Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms   Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 12:52 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Paul Potts cactus

Great stuff - Welsh crowd cheering every line... Did he win it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms   Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 1:01 am

cactus flower wrote:
Great stuff - Welsh crowd cheering every line... Did he win it?

I'd say so but I don't know. I found that on youtube and I think it's mighty. If he didn't win then there's no God.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms   Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 2:49 am

Such good singing

[youtube]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms   Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 2:59 am

Children singing is always very enjoyable. We used to host a musical festival at my secondary school every year for junior infants to sixth year school choirs, orchestras, individual choral and instrumental. Participating in it and in the organisation of it were amongst my fondest times in school.

Here is some nice singing by children in the UK:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms   Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 4:10 am

I would not be surprised if that girl's voice was destroyed by 18. Children should not be encouraged to overstretch their voices. Nor should anyone without proper vocal training.

On a broader note regarding vocal aerobics, I was talking to a member of the NSO on the weekend and we were just commenting on how such aerobics say to us - cannot hold a note.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms   Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 4:20 am

johnfás wrote:
I would not be surprised if that girl's voice was destroyed by 18. Children should not be encouraged to overstretch their voices. Nor should anyone without proper vocal training.

On a broader note regarding vocal aerobics, I was talking to a member of the NSO on the weekend and we were just commenting on how such aerobics say to us - cannot hold a note.

You're right about training, johnfás, but the probability is she'll have training. If you think she can't hold a note, you must be a tad tone deaf. She's a stunning singer. She sings from the heart, too. And if that makes any difference, when she was asked what would she do with the million she won, she said straight off she was giving some to her church, because they had helped her so much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms   Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 7:41 pm

I've thought about this some more. I can think of several former untrained child/teen stars and vocal gymnasts who have yelled their way throught life with no problems: -
Alanis Morisette, Ella Fitzgerald, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Kate Bush, Cher: I'm sure there are plenty more.

I can also think of a couple of the finest and most highly trained opera singers who lost their voices after very short careers - Maria Callas and the wonderful Margaret Burke Sheridan who I wrote about here:

https://machinenation.forumakers.com/music-literature-and-arts-f10/margaret-burke-sheridan-1888-1958-admirable-goddess-t451.htm

From what I can see drink, smoke and respiratory diseases can take a toll on people's voices, as well as, possibly, oversinging. In Callas's case it was under use of her voice, due to her liaison with Onassis, that ended her career - when she tried to return after a few years without performing, she found she could not recover her voice.

Could it be that the voice coaches are the ones who say that voice training is so critical to longevity of career?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms   Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 11:10 pm

ortoPilot singing Snow Patrol's Run. Wow. He's got a fine voice, more basic and personal guitar interpretation and an echo chamber. He sounds like someone - definitely not Leona Lewis. orto #1 for Christmas !

This song does it for me. It's so different and original, love it. He wrote it himself too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms   Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 1:32 am

He's got a good solid crisp style of guitar playing too. Now why do you like that song riadach ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms   Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 1:53 am

Not sure. I suppose the reference is made, he's talking about love and sacrificing yourself for a loved one, in the context of a video game. It's so romantic yet surreal. There is a good creative mix there, two great ideas, love and video games, to produce something uniquely new, fresh and original. Or even that something as simple as a video game can remind him of someone he loves. There seems to be a lot of depth there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms   Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 1:55 am

He stops the video game and doesn't get annoyed - are you sure it's real.

Well picked out - it's the next step for this thread to progress to the original ones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms   Great amateurs doing it alone in their bedrooms - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 11:57 pm

Alone together. This James Taylor duet is very nicely done here by this pair. Something in the way she moves. Your man plays the guitar tastily and the black and white is tasty too. Worth at least a pennyclik.