Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Irish Otter

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The Irish Otter Empty
PostSubject: The Irish Otter   The Irish Otter EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 9:35 pm

The Irish Otter Otter%20(livejournal)

The Irish Otter St%20Cuthbert%20(with%20otters)

There was a radio programme this morning about Irish otters, did anyone hear it? They are rare in most of europe mainly because of pesticide residues in fish, road deaths, water pollution and dog attacks. In Ireland there are still quite a few about, but they are not seen that often. Numbers dropped 18% in the 25 years to 2000.

I've been lucky enough to have seen otters six or seven times, because I live near a river.

The National Park and Wildflife Service produced an Action Plan for otter conservation earlier this year.

http://www.npws.ie/en/media/Media,5188,en.pdf

Once I saw a big dog otter crossing the road in front of me at night, and I had a few moments of mindless panic What a Face before I realised what it was.
Most of the times I've seen them they have been swimming early in the morning, but once my sister called me to the window and we watched a couple of otters rolling around in the sun on the opposite bank having a high old time.
Back to top Go down

The Irish Otter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Irish Otter   The Irish Otter EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 9:25 am

I heard from my grand-uncle years ago that when he used to go fishing at night, he had to put cinders in his boots because if an otter bit you, he wouldn't let go until he heard a crack. If the cinders produced the required noise, he would let go. If you had no cinders, the otter would hold on until the bone broke.
Back to top Go down

The Irish Otter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Irish Otter   The Irish Otter EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 10:36 am

Almost a true story Slim. My grand-uncle related the same tale but in his it was about an alligator. Which to believe?.
Back to top Go down

The Irish Otter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Irish Otter   The Irish Otter EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 11:35 am

youngdan wrote:
Almost a true story Slim. My grand-uncle related the same tale but in his it was about an alligator. Which to believe?.

My grand-uncle told me that when I was 8 years old and at 8, I was willing to believe him. I suppose it is plausible but I do accept that there is quite a difference between an Irish otter and an alligator. What would make the story totally implausible nowadays is that idea that somebody would have to go out in the middle of the night to provide food for the family in "the world's second richest country" or whatever the current baloney is that we use to describe the economic phenomenon that is Ireland.
Back to top Go down

The Irish Otter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Irish Otter   The Irish Otter EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 11:35 am

Saint Cuthbert above went out with them in bare feet. Saintly indeed.
Back to top Go down

The Irish Otter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Irish Otter   The Irish Otter EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 11:39 am

Slim Buddha wrote:
youngdan wrote:

My grand-uncle told me that when I was 8 years old and at 8, I was willing to believe him. I suppose it is plausible but I do accept that there is quite a difference between an Irish otter and an alligator. What would make the story totally implausible nowadays is that idea that somebody would have to go out in the middle of the night to provide food for the family in "the world's second richest country" or whatever the current baloney is that we use to describe the economic phenomenon that is Ireland.

My grandfather put fish on the family table too, but went out in the daytime and used the trout tickling technique. He used to lie on the bank with a book, where the trout were and slip his arm into the water. Running your fingers along the underside of a trout sends them into a state of hypnotic bliss - you then grab them firmly and throw them over your shoulder, so he said.
Back to top Go down

The Irish Otter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Irish Otter   The Irish Otter EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 11:57 am

Slim. It was a joke about the alligator. Cinders would be of little assistance if one of these big lizards grabbed you. Your granduncle, was actually telling you the truth. It was commonly told arround our way that when you went hunting badgers that sticks or twigs would be tied arround your lower leg. A badger is unbelieveable strong and it takes a massive pounding to kill him. You could forget about cracking his skull because your spade would crack first. Badgering was not for the faint of heart let me tell you. If the badger got your leg it was to be broken for sure. When the badger heard the sticks crack then hopefully the dumb beast would let go thinking that he had got you. You could not shoot the critter for fear of blowing off somelads jingle bells.

I never went hunting otters. They have special hounds called otter hounds but I doubt anyone does it nowadays. One would take precautions from that big rodent from grabbing your leg as well.
Back to top Go down

The Irish Otter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Irish Otter   The Irish Otter EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 12:09 pm

I think they are a protected species now, but a lot of otters have dog bite marks on them.

They aren't rodents though, like muskrats, I think they are closer relations to dogs.
Back to top Go down

The Irish Otter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Irish Otter   The Irish Otter EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 1:25 pm

cactus flower wrote:
I think they are a protected species now, but a lot of otters have dog bite marks on them.

They aren't rodents though, like muskrats, I think they are closer relations to dogs.

Badgers and Otters are Mustelids, related to weasels, stoats and such animals. They are protected under the 1976 Wildlife Act. A man in Carrick on Suir was prosecuted recently for Otter hunting, an unfortunately rare occurence (the prosecution that is).

The thing about the cinders was a common belief, although how you'd walk with a wellie full of cinders is a mystery. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

The Irish Otter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Irish Otter   The Irish Otter EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 1:28 pm

The Irish Otter 45_2

This apparently is an "Otter Hunting Boot".
Back to top Go down

The Irish Otter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Irish Otter   The Irish Otter EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 4:06 pm

cactus flower wrote:
The Irish Otter 45_2

This apparently is an "Otter Hunting Boot".

A hunting boot made by Otter, I hope.
Back to top Go down

The Irish Otter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Irish Otter   The Irish Otter EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 7:02 pm

http://nwhsa.redblackandgreen.net/mink_hunting.htm

This is a fascinating account of mink hunting and how to sabotage it.

Mink hunting has been taken up by otter hunts since otter hunting was made illegal but apparently it is very disruptive of otter populations too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Irish Otter Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Irish Otter   The Irish Otter Empty

Back to top Go down

The Irish Otter
Page 1 of 1