Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 6:46 pm

I was looking for a picture of the day today and came across this ... what a beauty. Coruscant here we come.

The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 Burj-dubai-picture-of-the-day

This is Coruscant (star wars I, II, III). Can we open a Coruscant thread? Can we can we can we

The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 Coruscant
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 7:09 pm

Blah blah, capitalist... blah, blah, oil.... blah, blah, islam...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 7:18 pm

The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 1828459835_8a7cfeccb8

I love the Doha skyline. But as I have mentioned before, if you want out-of-this-world looking building you can only look to Riyadh's Kingdom Centre...

The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 Kingdom_Tower_at_night
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 12:35 am

evercloserunion wrote:
So what, is Dubai going to be absolutely economically devastated in a few years then? Considering all the fuss made about our construction boom, and this is like that x1000...

They're a capitalist country with a housing boom sooo... (and I'm, really not sticking my neck out here) basically...yes. Boom will be followed by bust.

Sane, non-hyperbolic, never-mind-democratic, planning, which apportions social and environmental costs and the benefits of building correctly according to peoples' preferences etc etc, that's all hare-brained nonsense.

Just let the market and the sheik/dictator/party build it and then worry about equilibrium en all that rubbish. I mean, just look at all the purdy pictures of the buildings? What more could one want?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 12:37 am

I've never been to Dubai but I have been to Bahrain. Despite the purty buildings most of these places are horrible places to live.

I stayed in a compound which had a lovely swimming pool, tennis courts and squash courts. It was just a pity that we weren't safe straying much beyond where we were.

I think the buildings aren't particularly nice either. I would love to see a skyscraper go up with an arabic feel to it rather than just making the place look like downtown manhattan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 12:58 am

johnfás wrote:
I've never been to Dubai but I have been to Bahrain. Despite the purty buildings most of these places are horrible places to live.

I stayed in a compound which had a lovely swimming pool, tennis courts and squash courts. It was just a pity that we weren't safe straying much beyond where we were.

I think the buildings aren't particularly nice either. I would love to see a skyscraper go up with an arabic feel to it rather than just making the place look like downtown manhattan.

Not safe in Bahrain? How so?

Also there are plenty of buildings with a distinctly arabic feel to them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 1:08 am

May well have changed since I was there. I was there over a summer while I was in school. My friend's dad was an investment banker based there.

Could you post some pictures of these buildings with an arabic feel? I'd be interested to see them because it has not been the experience of what I have seen, bar perhaps the aspire tower which you posted on a previous page.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 1:21 am

Here are two. They were also some of the first which were built.

The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 5be1ca1abaa9db10ed850196503dca5f
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 1:24 am

Also the Dubai icon, Burj al Arab.
The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 Burj-al-arab
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 1:44 am

cookiemonster wrote:

The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 Kingdom_Tower_at_night

Heh heh heh, is that the building al Qaeda use for target practice?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 1:47 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

That's terribly non PC for you, AT.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 1:53 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

*shrug* I'm in a devil-may-care mood.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 2:43 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

Oh, how very exciting!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 2:48 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

Oh, how very exciting!

Exactly. I'll take on all comers. Is cuma liom.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 2:54 am

I'm thinking of taking a trip to Dubai after chirstmas. Might get in a bit of skiing while I'm there! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 2:57 am

cookiemonster wrote:
I'm thinking of taking a trip to Dubai after chirstmas. Might get in a bit of skiing while I'm there! Very Happy

That'd be brilliant. Take loads of photos and we can make a cool collage here on the Machine Nation. I'd also love to go skiing in Dubai for the sheer lunacy of the experience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 3:24 am

That or Washington DC. Though I may end up doing neither.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 3:30 am

cookiemonster wrote:

You could go for the inauguration in Washington. The end of the Bush era would be fun to see.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 3:42 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

You could go for the inauguration in Washington. The end of the Bush era would be fun to see.

ooohm excellent idea. But I can only imagine the accomodation costs in DC then!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2008 10:44 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

ooohm excellent idea. But I can only imagine the accomodation costs in DC then!

That's true. Perhaps you could hire an RV from Hertz and park it on Pennsylvania Avenue?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2008 11:07 pm

DC is quite a nice city - I would recommend it. The Smithsonian Institute is a fantastic resource. When I was there we did a tour of the White House and saw President Clinton land on the lawn in Marine One. I don't think you can take the tour now if you are not a US citizen (post 9/11 madness).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Did anyone mention this before?
www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2008/oct/06/architecture.middleeast

A one-kilometre-high building planned for Dubai. Believe it when you see it.

Just like most punters wouldn't bet on Sheikh Mohammed's horses these days, I wouldn't bet on this building reaching a finish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 9:56 pm

I was drinking with the project management team for the Atlantis Dubai project at the Irish Darby a few months ago. Oh the stories they told!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 9:57 pm

Oh how I long for a hot punch to the face of a summer in the gulf.

I *heart* the gulf states.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 12:05 am

soubresauts wrote:
Did anyone mention this before?
www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2008/oct/06/architecture.middleeast

A one-kilometre-high building planned for Dubai. Believe it when you see it.

Just like most punters wouldn't bet on Sheikh Mohammed's horses these days, I wouldn't bet on this building reaching a finish.

Believe it when you see it indeed - it's a good fraction of that Space Elevator on the other thread.
Quote :
The tower, at the centre of the Nakheel port and harbour complex, is to be "over one kilometre" high and have more than 200 floors, beating its nearest rival, the existing Burj Dubai tower, still under construction and due to rise to a mere 818 metres.

Mere - the Petronas towers are 450 metres tall ...

This yoke would be so big it would virtually be a city in itself

Quote :
The complex will provide homes and offices for 100,000 people. If all the reinforcing bars were laid end to end they would stretch from Dubai to New York - one quarter of the way round the world.

The tower will be so tall that it will have five different micro-climates.

The temperature in the atmosphere at the top of the building could be as much as 10 degrees cooler than at the bottom. High-speed lifts will allow people to see the sunset twice - from the bottom and again from the top of the building.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom   The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The beautiful madness of the Dubai building boom
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next