Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Irish Examiner: It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Irish Examiner:  It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win Empty
PostSubject: Irish Examiner: It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win   Irish Examiner:  It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 12:46 pm

The Irish Examiner is a paper that is Fine Gael down to its very dots and commas. As mentioned elsewhere, I sometimes think the print would curdle on the pages of the IE if it were deployed in the service of a compliment about FF.

Consistent with this, today's editorial while pleading for a yes vote, takes time out to say that the No vote is really a protest about Bertiegate and that it's all Brian Cowen's fault for not telling the Bert to get out of the playpen a lot sooner than he did.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=opinion-qqqm=opinion-qqqa=general-qqqid=64697-qqqx=1.asp
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Irish Examiner: It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win   Irish Examiner:  It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 1:17 pm

Well, I think it interfered with the campaign, distracting the public on both sides of the debate. Also distracting the media, who are probably the biggest educators in this kind of thing.

So I would say it foreshortened the time people had to get to grips with the complexities of the treaty, and to make a more informed decision.

I wouldn't go as far as saying a No vote is purely a Bertiegate protest. That's simplistic nonsense.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Examiner: It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win   Irish Examiner:  It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 1:23 pm

I think most FG people would not like to see Bertie as the EU President. There is a touch of irony about that considering they feel he negotiated such a brilliant deal for the Lisbon Treaty!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Examiner: It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win   Irish Examiner:  It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 1:29 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
I think most FG people would not like to see Bertie as the EU President. There is a touch of irony about that considering they feel he negotiated such a brilliant deal for the Lisbon Treaty!

I agree - the more I read it I take my hat of to the people who negotiated it - its not perfect by any means - but in the grown up world of give and take and hardball negotiation they did extremely well.

Pity then that the prices of houses will have more sway over voters intentions and the treaty will be thrown in the bin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Examiner: It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win   Irish Examiner:  It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 1:50 pm

In fairness to FG and others, FF did get John Bruton and Pronsias De Rossa in to help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Examiner: It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win   Irish Examiner:  It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 2:27 pm

The lack of a visible Taoiseach for much of the campaign did not help. Brian Cowen was slow out of the traps. When he did speak (lunchtime radio Sunday) he was quite impressive.

Having the Taoiseach who negotiated the Treaty reference the Gilligan defence did not help those using the "Trust us we're your leaders" argument.

All in all, I think FF have failed to govern over the last 9 months and have been extraordinarily passive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Examiner: It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win   Irish Examiner:  It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 2:32 pm

The Examiner also has an interesting draft letter that one of their columnists has written for Brian Cowen to write explaining a No vote.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Irish Examiner: It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win   Irish Examiner:  It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 2:42 pm

Helium Three wrote:
The Examiner also has an interesting draft letter that one of their columnists has written for Brian Cowen to write explaining a No vote.

That's feckin brilliant. Enjoyed that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Examiner: It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win   Irish Examiner:  It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 2:47 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Helium Three wrote:

Seconded.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Irish Examiner: It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win   Irish Examiner:  It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 3:14 pm

cactus flower wrote:
EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Helium Three wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Irish Examiner: It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win   Irish Examiner:  It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win Empty

Back to top Go down

Irish Examiner: It's all the fault of FF and Bertiegate if the Nos win
Page 1 of 1