Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

MN Book Club Book II: poll

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyFri May 30, 2008 5:47 pm

Im not sure - so Im voting NO Very Happy

Where is the none of the above option?

Man - just looking at the titles of those makes me tired!

BTW - have read all of them except for the smolin one at the end - and Im not going there again - especially that one on the EU!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyFri May 30, 2008 5:51 pm

Edo wrote:

BTW - have read all of them except for the smolin one at the end - and Im not going there again - especially that one on the EU!

Well Edo - just to encourage us - which one made you feel least tired?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyFri May 30, 2008 7:49 pm

What happened to I Hear You Paint Houses. Someone else recommended it and I also think it is a good pick so I am holding off for my 1 2 3 for a while.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyFri May 30, 2008 7:55 pm

youngdan wrote:
What happened to I Hear You Paint Houses. Someone else recommended it and I also think it is a good pick so I am holding off for my 1 2 3 for a while.
You're better off as we only allow you to vote once every 4 years here. Cast your vote for feck sake - we don't have enough people here besides - why boycott it? Use your imagination - what would you vote for IF you were voting? You're from the biggest democracy in the world and you don't want to vote - jaysus it wouldn't kill you to tick off some boxes and press send now would it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyFri May 30, 2008 8:11 pm

youngdan wrote:

I'll be reading it youngdan and if its a good read I will put it up for the next book in a month's time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyFri May 30, 2008 8:13 pm

Jaysus Audi they're all a little delicate of a Friday evening - don't they know people died so we could vote.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyFri May 30, 2008 8:40 pm

I would not dream of not voting I was just waiting to see if this were the final list of options. As I have read none of these options I will be happy no matter what.
I have picked my 3 but if it is just 1 option I will go with the EU one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyFri May 30, 2008 8:43 pm

And it's Klein and Stiglitz/Douthwaite neck and neck with Patten a nostrilhair behind....

Whether you are in the book club or not please vote
Goto Poll
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyFri May 30, 2008 9:11 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Edo wrote:

Well Edo - just to encourage us - which one made you feel least tired?

Rubicon is a fluent and fluid exposition of the social, historical and political evolution of the late Roman Republic/Early Roman Empire.

It is an easy, yet substantial read.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptySat May 31, 2008 7:01 pm

Douthwaite and Stiglitz have the edge, with Klein and Booker coming up behind neck and neck. bounce

Edo's revelation that he has read all of them made me feel inclined to cry. pale
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 2:51 pm

Arrgh! just lost a post there.

Can we put the book club off til tomorrow please - I'm not working anyway, and it's more like Sunday then no? I'm off for a drive today and don't think I'll be back in time. I'm reading about Japan now and it's interesting me. I'd like pay a bit more attention to it now too as it's getting serious with the First world problems now appearing.

By the way, if you look for Tikopia and Howth at the same altitude in google earth you will see they are of the same size, Tikopia being slightly smaller and the lagoon occupies one third of it.

See ya

Also learned that Edo was the name for Tokyo once - any relation?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 3:03 pm

The Japan chapter in Collapse? Keep an eye out and see if he mentions the fact that the Japanese import tons of wood, contributing to deforestation outside Japan. He mentions it at the end but I think he ignores it in the actual chapter on Japanese forestry, which I think is a bit of an oversight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 5:53 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Arrgh! just lost a post there.

Can we put the book club off til tomorrow please - I'm not working anyway, and it's more like Sunday then no? I'm off for a drive today and don't think I'll be back in time. I'm reading about Japan now and it's interesting me. I'd like pay a bit more attention to it now too as it's getting serious with the First world problems now appearing.

By the way, if you look for Tikopia and Howth at the same altitude in google earth you will see they are of the same size, Tikopia being slightly smaller and the lagoon occupies one third of it.

See ya

Also learned that Edo was the name for Tokyo once - any relation?

Hi Audi - yes I'd like to put it off too - I'll turn up on-line in case anyone else wants to chat about Collapse and I'll do a bit of reading. Tomorrow would be fine. I'll pm anyone whose name is on the thread to let them know about tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 10:44 pm

Very Happy Bump

Get your votes in and we'll pick a book on Monday night.
Book Club is moved to Monday (tomorrow night) 9.30 at Auditor's request, but I'll be online tonight same time if anyone wants to chat about Collapse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 10:58 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Very Happy Bump

Book Club is moved to Monday (tomorrow night) 9.30 at Auditor's request, but I'll be online tonight same time if anyone wants to chat about Collapse.
Ha! Just in time for the season finale of Lost. I think I might be washing my hair tomorrow, sorry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 11:01 pm

905 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Very Happy Bump

Ha! Just in time for the season finale of Lost. I think I might be washing my hair tomorrow, sorry.

Thats all right 905- I saw your comment about the Japanese and wood and agreed with it.
Anything else you think we should look out for?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 6:41 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
300 million?! 300 megabytes I suppose.
Nope.
Smile Over 300 Million potential webpages. The database backing this site
is about 200G.

Quote :
Any chance of a sub contract? I can write html now just look at
my work everywhere. I had a good master though - evm0197.
I want
to try writing the html myself. I am now on the cutting edge -
Web 0.2 at the moment. Smile The problem with a large site is that every
byte counts in the html and css.

I've voted. But I will not get a chance to buy/read the book this week.

Regards...jmcc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 6:46 pm

Looks like if we want to read the Great Deception before voting we had better just go and get it without waiting for a result...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 9:40 pm

Vote for Rubicon, I promise you it's a great read and you'll get a lot of enjoyment from the story it tells and how it tells it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 9:46 pm

Who gets the casting vote if it ends up a draw between the two pairs of books now in the lead? That's what I want to know.... I had thought of throwing in another option, just to shake things up a bit

Jack Holland: A Brief History of Misogyny, The World's Oldest Prejudice

Is that very bold, at this late hour?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 9:50 pm

A post-off as to which one people really want to read in book club. If 5 people wanted to read one, and a different 5 people the other, we could have two threads and meet after in the Sibín.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 9:51 pm

Kate P wrote:
Who gets the casting vote if it ends up a draw between the two pairs of books now in the lead? That's what I want to know.... I had thought of throwing in another option, just to shake things up a bit

Jack Holland: A Brief History of Misogyny, The World's Oldest Prejudice

Is that very bold, at this late hour?

That sounds interesting, I don't know if it'll be accepted as another book to look at since (I believe) we're supposed to nominate one this evening.

It certainly sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 9:52 pm

cactus flower wrote:
A post-off as to which one people really want to read in book club. If 5 people wanted to read one, and a different 5 people the other, we could have two threads and meet after in the Sibín.

Like you said before: this is where we cut the baby in half! Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 9:54 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

God...did I? Shocked (looks around for sewing needle and thread...)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 9:56 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

God...did I? Shocked (looks around for sewing needle and thread...)

You did, when we were discussing judgements Solomonic!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

MN Book Club Book II: poll
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next