Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

MN Book Club Book II: poll

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 10:40 pm

Now if Edo were to pop by he might have some words of wisdom, having read the entire list.

Once he could be sure he wouldn't be cut in half Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 10:59 pm

This is how we will decide it:

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Armchair Activist wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Armchair Activist wrote:
Aways interesting to know what people are into Very Happy

It's the way God intended it to be.

Some how I get the feeling you already knew that result... Wink

Laughing

What ever could you mean by that?
http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?f=164&t=29343&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 11:06 pm

Ru-bi-con, Ru-bi-con, Ru-bi-con!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 11:10 pm

I think there may be a problem with

THIS

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 11:14 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
I think there may be a problem with

THIS

Yes, there is quite an issue there.

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct my own spelling - oops)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 11:17 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Alea iacta est?

Regards...jmcc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 11:19 pm

jmcc wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Alea iacta est?

Regards...jmcc

Certe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Well, have been zipping thru Klein's Shock Doctrine in the last couple of days anyway! I still recommend it, it's sooo nice to zip thru a book after the slog, to be honest, that was Collapse.

Will revist Jeffrey Sachs' End of Poverty with a more critical eye as Klein is definitely gunning for him so far. Stigilitz has had a positive mention as being the only economic bigwig who had doubts about the Washington Consensus.

Milton Friedman and his "Chicago Boys" - Pinochet in Chile -Argentina, Bolivia (Sachs - Evil or Very Mad ), Poland (Sachs again Evil or Very Mad ), China and just starting on Russia in 1990.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 05, 2008 11:47 pm

Atticus wrote:
Well, have been zipping thru Klein's Shock Doctrine in the last couple of days anyway! I still recommend it, it's sooo nice to zip thru a book after the slog, to be honest, that was Collapse.

Will revist Jeffrey Sachs' End of Poverty with a more critical eye as Klein is definitely gunning for him so far. Stigilitz has had a positive mention as being the only economic bigwig who had doubts about the Washington Consensus.

Milton Friedman and his "Chicago Boys" - Pinochet in Chile -Argentina, Bolivia (Sachs - Evil or Very Mad ), Poland (Sachs again Evil or Very Mad ), China and just starting on Russia in 1990.

Right - I'm getting Shock, Shocked after the worthy slog of Collapse. Sad I have started re-reading Douthwaite to go with Stiglitz and now you go and drop Sachs on me... Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 1:12 am

Atticus wrote:

Yeah I'll go for The Shock Doctrine as my choice. It's a really quick read despite the size. The scope of the book, the pacing and the whole 'disaster capitalism' concept or angle is very interesting. I also found it a useful and page-turning 'companion' to David Harvey's “'A Brief History of Neoliberalism,'.

I've Rubicon on a shelf waiting to be read. Heard great things about it.

A possible future choice is Stiglitz's bud, Ha-Joon Chang and his
Bad Samaritans: The Myth of Free Trade and the Secret History of Capitalism
http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=9653
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 2:04 am

So is this pick and mix or are we all reading Shock? I'm confused...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 2:08 am

Doutewaite and Stiglitz Kate - the rest are recommended summer reading.

Collapse is hard enough going all the same.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 11:00 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Doutewaite and Stiglitz Kate - the rest are recommended summer reading.

Collapse is hard enough going all the same.

Heck Audi - what have we done - what about Jilly Cooper, why wasn't she on the list?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 11:09 am

Jilly Cooper - is she the horsey Mills and Boon type?

I have Douthwaite's book anyway which was tough to get even in the vast metropolis of Ennis (I don't shop on the internet at all Embarassed) but I still have to finish Collapse ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 11:35 am

I have Douthwaite too but will have to Amazon Stiglitz. Its easy Auditor #9 - visa in hand it takes about 2 minutes, then the book usually comes 3-7 days later.
Collapse is like eating muesli dry - the author's analogy of a boa constrictor with two or three goats in it was also not far off. I am on the third goat. Perhaps if we just took one last look at the things he says are the usefull lessons for avoiding Collapse, duty would be done ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 3:14 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Collapse is like eating muesli dry - the author's analogy of a boa constrictor with two or three goats in it was also not far off. I am on the third goat. Perhaps if we just took one last look at the things he says are the usefull lessons for avoiding Collapse, duty would be done ?
I'm all for that ! It did get me back into reading though - I'd lost it somehow of late. I was visiting the Cedar Lounge site the other day where they were discussing some tome and got the idea of a project for the future in terms of discussion rather than debate where we could try to make a summary of the seminal Left theory/practice going around at present OR moreso maybe to have a look at a book or theory in history that was a departure from the Left of Marxist thought or something like that ("Economic Democracy" by Clifford Hugh Douglas came to mind - a book I came across in college which was written around the time of WWI and which took on Marxism in the light of new movements in energy and technology at the time. CH Douglas was an American major in WWI)

Quote :
I have Douthwaite too but will have to Amazon Stiglitz. Its easy Auditor #9 - visa in hand it takes about 2 minutes, then the book usually comes 3-7 days later.

MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 Nail-biter
Auditor at the thought
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 3:33 pm

ah, glasses I hadn't expected. Figured on the rest!! Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 5:10 pm

Atticus wrote:
ah, glasses I hadn't expected. Figured on the rest!! Wink Very Happy

Same here, Atticus, except with me it was hair colour.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MN Book Club Book II: poll   MN Book Club Book II: poll - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

MN Book Club Book II: poll
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3