Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Arguments about climate change

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage

Arguments about climate change - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 7:47 pm

youngdan wrote:
Just as well those geoligists keep to looking at stones because if they had put their money where their mouth is they would have been cleaned out.

They work for oil companies. Being a contrarian on peak oil is like being a contrarian on arithmetic - it just says "denial". Peak oil is a geological certainty, and the opinion of the finance boys doesn't matter a rat's ass, partly because (as we've seen recently) even the cleverest of them is only about 1% as clever as they think they are.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 3:39 am

Well tell that to Pinkins and his windmills, he has just lost 2 billion dollars because he listened to guys like you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 6:21 pm

youngdan wrote:
Well tell that to Pinkins and his windmills, he has just lost 2 billion dollars because he listened to guys like you

So you don't believe in peak oil either? What planet do you live on youngdan? It certainly isn't Earth. You've mistook this decade's coolness for a refutation of global warming when it's nothing but a short term variation in a longer-term trend of planetary heating and you've mistook the falls in the price of oil for a refutation of peak oil. The reason why the price of oil is down to 40 dollars is that the majority of the world will see a fall in demand over the next year or so as the world recession bites. That doesn't change the underlying geological reality. The Cantarell field is still rapidly declining, Ghawar is peaking out, Russian oil production has plateaued, UK oil production is in full decline, US oil production has been declining since the Seventies and the people who model these things see us at the top of the mountain:

Arguments about climate change - Page 17 783px-PU200611_Fig1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 7:45 pm

All those fields are in decline and for them peak oil has arrived. For the Brazilians the oil is just beginning to flow. They have discovered oil in the Dakotas 3 times the size of the ME and depending on who you believe Alaska has enough for up to 200 years.

I know you 5 Sweltering Amigos do not like reality but here it is anyway. The Yanks have gobbled up all your oil by buying it with printed up confetti. The Europeans, Ah-rabs and Ching-Changs were stupid enough to accept confetti and now must beg Putin for gas.

Meanwhile in the real world oil is 35 dollars and it is freeezing here. So I am cranking up the heat and going fo a drive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 8:34 pm

I'm beginning to feel like the bloke in the Monty Python sketch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 9:34 pm

While I believe in global warming, it will be most interesting to see what the stats are like for this winter, because it has been a lot colder than has recently been normal in South Dublin, at any rate. And we aint even got to jan-march yet. Bord Gas will be making record profits, whatever about anyone else.

Time to get that Corrib gas onshore... the Russians are waving supply threats at the Ukrainians again. Energy security should trump the banana principle, even in Ireland.... or hot food might become a thing of the past....

Not sure I'm a fan of carbon credits, looks like bureaucracy and opportunities for corporate malfeasance will abound. Kiss principle people, 'tis called FUEL TAX.

Peak oil will mean it will soon be called RATIONING. Young Dan, your new pres is unlikely to make drilling in Alaska his first priority. The current price drops are a disaster as they make the Brazilian deep drilling less likely, as it is more costly. And you underestimate the power that Obama's popularity and novelty will give him, for at least the next 6 months. Everyone from Alan Greenspan downward has been blaming the Bush deficits and mismanagements on....Bush. He will be given space to manoevre for the first year. And since the Clintons are effectively part of his cabinet, I would expect competence at the very least. And he will get international co-operation; American expats in Europe at least are delighted with the sudden popularity they are on the receiving end of since the electorate said Hasta la Vista Baby for the skangers in the White house until Jan 20th
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 9:44 pm

ibis wrote:
I'm beginning to feel like the bloke in the Monty Python sketch.

me too buddy, me too Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 10:16 pm

Maybe I do underestimate the effect of Obama's popularity but I would say that even this soon there are a lot of leftists who held civil liberties and antiwar leanings who are regretting they ever heard of Obama.

Bush and Obama are the same and time will prove it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 2:42 am

I'm not expecting anti war from any US president (although it would be nice). A few moves on lessening fossil fuel dependence and reversing the science funding cuts would do it for me. I'm impressed with the pre-school plan too.

My biggest worry is the protectionist streak. it could clobber the Irish economy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 2:48 am

A bit of a blizzard here today.

Tonight I am doing The Door in the bar that I sold in 2006. A chilly job. If anyone needs evicting I will pretend they are Ibis and stick their head in the snow bank to cool off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:10 am

I'm sure it won't come to physical violence. You can just shoot them, right? You can still pretend it ibis though.

Serioulsly, don't let ibis get you down. you know the fellow only wants to get arise out of ya. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 3:52 am

If I pretend it is Ibis I have a problem. He will argue forever. Then when my temperture rises he will have proof that despite the snow that I am suffering the effects of global warming. Papal will say that the snow is weather but my ire is climate, hence one falling while the other rises. Then EVM will say that there is a full moon, fully landed on. A-T will fall out the door ranting that the bar made a fortune and the economy is good. Cactus will stumble out and who cares what she says as I will be using the confusion to grab her MaryHarney.

I will be thinking of all while watching the party
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:11 am

And I shall prop up the bar, declare you all idiots, and make libellious accusations about Cookie to an aghast Johnfás, who shall be suffering the role as designated driver.

Has anyone ascribed to us all familial roles yet? I know ther were political roles. younmgdan as the crazy maternal grandfather (akin to granny in the Beverly Hillbillies), Kate P as the mother, Ibis as the sensible one somewhere, riadach - anyone heard from riadach lately? - the uncle? A-T the paternal granather, instiling (vainly in us all the values that we shun.

Setiously, global warming debates need more than anecdotal evidence. One more remarkfrom you about the terrible weather ye're having and I shall be forced to write an angry letter. Oh God rest Brendan McWilliams, he could convince the m,ost resolute global-warming deniers of the folly of their ways. He did me. Himself takes the good for himself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:24 am

I am not going to talk about warming or chilling anymore after this.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/environment-minister-sammy-wilson-i-still-think-manmade-climate-change-is-a-con-14123972.html

Now I am on the same side as the Unionists so if that is not a sign of armageddan what is.

I am also the correct side of 50 for a few years yet which to evercloserunion may be old. I am not half as bitter as he will be in 30 years time
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:29 am

You're on the same side as one Unionist. It is Armaghgeton
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 4:47 am

youngdan wrote:
I am not going to talk about warming or chilling anymore after this.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/environment-minister-sammy-wilson-i-still-think-manmade-climate-change-is-a-con-14123972.html

Now I am on the same side as the Unionists so if that is not a sign of armageddan what is.

I am also the correct side of 50 for a few years yet which to evercloserunion may be old. I am not half as bitter as he will be in 30 years time
Oh Wilson's just a controversialist. That's what they call controversialists up there: politicians. You're not lumping yourself with that lot are you? What about your new-year's resolutions yd? What about?

And again with the negative armageddon waves. was there even one positive prediction made tonight? (apart from myself who was making an effort) I think it's a human universal to reckon the old days were best and the present is shite with no hope, none at all, for the future. Kind of sounds like global warming now that you mention it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 11:59 am

All I can say about tonight is Yikes.

There is plenty of potential for optimism for Ireland but not with the present leadership or indeed the alternative.

We were talking about T Boone Pinkins earlier. He would make Ireland energy independent in jig time. If it can not be self sufficient in food something is wrong and they have killed tourism. Industry could be saved easy enough as well.

It is just too expensive. First things must get so bad that sanity will return
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 3:10 am

youngdan wrote:
A bit of a blizzard here today.

Tonight I am doing The Door in the bar that I sold in 2006. A chilly job. If anyone needs evicting I will pretend they are Ibis and stick their head in the snow bank to cool off.
Happy New Year Dan.
Hope the night went well.
By the way,did you have to dispatch any mis-guided souls to the external chill-out zone?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 6:08 am

I have done the door for about 15 years and last night ranked up there for coldness. I only had to use the "private party" once and there was a shortage of drunks. A minor squable and a group of Americans left without incident. As you would have seen yourself, the bollox from Mayo then made the burst to go outside with the predictable restraint applied.

In my libertarian world this fool would be let out where he would have the shythe kicked out of him up and down the road. I missed a massive beating a few weeks ago where a donkey from Clare who always causes trouble gave guff to a group of Australians. He made 2 horrific mistakes, there was nobody brave, foolish or drunk to break it up and he went out the back door. No cops passing
by the alley and he was bet like a kangaroo till he thought he was back in The Burren.

Who needs a DJ when you can watch a crucifiction live.

After the door then I went driving people home. To add to my good fortune I found a 20 in the ATM tray and a 10 on the floor.

Many the time down through the years I had to stand in one spot for quite a while at the end of the night. Only when the crowd was dispersed could I retrieve the 100 bill under my shoe. A lot of cash is dropped by drunks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 1:45 am

Some UK weather forecasters have just predicted a record breakingly cold January..... just as the Russians are threatening the Ukrainians again and the gas supplies are looking shaky. You couldn't make this up.

I'd trust UK weather forecasting, it's one of the few areas in which they are still world beating.....they've done really good stuff with climate science in the last few years....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 2:07 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1103843/Boozy-Britains-bloody-New-Year-A-999-seven-seconds-alcohol-induced-mayhem.html

I was reading this after I got home last night. Imagine being the girl passed out in the cold in that dress.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 5:20 am

Well, 2008 was the 10th warmest year since weather records have been kept:

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/dec2008/2008-12-18-02.asp
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 11:21 pm

not here, it wasn't. Isn't. -9 in Oxfordshire last night. Go figure. Usually, too, it is the end of January that is the coldest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 11:23 pm

expat girl wrote:
not here, it wasn't. Isn't. -9 in Oxfordshire last night. Go figure. Usually, too, it is the end of January that is the coldest.

It's supposed to be an extremely cold January, so it could get colder yet. youngdan will be continue to be both delighted and incorrect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 11:25 pm

Meanwhile, the ski resorts will just be delighted! that is, if anyone can afford it any more!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arguments about climate change   Arguments about climate change - Page 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

Arguments about climate change
Page 17 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21 ... 25  Next