Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Hedgerows in County Meath

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Hedgerows in County Meath Empty
PostSubject: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:09 pm

Just heard that Meath County Council have sprayed all the hedgerows along national roads with 2-4-D in order to 'control weeds'.

Apparently, the damage to the hedgerows will be irreparable.

I don't often say this, but whoever is responsible for this should be quite literally taken out and shot.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:13 pm

Where did you hear this seinfeld ? Is it public ?

Never heard of 24D but it looks like nasty stuff.

What's wrong with weeds anyway. They are supposed to grow in hedgerows.

Dandelions, nettles, buttercups, docks, poppies, sour bellies, daisies, primroses, thistles etc... I love them all. Not on my lawn though

Last edited by EvotingMachine0197 on Wed May 21, 2008 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:15 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Where did you hear this seinfeld ? Is it public ?

Never heard of 24D but it looks like nasty stuff.

It was on Pat Kenny.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:21 pm

They do have an obligation to eradicate certain weeds like ragwort. If they didn't deal with the weeds then there'd be public outcry about poisoning cattle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:22 pm

905 wrote:
They do have an obligation to eradicate certain weeds like ragwort. If they didn't deal with the weeds then there'd be public outcry about poisoning cattle.

You keep cattle on national roads?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:23 pm

Yeh, but presumably the council sprayed the road side of the hedge. Cattle live on the other side.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:24 pm

Will this stuff damage hawthorn and other hedge bushes ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:34 pm

Apparently, the hedgerows have already started dying.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:38 pm

seinfeld wrote:

Apparently, the hedgerows have already started dying.

Jesus. Taxpayers money used to massacre local flora. Presumably the County Engineer allowed this to proceed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Yeh, but presumably the council sprayed the road side of the hedge. Cattle live on the other side.
Weeds have this incredible ability to spread. Scientists have been working on it for years but all they can say is it might have something to with those 'seeds' (sp?) a weed regularly produces.

Seriously, the main source of weeds in the fields are hedges. It's no use farmers dousing the place in herbicide when the hedges are full of dock leaves and ragwort. They get fined if these plants are found in their fields, in theory. In reality the farmer would laugh the council out of court, seeing as the biggest source of weeds is the roadside.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:59 pm

905 wrote:
Weeds have this incredible ability to spread. Scientists have been working on it for years but all they can say is it might have something to with those 'seeds' (sp?) a weed regularly produces.

Ha Ha !

Quote :
Seriously, the main source of weeds in the fields are hedges. It's no use farmers dousing the place in herbicide when the hedges are full of dock leaves and ragwort. They get fined if these plants are found in their fields, in theory. In reality the farmer would laugh the council out of court, seeing as the biggest source of weeds is the roadside.

Well a farmer can spray heges on his own land as much as he likes. He's paying for it and it's his choice.

We're talking about spraying the roadside of a national route here. Different ballgame.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 2:07 pm

National route roadsides have weeds too, illegal weeds. And they spread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 2:13 pm

905 wrote:

This has nothing to do with agriculture. Weeds also grow in people's gardens. Should Local Authorities be sending out crews to spray people's front laws with Roundup?

The NRA wrote to Meath County Council expressing concern about encroachment of verges on national routes. Most Local Authorities would have responded by trimming the verges with a tractor mounted mower.

Not in Meath, however, where some heathen decided that it would be far more effcient just to kill off all the flora on the road verge with sufficiently powerful chemical.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Oh, well that's different. *sulkily*The first post mentioned weeds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 3:21 pm

i think the idea is to deal with weeds without killing everything else. and not to spray _all_ hedgerows where there is no evidence of noxious weeds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 3:46 pm

905 wrote:

I remember spending hours clearing a field of ragworth - I didn't realise I was doing it under pain of prosecution though! How have these weeds been outlawed? And what are people supposed to do with nettle stings (not to mention other emergencies) if dock leaves are banned?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 3:49 pm

Quite a lot of what grows along roads can be termed weeds. But ragwort, dock leaves and thistles are the illegal ones, which the authorities have an obligation to kill.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 3:52 pm

Who says they are illegal ? is there a statute or other instrument to say so ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 3:56 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
905 wrote:

I remember spending hours clearing a field of ragworth - I didn't realise I was doing it under pain of prosecution though! How have these weeds been outlawed? And what are people supposed to do with nettle stings (not to mention other emergencies) if dock leaves are banned?
It's terribly poisonous to cattle, who don't recognise it as such. I think it's illegal in the UK too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 4:00 pm

This is all the legal info I could get on it:
Quote :
Because Ragwort is so lethal, it has been illegal to allow it grow on your property. Many years ago, the Gardaí were very vigilant but since responsibility for prosecuting ragwort growers passed from the Gardaí to the Dept. of Agriculture, enforcement has all but ceased. This has led to the spread of the plant throughout the country, leading to our present predicament.
From Mooney Goes Wild of all places!
http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/schoolwatch/ragwort.html

For another perspective: http://www.ragwortfacts.com/ragwort-myths.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyWed May 21, 2008 9:19 pm

seinfeld wrote:

I don't often say this, but whoever is responsible for this should be quite literally taken out and shot.

You hold him down...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyTue May 27, 2008 1:56 am

The verges and hedgrows will probably be badly damaged, rumor has it that hundreds of kilometers of roadway have been treated in this way.
I hope this is not true. The Ragworth will be there again next year while many rare plants which actually have found refuge by the roadside will be gone for good, clever fellas in Meath County Council.
To make things worse this is all beacuse of a directive sent to ALL councils on the subject of noxious weed control which was enthuastically implemented by Meath co co.
ALL councils could have done this by now!! as its the best time to apply herbicide for most weeds.

Where is the accountability?

Who will answer for this blatant habitat destruction?

They must have had no training or cared little for the environment for which they are responsible either way this is vandilisim pure and simple A "quick fix" solution implemented by fools who shot first and didnt even know / care about the consequences.

Will we learn? ... NO! Will heads roll? ... NO!

FOOLS
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyTue May 27, 2008 2:05 am

greebug wrote:
The verges and hedgrows will probably be badly damaged, rumor has it that hundreds of kilometers of roadway have been treated in this way.
I hope this is not true. The Ragworth will be there again next year while many rare plants which actually have found refuge by the roadside will be gone for good, clever fellas in Meath County Council.
To make things worse this is all beacuse of a directive sent to ALL councils on the subject of noxious weed control which was enthuastically implemented by Meath co co.
ALL councils could have done this by now!! as its the best time to apply herbicide for most weeds.

Where is the accountability?

Who will answer for this blatant habitat destruction?

They must have had no training or cared little for the environment for which they are responsible either way this is vandilisim pure and simple A "quick fix" solution implemented by fools who shot first and didnt even know / care about the consequences.

Will we learn? ... NO! Will heads roll? ... NO!

FOOLS

There may be one person at most with any ecological training in Meath County Council and a busload of engineers. I don't think it has happened in our county as there is no sign of dead stuff along the roadsides. The best thing to do if you are worried is ring your local councillors and ask them to check it out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyTue May 27, 2008 2:30 am

I saw it around the backroads of West Clare over the weekend - the burned edges of the grass. Sometimes you hear people expressing pride in themselves that they controlled the weeds in this way. A good job done.

Poisonous basturds.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath EmptyTue May 27, 2008 2:38 am

I've been thinking about weeds a lot since seinfeld started this thread, and because I've been trying to persuade them to vacate my lawn lately.

If the weather is good at the weekend, I'm going to spend an hour photographing loads of weeds. They're all growing like mad this time of year. Also, there are weeds in Meath that I have never seen in Portmarnock, and vice versa.

Can we have a Weed Solidarity day on MN ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hedgerows in County Meath   Hedgerows in County Meath Empty

Back to top Go down

Hedgerows in County Meath
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next