Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet


Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Share | 
 

 Great Places to Eat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 1:21 am

Having had another unpleasant lunch today (because the place we wanted to go to was closed because the extractor fans weren't working - Real Gourmet Burger people, sort it out), I'd like to suggest that people use this thread to point out good places to eat in their area or wherever they've been. Maybe mention the price bracket, whether it's a lunch and/or dinner place - what you liked about it.

And if you're going somewhere and want to know where's good to eat, ask here and we'll see what we can do.

And we'll try to keep it positive in the main - if you've something good to add about an eaterie, please do.

In Portlaoise Jim's Country Kitchen in Hynd's Square - just off Main Street, does real food - but lunch only. Yummy cakes and desserts for tea and really good lunches. A main course is about 12 Euro. There is a carvery with two joints each day and a vegetarian pasta (not too exciting). There is a really good selection of other vegetarian dishes like quiches, lentil loaves and a tasty variety of salads. Everything is really fresh and there is some organic food too. It's actually, really homecooked food - not pretend. And he bakes a great selection of breads. He also presents food very nicely - and you can have a half portion if you want.

Recommendations: brown bread, tomato tartlet with selection of salads, roulades


If someone could recommend somewhere in Dun Laoghaire, I'm all ears.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 1:31 am

The Real Gourmet Burger place, which you wanted to eat in, is very nice. In Dun Laoghaire you also have Bits and Pizzas, which is cheap and cheerful, or the GastroPub Company which is also OK, on Marine Road. It is a pity Roly Saul has closed his restaurant at the Pavilion.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 1:49 am

Kate P wrote:
If someone could recommend somewhere in Dun Laoghaire, I'm all ears.

I used to go to a place called Tonic in Blackrock. It was good, but that was 3 years ago.

I've come to avoid eating out. Its pot luck what you get these days, and nobody knows the basics of service anymore.

eg

"I'll have a gin and tonic"

"Do you want ice and lemon?"

Rolling Eyes

Anytime I eat out now, I order a burger. Its hard to screw up burger, but there are lots of places that give it their best shot.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 2:08 am

Great places in Dun Laoghaire? I only know Burger King.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 2:13 am

johnfás wrote:
The Real Gourmet Burger place, which you wanted to eat in, is very nice. In Dun Laoghaire you also have Bits and Pizzas, which is cheap and cheerful, or the GastroPub Company which is also OK, on Marine Road. It is a pity Roly Saul has closed his restaurant at the Pavilion.

There is a little first floor cafe on the old main street that you might like. Food is better than the service. I can't remember its name.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 2:17 am

Seinfeld wrote
Quote :
Anytime I eat out now, I order a burger. Its hard to screw up burger, but there are lots of places that give it their best shot.

See, that was my mistake today. I had fish in a seafood restaurant and Husband had a burger. My stomach is growling now because I left more than half of it but he's happily sleeping off his full meal.

Yes, johnfás, it is a pity about Roly's. We ate there a couple of times. I've seen the Gastropub but it reminds me from the outside of the Queen Vic so I wasn't sure about it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 2:45 am

Is Rolys an italian place? in monkfishtown? I was there a few times and I don't remember a thing ... nice upstairs I think :?

Yammamori noodles is your only man and the veggie place on exchequer street and the Kildare Hotel for carvery on Dawson street or whatever it's called..
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 2:52 am

Wagamama

Da Vincis of Leixlip makes tasty pastas and pizzas.

Finnstown House of Lucan make delicious sticky toffee puddings.

Yamamori is indeed nice and I've enjoyed their food.

Avocas is good, but way too expensive most of the time.

Gruel on Dame Street is another place I'd recommend for breakfast.

Millstone on the same street do very good pastas and pizzas.

The Epicurean Food Hall is a grand place in which there's plenty of mileage in terms of places to visit.

There are very good chippers in Howth who do the best cod/haddock/whiting and chips you'll taste this side of Killybegs.

Those are the gastronomic sites I can think of at the moment. Try them and enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 2:58 am

In cork the Quay Co-Op for veggie and wholefood

Cafe Paradaiso for more expensive veggie food

the ivory tower - where the chefs go to eat (hosted by seamus mcmahon?) and though you'll get veggie there you'd be as well off to try the venison or veal. He was the man who invented irish breakfast sushi

Lennox's for dirty hangover food - uughh (but great at the time)


Last edited by Auditor #9 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 3:00 am

McDonalds! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 3:03 am

Lads you can't beat Carvery and you can't beat Eddie Rockets especially the milk shakes o god
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 3:04 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Lads you can't beat Carvery and you can't beat Eddie Rockets especially the milk shakes o god

And the veggie burger is quite good in Eddie Rockets.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 4:49 pm

My house, now that I've learned to make brown bread. Shouldn't this be in the sadly neglected food thread?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 5:01 pm

The Bald Barista on Aungier Street - a great lunch-time restaurant (not open in the evenings, sadly). Great selection of home made quiches - the best I've tasted - served with a great big heap of freshly prepared salad. The food is nicely presented and they do really good breakfasts as well. Very reasonably priced - friendly and helpful service too.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 5:07 pm

Nico's on Dame Street is also fantastic, especially for the charm.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 5:26 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Lads you can't beat Carvery and you can't beat Eddie Rockets especially the milk shakes o god

I half disagree with you:
99 times out of a hundred you can indeed beat carvery with a big stick and a few rubbery vegetables. Uuuughh.

But Eddie Rockets is good - I had a fish burger there lately and it was good.

I like Avoca very much - downstairs in Suffolk Street is less spendy than upstairs and there's a good takeaway salad bar too but that is spendy.

Afternoon tea at the Four Seasons is one of the best meals I've ever had.

If you're in Tullamore this weekend to welcome home Mr Cowen, Sirroco's just down from the Garda Station is really good - freshly prepared in the moment - pizzas, pasta, fish, chicken, steak etc. Yummy tiramisu. It's good enough value too - pizzas especially.

Lunch in Tullamore Court Hotel is good too - I don't eat spuds much when I'm out because they're too filling and I'll be asleep for the afternoon but their mash is very good. Good chowder.

Great chowder and fabulous mash at Fallons of Kilcullen. The late lamented Red House moved its menu (part of it) and its kitchen to what used to be Berney's of Kilcullen. I haven't been there for a little while - but it was really good. Delicious creme brulée.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 9:39 pm

Kate P wrote:
Having had another unpleasant lunch today (because the place we wanted to go to was closed because the extractor fans weren't working - Real Gourmet Burger people, sort it out), I'd like to suggest that people use this thread to point out good places to eat in their area or wherever they've been. Maybe mention the price bracket, whether it's a lunch and/or dinner place - what you liked about it.

And if you're going somewhere and want to know where's good to eat, ask here and we'll see what we can do.

And we'll try to keep it positive in the main - if you've something good to add about an eaterie, please do.

In Portlaoise Jim's Country Kitchen in Hynd's Square - just off Main Street, does real food - but lunch only. Yummy cakes and desserts for tea and really good lunches. A main course is about 12 Euro. There is a carvery with two joints each day and a vegetarian pasta (not too exciting). There is a really good selection of other vegetarian dishes like quiches, lentil loaves and a tasty variety of salads. Everything is really fresh and there is some organic food too. It's actually, really homecooked food - not pretend. And he bakes a great selection of breads. He also presents food very nicely - and you can have a half portion if you want.

Recommendations: brown bread, tomato tartlet with selection of salads, roulades

If someone could recommend somewhere in Dun Laoghaire, I'm all ears.

Hi Kate P,

It can be a bit tricky to find a decent place to eat in Dun Laoghaire! Real Gourmet Burger is really fantastic but it can be difficult to get a table. There is a great upstairs cafe on the main street (another poster mentioned it) called the world cafe. It's across from Marks and Spencers.

Harrys Cafe (also on the main street) is also fairly decent for lunch. They do great soup and really nice seafood chowder. It's right across from the shopping centre. If you're ever looking to treat yourself, there is an amazing Italian on the seafront called Toscanas.

No matter how desperate you are don't go to Mao! Mad
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 9:43 pm

On a day like today, I would like to be in Baltimore at the harbour, overlooking Sherkin, sitting out in the sun and drinking a pint with a sea food pizza.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 11:47 pm

unaligned wrote:


Hi Kate P,

It can be a bit tricky to find a decent place to eat in Dun Laoghaire! Real Gourmet Burger is really fantastic but it can be difficult to get a table. There is a great upstairs cafe on the main street (another poster mentioned it) called the world cafe. It's across from Marks and Spencers.

Harrys Cafe (also on the main street) is also fairly decent for lunch. They do great soup and really nice seafood chowder. It's right across from the shopping centre. If you're ever looking to treat yourself, there is an amazing Italian on the seafront called Toscanas.

No matter how desperate you are don't go to Mao! Mad

What about itsabagel? They're in Dún Laoghaire.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 11:52 pm

Quote :
What about itsabagel? They're in Dún Laoghaire.

It would be fine if Husband wasn't around. He'd almost rather eat quiche than a bagel. And he never eats quiche. affraid

Toscana's looks very nice - I've passed it a few times but didn't think of it yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Tue May 06, 2008 11:53 pm

Kate P wrote:
Quote :
What about itsabagel? They're in Dún Laoghaire.

It would be fine if Husband wasn't around. He'd almost rather eat quiche than a bagel. And he never eats quiche. affraid

Toscana's looks very nice - I've passed it a few times but didn't think of it yesterday.

What's wrong with bagels? They're very tasty, I love them freshly toasted with butter melting all over them, mmmmm.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Wed May 07, 2008 12:03 am

I used to know a place in East London called "24 hour bagels". You would find a queue there at 4 o'clock in the morning, mainly pregnant women with cravings.

Smoked salmon and cream cheese was the one.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Wed May 07, 2008 12:04 am

Kealys Seafood Bar in Greencastle Co. Donegal is worth the trip. I went for the sea bass last time with their chowder to start. Especially now that the summer has made an early appearance.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Wed May 07, 2008 12:04 am

cactus flower wrote:
I used to know a place in East London called "24 hour bagels". You would find a queue there at 4 o'clock in the morning, mainly pregnant women with cravings.

Smoked salmon and cream cheese was the one.

Triple deckers in the Bagel Bar are quite good as well.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   Wed May 07, 2008 12:20 am

cactus flower wrote:
I used to know a place in East London called "24 hour bagels". You would find a queue there at 4 o'clock in the morning, mainly pregnant women with cravings.

Smoked salmon and cream cheese was the one.

Square Pie Company in Bloomsbury is also good for anyone who might be in that area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Great Places to Eat   

Back to top Go down
 
Great Places to Eat
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Great-Grandmother Dream/repost + dream series
» Sennelager places remembered
» JOHN LIU - "HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD" INSTRUMENTAL
» Foreign investors show great interest in the stock market On: Sat 31/12/2011 6:18
» Chapter 02-Mawaqit: Fixed Times and Places For Ihram

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Welcome and Chat :: Gardening and Cookery-
Jump to: