Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Eurovision Heckle

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:50 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
5 grand ? I'll have a Creme de Menthe head on me Guinness so.

Enjoy!

Here's the moolah...

Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 500_euro_noten

Nothing makes any sense anymore.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:52 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Well, apart from the Soviet Army.

That's true! And wtf are Israel doing in the Eurovision, they're not even Europeans! It galls me that them with their cheesy song are going through, which is the exact same as all the stuff that's gone before while a true original like Dustin is thrown by the wayside.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 4:55 pm

Pat Kenny didn't spare the rod in his analysis - what was most telling was the amount of critical texts he read out.

Johnny Logan also let fly at the organisers on Newstalk.

Seriously though, as far as I can tell Dustin was let enter the Eurostar competition as a way of extorting more money out of younger children. Essentially it was a riproaring success if you were one of the people who made a few bob. For my money, RTE should be heavily criticised for allowing a children's TV character take part in competition based on text-voting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 5:08 pm

I think it's a while since Dustin was purely a children's character. Like Podge, Rodge, Zig and Zag before him he set his sights a little higher. Expect cynical guff from Socky any day now. How much relevence does Chris de Burgh hold for the average kid? I loved 'Patricia the Stripper' as a kid but I didn't know who sang it till recently.

The financial side of the eurovision is a significant factor in continuing with the voting method of selection. It might be as much a factor in out continuing failure than the changing nature of the show.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 10:52 am

I heard the song for the first time yesterday on Pat Kenny's programme and thought it was DIRE. Post-modernist irony is all very well but it was, really, a piss-take, nothing more - it certainly wasn't a good song.

The texts were pretty damning, but there's no surprise in that. Irish people are good at turning viciously on that which they previously supported. The song was selected by a popular vote. If those people who texted in yesterday had felt that strongly about the song in the first place, they would have put their money where their mouth is and supported another song.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:21 am

Poor Johnny Logan was totally upset about the whole thing and seems to have taken it personally and is not even indulging in schadenfreude much just deep deep shame.

That's not a reference to his appearance in McDonalds ads...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Kate P wrote:
I heard the song for the first time yesterday on Pat Kenny's programme and thought it was DIRE. Post-modernist irony is all very well but it was, really, a piss-take, nothing more - it certainly wasn't a good song.

The texts were pretty damning, but there's no surprise in that. Irish people are good at turning viciously on that which they previously supported. The song was selected by a popular vote. If those people who texted in yesterday had felt that strongly about the song in the first place, they would have put their money where their mouth is and supported another song.

Sadly, the little girl who came second to Dustin was a good little singer with a good song.

The only explanation I can think of is that after the financial disaster of all the wins, RTE has done everything they possibly can do to avoid winning again, whilst turning the maximum amount of money over in the "selection process". It has been very unfair on the poor souls sent out there and then abused for their pains afterwards.

What in God's Name was the diabolical mating of John Waters and Dervish meant to achieve ????

The whole debate about theatricality, gimmicks and eastern europeans is self delusion. We have just sent out bad songs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptySun May 25, 2008 12:25 am

Eurovoting has begun - so far, 95% consistency in voting for next door neighbours. It is a very good geography lesson.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptyMon May 26, 2008 12:31 pm

Does anyone want to analyse Ireland's vote in the thing on the night, or am I the only one that watched it? Embarassed

I don't know about the little points but we gave eight to the UK (who did terribly as usual), ten to Poland and twelve to Latvia. Poor Terry was grateful for the bone we threw but baffled by our East European priorities.

I didn't think we had that many Latvians.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptyMon May 26, 2008 12:38 pm

How many people voted ?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptyMon May 26, 2008 12:46 pm

I watched chunks of it and the voting. I liked the BosniaHerzegovina song, it was a bit zany. Razz

The voting patterns were a massive joke. Predictable based solely on border neighbours.

Some data analyst chap (Newstalk last week) has apparently analysed the voting for last few years and concluded that Ireland can never win it again..ever !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptyMon May 26, 2008 12:52 pm

I really don't think Ireland can complain about regional voting, we were doing for years with the UK.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptyMon May 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Eurovision is an annual fixture in our house - food and wine are prepared for an evening of unmissable hilarity. We never listen to RTE, preferring Sir Terry's sarcasm ('It won't be over after this lady sings' about an entrant of considerable proportions.).

The whole thing is camp as a row of tents and there was at least one transvestite singing again this year - and why not! It's almost like a LGBT festival in some ways.

Aside from that, some of the performances are almost getting to pronography at times. A 12 year old autistic person in our company piped up with the observation 'less ass and more song would be better' - having been treated to several graphic displays of scantily clad female bodies, flying about in gravity defying contortions.

I thought the Israeli song was quite good too - written by Dana International - the transvestitie who won it for Israel last time they won. The UK didn't deserve to come last though - it was a better song than many. Thank God we were spared the national embarassment of Dustin, though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 EmptyMon May 26, 2008 4:44 pm

I quite liked the Turkish song. I thought it sounded more like real music than a Eurovision entry.

Having only watched the final, I still haven't heard Dustin's number.

Cookie, did you fall for the advertising during last week and rush out to buy the 'Best of the Eurovision' album?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eurovision Heckle   Eurovision Heckle - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Eurovision Heckle
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2