Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Ireland and corruption - I'd be more optimistic if we weren't so nepotistic

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Ireland and corruption - I'd be more optimistic if we weren't so nepotistic Empty
PostSubject: Ireland and corruption - I'd be more optimistic if we weren't so nepotistic   Ireland and corruption - I'd be more optimistic if we weren't so nepotistic EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 2:32 pm

We could be out of pocket to the tune of 3bn per year because of lack of transparency and "lawful corruption".

Quote :
Corruption costing State €3bn, report claims

Corruption could still be costing the Irish economy as much as €3 billion each year in lost revenue and foreign investment, according to a report published this morning.

Launchings its National Integrity System Study, Transparency International Ireland called for the introduction of “comprehensive legal safeguards for whistleblowers” and said a register of lobbyists was needed to improve transparency between government and business.

Ireland.com

Quote :
A Government-sponsored report by Transparency International has found that personal relationships, patronage and political donations are believed to influence political decisions and policy to a considerable degree in Ireland.

The National Integrity System Country Study, which was carried out over two-and-a-half years, also called for better legal safeguards for whistleblowers.

Other recommendations include the establishment of a new Garda Anti-Corruption Unit and better resources for existing law enforcement agencies tackling fraud and corruption.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0302/corruption.html

Quote :
The recommendations

The study makes over thirty recommendations to tackle a problem that TI claims contributed to the world financial crisis, and could be costing the Irish economy an additional €3 billion each year in lost business revenues and foreign investment.

These include:

1. The introduction of laws, similar to those in the UK, to protect whistleblowers in the public and private sector who report concerns of public importance.
2. The introduction of a Register of Lobbyists that would bring more transparency to the relationship between government, regulators, business and interest groups.
3. The ratification of international conventions against corruption, including the UN Convention described as the “Kyoto Protocol” on global corruption.
4. The establishment of a Garda Anti-Corruption Unit and more resources for law enforcement agencies including the Director of Corporate Enforcement, the Competition Authority, the Criminal Assets Bureau, and the Garda “Fraud Squad”.
5. Reform of Freedom of Information fee system. Irish FOI fees and costs of appeals are the highest in the developed world.
6. The publication of local Councillors’ declarations of interest on the Internet.
7. The scrapping of Government plans to treble the amount of gifts and loans politicians can receive and keep secret.
8. The publication of an annual report by the Comptroller and Auditor General on some of the most costly public contracts each year.
9. The opening of all appointments to the Boards of State bodies to public competition.
10. The publication of clear no-bribe and conflict of interest policies by newspaper organisations and journalist union

http://www.transparency.ie/news_events/nispr09.htm

Ireland and corruption - I'd be more optimistic if we weren't so nepotistic Place_de_la_concorde_4
Back to top Go down

Ireland and corruption - I'd be more optimistic if we weren't so nepotistic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ireland and corruption - I'd be more optimistic if we weren't so nepotistic   Ireland and corruption - I'd be more optimistic if we weren't so nepotistic EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 2:33 pm

Why the photo of Place de la Concorde?
Back to top Go down

Ireland and corruption - I'd be more optimistic if we weren't so nepotistic
Page 1 of 1