Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....

Go down 
AuthorMessage

There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... Empty
PostSubject: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 6:01 pm

So there is. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 6:06 pm

There is. Basketball
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 6:13 pm

Yeh, there is thank god. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 6:33 pm

Is it too early for a lawn feed and weed ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 6:45 pm

A fine stretch indeed. Sure we won't know ourselves in another month.

BTW, when should one prune one's rose bush? No smut please.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 6:46 pm

November I think Zhou. But don't trust me on that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 8:57 pm

The sun goes down later for us over here nearer to America.

Twenty minutes or more I think

nah na na na na
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 9:23 pm

Now until the end of March is the perfect time to trim the rose bush.. Clean secateurs, outward facing buds...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:

nah na na na na
And rises later too...
Here in Cork we are 35 minutes behind GMT...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 9:39 pm

toxic avenger wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

nah na na na na
And rises later too...
Here in Cork we are 35 minutes behind GMT...

although that varies because of the "analemma":

There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... Analemma2003_ayiomamitis

The picture is taken at the same "Clock" time each day, but the sun is either "early" or "late" depending on the time of year.
There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... Anelemma_sun_elevation_time_of_day
There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... Anelemma

Its only mid april, end of august and the solstices that local noon agrees with "Clock" noon (ie sun due exactly south at exactly 12.00 midday).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 9:42 pm

I got a present of a globe atlas last year, it has one of those things on it, it took me ages to figure out precisely what it meant. Although it seems obvious to me now, so maybe I'm just thick...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 9:46 pm

Where do you find these things yehbut_nobut ? Are you big style into astronomy ?

That's a deadly yoke altogether although I'm still getting my head around it. I can understand why it's lengthy but I can't understand why it has width ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 9:47 pm

Actually I think I can - it's the tilt of the earth ...

I think scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 9:56 pm

Yeh bit of an astonomy buff. I think its the tilt, coupled with which "side" of the earths orbit we're looking at the sun from,...

(but i am not 100% certain)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 10:22 pm

I drew a pitcher of how the earth spins around from summer to winter. In our summer the northern hemisphere is tilted towards the sun and the opposite in winter. Because it goes around in an elipse it's nearer at some points than others - happens to be during our summer. The Australians summer is with the earth closer to it.

I'm still trying to picture how that figure of eight comes about from our perspective and I think it's coming to me ...

There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... Temp55
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 2:18 pm

The increase or decrease in daylight per day actually varies during the year and is not constant. The speed of the change in the tilt of the earth varies during the year, it very slow in December and June and seems to be quite fast now. Not sure about the reason but probably something to do with the momentum??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 2:30 pm

The change/difference in the length of day from one day to the next is greatest near the Equinox (spring and autumn) growing to as much as 4 minutes per day and shrinks to practically nothing at the Solstice (literally sun- still ; ie no change).

Its to do with the relative angle that the earths tilt presents to to the sun on it orbits. The poles always point to the same direction in space (practically, there is a small wobble).

At spring and autumn, earths progression along its oribit makes this change significant from one day to the next (imagine half way between the two positions in Audi's diagram above) , while the same progression at the solstices has a negligable effect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 2:52 pm

The rate of increase / decrease changes throughout the year ?? I hadn't realised that at all .. I'm going to try to picture that later in the day now instead of saying "ohm" "ohm" "ohm" while doing the aould Tai Chi.

Is the width of that figure of eight in the sky to do with the Equinoxes ... scratch and why is it tilted at that angle and why is the top half of the eight smaller than the bottom half ... ????

So many questions, so much Tai Chi ..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....   There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now.... Empty

Back to top Go down

There's a Grand Stretch in the Mornings/Evenings now....
Page 1 of 1