Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The weather thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

The weather thread - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 11:37 am

floatingingalway wrote:
I've got my hang sangwiches packed and just about to head off to the hills and plains of Connemara for the day to catch some rays. cheers cheers cheers

That's the spirit. Bring a few bottles to get some fresh water from a spring up there to avoid the lead back home in the city. Be careful there's no dead sheep upstream though.
cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 11:43 am

Lough Nafooey here I come
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 9:35 pm

Anyone else noticing the leaves begin to turn, ever so slightly?

I was in the gorgeous Tullynally Castle grounds over the weekend - home of the tree fiend Thomas Packenham and while most trees are still resolutely green, there has begun a trend to yellows and golds. Some of the oldest trees in Ireland and Europe are there I think - worth a visit any time of the year, but like most of these grand places, especially meriting a visit once in the heart of each season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 9:39 pm

Trees on the road have gone a tinge of red almost overnight. The trees in the garden are evergreen so they'll look the same yesterday, today and forever!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 9:49 pm

The trees are coming into leaf
Like something almost being said;
The recent buds relax and spread,
Their greenness is a kind of grief.

Is it that they are born again
And we grow old? No, they die too.
Their yearly trick of looking new
Is written down in rings of grain.

Yet still the unresting castles thresh
In fullgrown thickness every May.
Last year is dead, they seem to say.
Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

The Trees by Philip Larkin.
I know it's the wrong season but maybe it will console us somewhat in evergreen land....

Maples and sycamores in my mother's garden have been turning for a while now - stunning reds and yellows.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:43 pm

Kate P wrote:
Anyone else noticing the leaves begin to turn, ever so slightly?

I was in the gorgeous Tullynally Castle grounds over the weekend - home of the tree fiend Thomas Packenham and while most trees are still resolutely green, there has begun a trend to yellows and golds. Some of the oldest trees in Ireland and Europe are there I think - worth a visit any time of the year, but like most of these grand places, especially meriting a visit once in the heart of each season.

I was on the upper level of a bus coming out of Town and at the level of tree leaves and yes, some certainly had flecks of gold and amber through the still-dominant verdancy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:43 pm

johnfás wrote:
Trees on the road have gone a tinge of red almost overnight. The trees in the garden are evergreen so they'll look the same yesterday, today and forever!

Until you bleach them for the fun of it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:54 pm

Kate P wrote:
The trees are coming into leaf
Like something almost being said;
The recent buds relax and spread,
Their greenness is a kind of grief.

Is it that they are born again
And we grow old? No, they die too.
Their yearly trick of looking new
Is written down in rings of grain.

Yet still the unresting castles thresh
In fullgrown thickness every May.
Last year is dead, they seem to say.
Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

The Trees by Philip Larkin.
I know it's the wrong season but maybe it will console us somewhat in evergreen land....

Maples and sycamores in my mother's garden have been turning for a while now - stunning reds and yellows.

Great stuff in that poem. All still green here in Clare for now or I just haven't noticed the colour changing. Bit of Indian Summer and still a good few tourists around enjoying the weather.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 12:05 pm

I think I was one of the luckiest tourists in Dublin this summer. I got a whole weekend of "no rain". From Friday to Monday. I had a great weekend.

Friday: Had a fascinating conversation in my local with the young Chinese lounge boy. He was well informed on the Shanghai property boom and if 6 years in Ireland has taught him anything, it was the need for proper infrastructure planning.

Saturday: Morning....shopping, shopping shopping. Shirts, ties, overcoat, belts, cufflinks, shoes. Every receipt accompanied with taxback receipt.

Evening. Dinner with girlfriend in Chapter One. Hype well deserved. Food excellent, Service excellent, Ambience excellent. She was impressed.

Sunday. Nice drive out by Donabate & Portrane early in the morning followed by lunch with the sister and mother. Evening brought a session in the Diggers, the only pub on the planet apart from Mulligans where I drink Guinness.

Monday. Dublin Airport. Head straight for the tax back facility. €122.35! Nice. "Credit or Cash?" Cash is king in this economy now and it finances all my duty free purchases.

Best weekend in a long time in Dublin. And the city is looking better than it has for some time (excluding, of course, Dublin Airport, which remains a national embarrassment.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 9:59 pm

Glad to hear that Chapter One was good for you. I was thinking of you lately and wondering whether you had been in Dublin yet or not. Sounds like you had fun...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 10:32 pm

I love chapter one, it's a real gem.

I am SO cold today.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 8:36 am

Kate P wrote:
Glad to hear that Chapter One was good for you. I was thinking of you lately and wondering whether you had been in Dublin yet or not. Sounds like you had fun...

It was excellent Kate. The girlfriend was mightily impressed. Her happiness is my main concern in life and she was happy all weekend. The weather was benign. If only the airport was not such a source of immense irritation.

The city was looking better than I can ever remember it. Maybe it was the weather. Maybe it was just me. But I was pleasantly surprised and i hope this improvement can continue. Looking forward to Christmas already.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 8:38 am

cookiemonster wrote:
I love chapter one, it's a real gem.

I am SO cold today.

It is indeed a gem, cookie.

(Alarmed to see you are sliding further to the right, if the avatar is a genuine reflection of political philosophy and not just a wind-up.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:37 am

Wednesday 01 October 2008

The weather thread - Page 30 Nat-today Today's Weather
Today will be bright and breezy, with sunny spells and scattered blustery showers. Some of showers will be heavy and possibly prolonged - especially across the north and west. Cold and windy, with highest temperatures 11 to 14 degrees, in a strong and gusty northwest wind.

DOES THIS EVER CHANGE?? Are we destined forever to have "Sunny spells and scattered showers"?

Mary Coughlan (not the Tanaiste, the talented one) even sang about this generic forecast in "My Land is too Green"

"Sunny spells and scattered showers
and still it rains for hours and hours".

Amazing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 10:34 am

The record went up to 770 MW on the 10 September and it's heading that way today too. All we need is a bit of sun now too.

The weather thread - Page 30 Wind17
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 11:46 am

I've started packing away the lighter clothes this morning as I do the laundry - following a week of being downright cold no matter where I went. And deliberately put a chicken on to roast this morning too so the smell would help me acclimatise to winter in a homely way. And it has Smile Hot milk on the weetabix this morning too. I hate weetabix - I should have waited for the chicken and had it for breakfast instead...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 11:56 am

Kate P wrote:
I've started packing away the lighter clothes this morning as I do the laundry - following a week of being downright cold no matter where I went. And deliberately put a chicken on to roast this morning too so the smell would help me acclimatise to winter in a homely way. And it has Smile Hot milk on the weetabix this morning too. I hate weetabix - I should have waited for the chicken and had it for breakfast instead...
Chicken for breakfast? Almost as good as microwaved pizza Wink

Anytime I've ever eaten Weetabix I imagine it's what eating a bale of hay would be like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 12:16 pm

I love breakfast, though I don't always make time for it.

Home -made granola with Glenisk yoghurt, scrambled eggs and home made brown scones (says she, turning on the chicken-warmed oven again).... I must go and see is the Doolin breakfast bar open...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 12:56 pm

Kate P wrote:
I love breakfast, though I don't always make time for it.

Home -made granola with Glenisk yoghurt, scrambled eggs and home made brown scones (says she, turning on the chicken-warmed oven again).... I must go and see is the Doolin breakfast bar open...

This almost sounds appetising, Kate. Smile When the girlfriend comes here, I always make her the breakfast she likes most of all (I kinda like it myself) Eggs smoked salmon Benedict with Bucks Fizz accompanied by a couple of Latte Macchiatos and concluded with a double espresso. And to have this on the roof terrace in summer looking at the mountainous expanse of the Uetliberg in bright sunshine is bliss. Not one for every day. But she is worth it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 12:58 pm

And I married a man who can open cereal boxes. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Kate P wrote:
And I married a man who can open cereal boxes. Crying or Very sad

He doubtless has many talents and attributes that others do not possess. Very Happy For example, I am utterly useless at DIY, loathe IT with a renowned passion and allow the infrastructural disaster that is Dublin Airport depress me at least 20 minutes before I land in it and for 3 hours after I leave the bloody place. These are things I know my girlfriend does not particularly like but thankfully she never comments on them.

And the weather here today? Sunny and getting cold (10 degrees) with snow in the mountains (where it belongs).
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 6:15 pm

Greetings from Deutschland.

Lovely and warm here. Sunny this afternoon. A bit cloudy now.

Going for some Badische Beer. cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 6:37 pm

horizontal rain, grey/black clouds, premature dusk, everything looks dank and miserable here in D4.

i blame the recession. in the heydays of the celtictiger i remember it was permanently sunny. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 6:47 pm

zakalwe wrote:
horizontal rain, grey/black clouds, premature dusk, everything looks dank and miserable here in D4.

i blame the recession. in the heydays of the celtictiger i remember it was permanently sunny. Sad

Dont tell me that - I'll be heading that direction in about 30 minutes ,well D6 actually - I was looking forward to some relief from the cloudy windswept rainy plateau that is Sandyford.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 7:17 pm

Gota Fria alert for this evening - that means big catastrophic rainfall in spanish. Sometimes it only takes half an hour of rain for a flash flood.

Today it was cool enough (22 degrees) to go for a post lunch stroll. I had a walk past the half completed tower blocks of appartments which blight the Mediterannean coast, but its all quiet. The immigrant south american or african workers and the mainly spanish-born foremen still havent returned since the summer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 30 Empty

Back to top Go down

The weather thread
Page 30 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next