Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Of course you missed me!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Of course you missed me! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 11:17 pm

I would hate a career in property law. That said, property law is strangely interesting for anyone who has a background in history, at least the Law Society syllabus is anyway. So much of our land law remains relics of the system of feudal tenure and there are many types of land holding which are referred to in books such as Pride and Prejudice.

That said, there is a law reform bill about to go through the Oireachtas which will rid the system of all those old relics - most of which are redundant and you would never use in practice. However, there are interesting enough to study. To practice, no.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 11:26 pm

I've just been looking at the rules for the FE-1s. When they say a candidate sitting the exam for the first time must sit at least four subjects - does that mean all in one sitting or can they be split over the year into two sittings?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 11:28 pm

You have to sit at least four in one go and you must pass at least three of them or you have to repeat them all. I sat five because I thought I had a better chance of passing three doing that than sitting four. If, for instance, I managed to pass two when my results come out it is essentially back to square one as I will have to sit them again. Once you have passed those three you can do them one at a time if you want. It is a strange system to be quite honest. Then again most things involving the Society seem to be.

Are you thinking of a move into law, Kate?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 11:37 pm

It does seem strange but I suppose it's a system that keeps out the chancers who might be tempted to do one per year and bring the society into disrepute.

A move into law would be an enormous move but a deeper knowledge of the law - tort, criminal, constitutional and EU would be of use to me with the work I do. It would be possible to do some of the courses that prepare people for the FE-1s in those subjects, just for the sake of gathering the knowledge and being surrounded by people who know what they're talking about...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 11:42 pm

I did the Tort and the EU course for the FE-1s in Independent Colleges over the summer - they were very good. Give me a PM if you want to know anymore details about them. If I pass them I'll even give you my manuals!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 12:01 am

Thanks for that, johnfás - though I think one career change every couple of years is enough for now.

I'm sure you will pass them (so that it will have been worth missing you at the speedposting night!) - you worked incredibly hard. When will you know?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 12:15 am

The Law Society give absolutely no timescale as to when you get your results, but going by what people on Boards.ie say it should be the first week of December.

My latest thing is getting these damn application forms into the big firms - they're almost more difficult than the exams! Got two in today and I have two more due tomorrow, anyone want to tell me why I want to be a solicitor in less than 200 words? I feel like I am in 2nd year again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 12:41 am

Well, you can't mention truth, justice and the Irish way.

Hmmm. What about some Shakespeare? Have you read the Merchant of Venice?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 5:31 pm

Kate P wrote:
Good stuff. Though I don't know why anyone would be interested in contract or property law as careers when criminal is so much more interesting because, I think, people and their motivations and emotions are at the centre of it.
But that, I think, is what turns so many people off the subject. It's hard not to get emotional about the work you do when you're in criminal law, and that makes it harder to do your job. It's the same with family law; a friend of mine was set on becoming a family law barrister when he came into the course, but after looking into it he soon realized he simply wouldn't be up for the kind of emotional investment it requires.

In any case, there's generally more money in the more commercial-based areas of law (unless of course you get to be areally good criminal/constitutional barrister).

Johnfás, I notice you seem to be taking most of the private law topics together, and are taking the public law together in a separate sitting. Do they make you do it this way, or did you choose to do it yourself to make it easier for yourself? I know there is a lot of overlap between several of the private topics.

Quote :
I would hate a career in property law. That said, property law is strangely interesting for anyone who has a background in history, at least the Law Society syllabus is anyway. So much of our land law remains relics of the system of feudal tenure and there are many types of land holding which are referred to in books such as Pride and Prejudice.
Don't I know it - I've just been studying feudal tenure and it is absolutely fascinating. At this early stage I still can't imagine what it would be like to practice land law (so much of the course is history) but even the more modern stuff seems like just the kind of dull boring thing I'd be into Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 11:30 pm

Hello again everyone, I've been away from an internet connection for the past few days so I haven't been able to check in on yis. It seems like there's been a good few conversations had by all in the past while. I might pop by an Sibín and see if an Kití needs a refill.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 21, 2008 12:46 am

Welcome back, AT. We missed your dark brooding presence and heavy breathing here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 21, 2008 12:48 am

Kate P wrote:
Welcome back, AT. We missed your dark brooding presence and heavy breathing here.

You're very kind Kate P, do you fancy a dram in an Sibín Reoite?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: i am back   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 9:33 pm

yes , it is me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 9:37 pm

Welcome, Zanu-ff. Why don't you come and join us in the Sibin ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 9:43 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Welcome, Zanu-ff. Why don't you come and join us in the Sibin ?

Indeed. What's your poison, Zanu?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 1:21 am

Hello fellow machinators. I've been off for a while as real life has been intruding on me a bit more than I'd like. It's not all doom and gloom though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 1:23 am

Ronald Binge wrote:
Hello fellow machinators. I've been off for a while as real life has been intruding on me a bit more than I'd like. It's not all doom and gloom though.

Real life ... real life ...

real l-

I can't find a wiki entry for it

Welcome back to digital life though
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 1:24 am

Welcome Ronald Binge. I missed your posts. What do you make of these wild and turbulent times?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 1:35 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Ronald Binge wrote:

Real life ... real life ...

real l-

I can't find a wiki entry for it

Welcome back to digital life though

Have you forgotten the password for your real life again Audi ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 1:42 am

cactus flower wrote:
Welcome Ronald Binge. I missed your posts. What do you make of these wild and turbulent times?

I fully expect to be unemployed come the end of February. I'm damn glad that I'm not deeper in debt than I am already. Really crap times ahead and we in Ireland are almost as exposed as the Icelanders. Those who are not in the private sector or who didn't live as an adult through the eighties here have absolutely no idea just how bad things are going to be.

I have aged parents who depend on me being in the same country as them, otherwise I'd have been off to Canada by now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 1:43 am

PS RTE Gold is playing Gimme Shelter by the Stones right now. Music for these burning times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 1:50 am

Ronald Binge wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

I fully expect to be unemployed come the end of February. I'm damn glad that I'm not deeper in debt than I am already. Really crap times ahead and we in Ireland are almost as exposed as the Icelanders. Those who are not in the private sector or who didn't live as an adult through the eighties here have absolutely no idea just how bad things are going to be.

I have aged parents who depend on me being in the same country as them, otherwise I'd have been off to Canada by now.

Sorry to hear that Ronald Binge. You parents are lucky to have you though.
A good few people here are affected already. I'm certainly wondering will there be any work for me next year, although I'm still busy at the moment it all feels like things that won't happen next year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 2:11 am

Ronald Binge wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Thats rough RB - Have already raced you to the Welfare! - was laid off last month - Yep its tough out there alright and the scary thing is - you aint seen nothin yet.

Kind of in the same boat as yourself - was thinking about leggin it next year - but Im still owed a couple of months salary, my redundancy etc etc - chairman of the company is playing serious hardball on this - it will be months before all this gets resolved - have been signing on for a month now and still no sign of any JSB - God helps yis in the new year - Im expecting the world of retail to collapse after christmas - the dept of social welfare will be overrun.

Still Im debt free with a little in the credit side of the ledger - got out of Dublin and back with the Folks down the country for the first time in 17 years - its been interesting - have commandeered one of the garden sheds to make an office/hideway for myself where Im typing this post - hopefully it wont be for long - but Im conscious of the fact that my folks are gettin on and both my brothers left for Canada and the US in the last 2-3 years - Still its going to be bloody tough here for the next 3-4 years - the jobs market is evaporating in front of my eyes - there are layoffs everywhere and on daily email alert from IrishJobs.ie - all that is coming up are jobs in the middle and far east - hmmm

Still Im getting a lot of fresh air walking the dog, I have noticed the turn of the seasons for the first time in ages - photographing the squirrels,badgers and all the birds that come traipsing thru our back garden at all times, doing odd jobs for family friends and neighbours and having the odd pint with the sheep farmers in the country pub down the road - I think its called "getting away from it all!

Dont be too despondent - you still have a job for the mo anyway - and it wont be the end of the world either if it does go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 2:48 am

It is the end of the world. At least the end of the world that some people lived in.

What else did anyone expect from globalisation except a global wage. Work for a dollar a day and you will have work.

What happens when there is no dole. The welfare state is finished but nobody wants to admit that either
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 2:55 am

Respvblica wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Ah. I can see that now.

The Style Council years were good enough - Ever had it blue? Shout to the top! He's one of those few guys who get better and better with age.

I love the old Jam stuff the best- - Modern World, News of the World. I even thought higher of David Cameron chose Eton Rifles as his favourite tune.
" sup up your beer and collect your fags theres a row going on down near slough..."
Great stuff

Well old Etonians and lots of their dads were in the Eton Rifles. A great riff and chorus but never quite worked out it's politics or Wellers for that matter. I also wondered if the The Jam were tories?

Land law of the 19th century is one of my interests. Davitt came acropper by adopting Henry George's land ideas (see Progress and Prosperity) which were to apply only one tax in the state which would be on land and based on it's usage. George like Davitt also worked for a printers in his youth.
When the various land acts essentially wiped out the landlordsgiving farmers ownership, the labourers and the town tenants recieved nothing. It was a very political settlement that very much shaped modern Ireland.

Can we imagine a Tenant League in Dublin to force landlords to reduce the ridiculas and usery rents that are charged for poorly built for apartments. It would be an interesting campaign group to form.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Of course you missed me!   Of course you missed me! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Of course you missed me!
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next