Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

For Art's Sake!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2008 5:13 pm

Cactus, if you are interested, the book which was on the tip of my tongue in reference to our blank posts above (all very informative!) was I Call to the Eye of the Mind - A memoir by Sarah Hyland who was an employee of the Yeats sisters. It gives a good insight into life in Dublin, for the Anglo-Irish in light of the political upheaval, in the early twentieth century.

I have a feeling it may be out of print but you can probably pick it up quite cheaply online or for borrowing at your local library.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2008 5:25 pm

Thankyou johfás - one of those sources said there was some embroidery by the Yeats sisters at the altar.

What a tragedy that our inspired posting on the heritage of Dundrum has been lost to humanity forever Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Indeed there are 4 embroideries by the Yeats sisters directly behind the communion table and they are buried in the graveyard. They were parishoners and their Cuala Press, which published many of the works in the Anglo Irish Literary revival was just up the road. There was a great little possy of friends up there in the Dundrum area - Evie Hone, the Yeats Sisters, Mainie Jellett etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 9:24 pm

johnfás wrote:
Indeed there are 4 embroideries by the Yeats sisters directly behind the communion table and they are buried in the graveyard. They were parishoners and their Cuala Press, which published many of the works in the Anglo Irish Literary revival was just up the road. There was a great little possy of friends up there in the Dundrum area - Evie Hone, the Yeats Sisters, Mainie Jellett etc.

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 Jellett

Maine Jellett's Achill horses, from the 1930s.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 9:41 pm

Jellett, was in my opinion a technically better painter than Hone, who was of course a close companion to her. She has been perhaps overshadowed by Hone publicly owing to Hone's stained glass which although not her primary interest is displayed in many prominent places. Jellett's skill is perhaps more represented at auction than it is by public praise.

Both of them trained under L'hote and Gleizes in Paris who were masters in their particular field - abstract and cubism. You'll see their works in the Tate and such places.

Here is a fantastic Jellett, if you had 36,000 when it came up at auction a while ago!
For Art's Sake! - Page 3 068
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 10:09 pm

Rowan Gillespie anyone?

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 7292315_7f8404cdeb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 10:13 pm

johnfás wrote:
Rowan Gillespie anyone?

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 7292315_7f8404cdeb

Is that from the side of The Tresurary building?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 10:15 pm

'tis indeed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: The "I could do that!" experience   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 10:18 pm

What about Sean Scully? I think he's the heir to Jackson Pollock -

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 M905~Union-Yellow-Posters

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 M867~Saba-Posters

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 M868~Monsterrat-Posters
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 10:21 pm

I know an influential art critic who is huge into Scully - he thinks he is a genius. I like his stuff but I would be more fond of Ben Nicholson.

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 15047w_june1937
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:29 am

I like Skully, he's also the next big thing or the current big thing, it's hard to tell with art.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:42 am

This guy has something as well - John Nolan

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 Sunlovers%20%2030x40 For Art's Sake! - Page 3 Warm%20still%20life%20at%20window%2030x40

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 Still%20life%20at%20window%2016x16 For Art's Sake! - Page 3 Homage%20to%20Van%20Gogh%2024x24

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 Still%20life%20with%20guitar%2024x24 For Art's Sake! - Page 3 Still%20life%20on%20table%2016x16
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:04 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
I like Skully, he's also the next big thing or the current big thing, it's hard to tell with art.

I think he is both. He has achieved international acclaim which will help him in the market, if we are talking on purely financial terms. It can be hard for Irish artists to achieve international recognition but achieving it means that the prices you achieve are not limited to how the Irish market is doing. You end up achieving in different markets, whether it is Irish Art, Modern European Art, often Modern British Art, Abstract Art etc. This is something which is often not achieved by Irish artists who are reliant on the Irish buyers alone. International recognition is the important line which keeps artists like William Scott at such remarkable prices.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 11:38 pm

Mixed bag of results at the two main Dublin auction houses (Adams and Whytes) last week. It must be borne in mind that the main sale at Adams will not be until December. An awful lot of no sales particularly at the lower end of the market. Some decent prices remain at the top end of the market - Paul Henry is still attracting a decent price for a landscape at €90,000.

Upshot of the situation is the general investor is probably struggling and pulling back from the market. If you have decent stuff you will always be able to shift it to those entering for a trophy painting.
For Art's Sake! - Page 3 11010
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 12:31 am

There was a gorgeous Paul Henry exhibition at the National Gallery a couple of years ago.

This is a lovely thread.

I saw some beautiful stained glass in Zuerich a few years ago by Marc Chagall

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 767637

Amazing stuff.

This, however, is one of my favourite works of art - it's at the Uffizi in Florence by Caravaggio, The Sacrifice of Isaac.

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 Caravaggio
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 2:20 am

Well I hadn't known that Marc Chagall did stained glass!! Beautiful, as are so many pieces on this thread.

Please please someone upload some Rothko even it loses in translation, so to speak - don't know why but can't seem to upload any images at all at the moment. Have been trying to upload some images to a diff. thread but it won't work.

Londoners can't avoid Rothko at the moment as there is a big exhibition on at the moment in the Tate Modern and there are Rothko posters in all major Tube stations - I will get along there to see it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 2:44 am

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 346px_mark_rothko_red_orange_tan_purple_Buy_sell_original_fine_art_online_gallery_capucines_boulevard_cappy_price_robert_romero
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 2:48 am

I was taken to see the Rothkos in the old Tate when I was a small child - a series of huge dark brown red paintings- all in one rather dark room so far as I can recall, and I remember being rooted to the ground with my heart pounding. His stuff is very close to music in effect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 2:52 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 2:58 am

Atticus wrote:
Well I hadn't known that Marc Chagall did stained glass!! Beautiful, as are so many pieces on this thread.

Please please someone upload some Rothko even it loses in translation, so to speak - don't know why but can't seem to upload any images at all at the moment. Have been trying to upload some images to a diff. thread but it won't work.

Londoners can't avoid Rothko at the moment as there is a big exhibition on at the moment in the Tate Modern and there are Rothko posters in all major Tube stations - I will get along there to see it.

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 Rothko_painting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 3:14 am

Thanks Cactus and Cookie for the speedy response! Wonderful. I look forward very much to this exhibition.

I have spent many's a 10min. waiting slot in the last fortnight just standing on the Tube platform gazing and gazing at the Rothko posters. It's amazing how lost one can become in them. So so beautiful.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 10:12 pm

How about Bear with Cigar

It was in the latest Whyte's auction but failed to sell. Guide of 3,000 - 4,000. It is items like this which appear not to be selling at the moment. You would buy this because you like it, not because of investment value.

I think it is genius. Not quite as cool as our ceramic hammerhead goat mind you. Will photograph it sometime.

For Art's Sake! - Page 3 203
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 11:15 pm

That's a neat little Bear with a neat little cigar alright johnfás but 3-4k ? Couldn't I interest you in an enormous 46" plasma TV of the new type? Or a good diesel-engined car second-hand?

Just kidding. Maybe we should have an art gallery thread Wink . I've been to the Killarney Art Gallery and McBride Art Gallery in Killarney and the lady in the McBride is lovely. Other art gallery ladies aren't so lovely and in fact they're all lovely now that no one is selling five and six paintings for the new houses because there aren't many new houses or art mortgages now anymore. Hopefully the galleries will survive though - I think they're good for a browse from time to time and I've seen some beautiful work in Killarney Art Gallery but some dodgy stuff too.

Here's a picture by the most recent artist in the Killarney Art Gallery
For Art's Sake! - Page 3 POR-3359-PoppiesC(2)
http://www.irishartcollector.com/index.asp

And here is one from Regine Bartsch that I saw in the McBride Art Gallery. She does amazing, giant watercolours of vases of flowers. The photo doesn't do them enough justice.
For Art's Sake! - Page 3 Twodol10
http://www.regine-bartsch.com/index.htm

The McBride
http://www.mcbrideartgallery.com/index.php
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 11:22 pm

Sketching yourself at all Auditor #9?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 11:27 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Sketching yourself at all Auditor #9?
I have plenty plans and intentions but .. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

For Art's Sake!
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next