Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

For Art's Sake!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 11:29 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Sketching yourself at all Auditor #9?
I have plenty plans and intentions but .. Embarassed

TGFC has a couple of nifty art packages on his site - Picassoish and DIY Manga - did you see?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 11:34 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Sketching yourself at all Auditor #9?
I have plenty plans and intentions but .. Embarassed

TGFC has a couple of nifty art packages on his site - Picassoish and DIY Manga - did you see?
Yes it's very neat and nifty indeed. He's been industrious and productive .. !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 12:05 am

There are some great regional galleries both private, as in dealerships, as well as public which have developed around the country over the last decade. One such example is the Highlanes Gallery in Drogheda. It houses a very good permanent collection as well as many interesting temporary exhibits throughout the year. Would recommend that anyone visit.

I don't have €4,000 to buy it Auditor! Clearly the people there on the night didn't think that it was worth it either. I do think that it is a great piece of art though. I would love a piece of sculpture by Rowan Gillespie - like the famine sculptures. So if I had that much money I would probably be more looking for a little piece by him!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 12:18 am

Here is the goat:

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Cimg0013
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 12:43 am

That's deadly - did you make that johnfás? Sorry if you already said if someone else did. Looks really weird. Is that glass or clay and lead between the pieces? I like it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 12:55 am

No I didn't make it - it was a gift of sorts to us. It is by an artist from the North named John Kindness. I think it is mainly cement between the pieces.

There are various other pieces by him to view on his website.
www.johnkindness.co.uk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 6:35 pm

A doggy of the same:

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Cimg0014
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Amazing dog.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Just back from the Art Ireland fair at the RDS. Great to see the vitality which remains within the art world, particularly within the newcomers to the market. It is a pity that the economic situation is likely to stifle them over the coming years. Very few sales from what I heard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 9:45 pm

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Pieta4

My favourite sculpture, just on the right inside the main doors of St. Peter's. Michelangelo was 24 when he did this. Scary. Don't concentrate on the scale of Christ to Mary too much though...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 11:45 pm

Always a big fan of Dada too, since discovering Jarry's Pere Ubu at 16. John Heartfield a particular favourite, tying in with my obsession with the Third Reich and the War (still can't get my head around a whole civilisation going completely apesh1t)...

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Salute_oz

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Whoever_reads_zm

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 M197600760029

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 M197600760025
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 12:20 am

Would you argue, Toxic, that those latter images would fit better under a thread title 'For Politics' Sake?'

I like the second one particularly. I can't read the script in white though and can't find an image that I can enlarge to read it properly.

His work is anachronistically modern - it's strange that there seems to be no one of his quality producing that kind of satire today - at least as far as I'm aware. It makes Martyn Turner's work seem almost antediluvian by contrast. It's also startlingly aggressive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 12:41 am

I feel conned. I tuned into the Antiques Roadshow this evening in anticipation of the first 1 million pound valuation in the show's history. I was hoping it would be some excellent find from somebody's dusty attic. Instead it was a contemporary piece, a maquette of the Angel of the North and the lad who brought it knew full well what it was worth. What a con.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 12:45 am

johnfás wrote:
I feel conned. I tuned into the Antiques Roadshow this evening in anticipation of the first 1 million pound valuation in the show's history. I was hoping it would be some excellent find from somebody's dusty attic. Instead it was a contemporary piece, a maquette of the Angel of the North and the lad who brought it knew full well what it was worth. What a con.

The AR has lost a lot of its original charm, which as you said was about a dear old lady discovering that Aunty Aggie's monstrosity was a T'ang horse.
Last time I watched it there were a lot of sharp-eyed buyers looking for a free valuation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 12:51 am

johnfás wrote:

Poor Johnfás. Had the buyer at least bought it at good value?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 12:59 am

He didn't say what he paid for it but he sat on the council that approved the planning permission for the Angel of the North so perhaps it was a present from the artist. It is a fantastic sculpture though, if anyone is ever up near Newcastle it is well worth a look.

Just a pity about the thing they want to stick into the Liffey by the same artist. Does nothing for me anyway.

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Angel110

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Gormley_docklands_c
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 1:07 am

Kate P wrote:
Would you argue, Toxic, that those latter images would fit better under a thread title 'For Politics' Sake?'

I like the second one particularly. I can't read the script in white though and can't find an image that I can enlarge to read it properly.

His work is anachronistically modern - it's strange that there seems to be no one of his quality producing that kind of satire today - at least as far as I'm aware. It makes Martyn Turner's work seem almost antediluvian by contrast. It's also startlingly aggressive.

I think it's pure art, though of a political bent. I was struck by Dada and its adherents' subsequent manifestations very young, mostly because it seemed so modern (like people who had been teleported back in time to be trapped in the wrong era)...

The text below translates as “Whoever reads bourgeois newspapers becomes blind and deaf. Away with these stultifying bandages.” The translation of the small text on the right hand side is partially the following: “I AM A CABBAGE HEAD. DO YOU KNOW MY LEAVES? FROM WORRIES I AM AT MY WIT’S END, BUT I KEEP QUIET AND HOPE FOR A SAVIOUR… I DON’T WANT TO SEE AND HEAR ANYTHING, OR TO INTERFERE WITH PUBLIC AFFAIRS…”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 1:25 am

Vorwarts was the Social Democrats paper, wasn't it. When push came to shove, they sent the troops in against the workers.

I've a folder of old reproductions of Heartfield's work somewhere. Well worth digging out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 1:28 am

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 12516w_younourishwithhate_eclipsesun

Georg Grosz is pretty strong too in a different way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 1:37 am

Pure art? There's a debate in itself!! And I wonder whether that's in the spirit of dadaism anyway which would seem to me to have been essentially political rather than artistic in its aims. In Herzfeld's work, I see there's a political propaganda at work that is at least as significant as the artistic impulse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 1:39 am

Kate P wrote:
Pure art? There's a debate in itself!! And I wonder whether that's in the spirit of dadaism anyway which would seem to me to have been essentially political rather than artistic in its aims. In Herzfeld's work, I see there's a political propaganda at work that is at least as significant as the artistic impulse.

Sorry, probably badly phrased. What I meant was that the political element doesn't detract from its being a piece of art, i.e. its not a zero-sum thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 2:24 am

toxic avenger wrote:
Kate P wrote:

Sorry, probably badly phrased. What I meant was that the political element doesn't detract from its being a piece of art, i.e. its not a zero-sum thing.

I understood that to be what you meant, but I wonder if you could apply the same logic to these? Are these primarily art or politics and who decides? Is it the creator or the observer?

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Pp_uk_07

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Uncle-sam-sm

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Propaganda_poster
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 2:40 am

Kate P wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
Kate P wrote:

I understood that to be what you meant, but I wonder if you could apply the same logic to these? Are these primarily art or politics and who decides? Is it the creator or the observer?

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Pp_uk_07

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Uncle-sam-sm

For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Propaganda_poster

As with art generally, I suppose it's a subjective thing, braver people than me have failed to adequately win that argument. Personally I would argue that Heartfield is different from the above examples, the integrity of the medium remaining paramount, as opposed to a visual representation of secondary importance to the message (perhaps it's a quality control thing). Several holes could be punched in my argument, I'm aware, but, as I said, it's a subjective thing...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 2:53 am

Drat - I was hoping you'd argue it for argument's sake; even if braver people than you have failed to win the argument about what constitutes art, it's still one worth having. To be honest, I agree that with Heartfield the message is just about secondary to the medium - for me it's in the level of detail that gives that integrity to the style. It goes beyond mere communication.

Sadly, I had been kind of hoping you could be prodded into defending your view...

*not that that should stop you now, by the way, should you wish to defend it!*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 2:58 am

Kate P wrote:
Drat - I was hoping you'd argue it for argument's sake; even if braver people than you have failed to win the argument about what constitutes art, it's still one worth having. To be honest, I agree that with Heartfield the message is just about secondary to the medium - for me it's in the level of detail that gives that integrity to the style. It goes beyond mere communication.

Sadly, I had been kind of hoping you could be prodded into defending your view...

*not that that should stop you now, by the way, should you wish to defend it!*

My suicidal stubbornness in the face of contrary overwhelming logic unfortunately dissipated by my mid-to-late 20s, after several unfortunate forays into engaging my mouth before my mind (inadequate as it is). I prefer now to stand on the hill above the opposing troops, entering only when one set is surrounded completely...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Art's Sake!   For Art's Sake! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

For Art's Sake!
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next