Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

1000 Sandwiches

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 8:23 pm

floatingingalway wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
#13 Cucumber Sandwiches

Cucumber sandwiches, thinly sliced white bread with real butter, lightly salted cucumber, with the crusts cut off the bread.

Shudders. Cucumber...a vile little vegetable. No offence intended but did you know that some people have a gene that enables them to smell and taste a horrible chemical in cucumbers and, to a lesser extent, in melons. I, unfortunately, am one of those. The smell is so strong for me I can tell if cucumber has touched something I've eaten. My mother, my brother and my daughter all have the same problem (not that we really see it as a problem).
Any other cucumber haters out there? Crying or Very sad

I'm sorry for your trouble, but my family has a gene that likes them (melons too).

For anyone dubious about cucumbers, a three hour marinade in balsamic vinegar (for the cucumbers, not you), will put you right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Or very finely sliced, with a little single cream and lots of fresh dill makes a great European-style (eat in a small bowl just after your main course) salad. Cucumbers love dill.

#14 Smoked Salmon and Cucumber
Spread two slices of granary bread with cold creme fraiche (no butter), sprinkle with dill. Add shredded smoked salmon, very finely sliced cucmber and some capers. If you're adding a squeeze of lemon juice, best to do that to the salmon just before you start making up the sandwich. Loads of flavours and textures.
Back to top Go down
Darina

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 10:03 pm

Now ! Uncle Tony above is being very very mischievous indeed when he of all people knows only too well that my own pickle is the best in the land - why else would he buy crateloads of my stuff down in Castlemartyr on his way to West Cork in his little heli? He wouldn't touch his own stuff with the mast of his yacht which is long and thick I can tell you all *chuckle*. I don't go anywhere myself without a few jars in my handbag as you'd never know when you're out and about having a sandwich with relish only fit for mere mortals and you need to sneak a few spoonfuls of your own stuff in.

It's full of vitamins and pure organic vegetables straight from my own garden and no, the rumours aren't true that my cats shit on them, anyway that would be a form of fertilizer wouldn't it? *chuckle*

Really, I wouldn't go anywhere without it, neither McDonalds or Mass in Midleton, why I even bring a few jars to the pub to put on my taytos !

BallymyLoo Relish :
1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 Darina10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 10:14 pm

AfricanDave wrote:
#6 - AfricanDave Special
Ingredients - 3 slices of white bread, butter, Kilmeaden Mature Cheddar, Mayo, Sweetcorn, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Lettuce & Onion.
Step 1 - Toast one slice of bread.
Step 2 -While waiting for the toaster, butter the other 2 slices.
Step 3 -Add mayo, cheese, sun dried tomato and lettuce.
Step 4 -Add the slice of toast. Add mayo, more cheese, onion and sweetcorn.
Step 5 -Add the other slice of bread and squash the whole thing so it fits in your mouth.

Step 6 - Enjoy.

And veggie too. I'm going to make that AD. I'll go get some sun-dried tomatoes this week and sample it. Thanks for sharing this with the Machine Nation Commonwealth, AfricanDave!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 12:28 am

905 wrote:
Didn't we already have a cookery and gardening forum? Anyway:
#4 banana sandwhich: a banana, some bread and lots of sugar. An old childhood favourite.

One of my top favourites still to this day. I use less or no sugar now. And brown bread instead of white. But it's still the same classic great sandwich of my youth also. Great with a big glass of cold fresh milk.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 12:34 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
905 wrote:
Didn't we already have a cookery and gardening forum? Anyway:
#4 banana sandwhich: a banana, some bread and lots of sugar. An old childhood favourite.

One of my top favourites still to this day. I use less or no sugar now. And brown bread instead of white. But it's still the same classic great sandwich of my youth also. Great with a big glass of cold fresh milk.

yeah, i think we grew up on a mixture of banana-and-sugar and egg-mayo-with-onion sandwiches.
An English friend swears by salt rather than sugar with the banana - apparently it brings out the natural sugar of the banana - still haven't tried it myself.

It all brings back a memory of a school trip to Butlins Mosney in Meath (hey, that was a holiday for us cyclops ) - we were the only kids on the bus whose mum had put onions in our egg mayo sandwiches - shame and social exclusion for the day!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 12:41 am

Come on Atticus - make it formal ! Give your egg-mayo and banana and sugar (!) sandwich a number !

I love egg mayo but it does funny stuff to me pale
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 12:49 am

No I wouldn't dignify it with a number. Question is, do I tell you what my brother's favourite sandwich is? Truly disgusting.

love this thread.

(... btw am waay beyond exhaustion at the mo, both mental and physical and finally going on hols in a couple of weeks so the threads I want to get back to Squire on and elsewhere will have to wait til late sept.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 12:53 am

If you're exhausted then we have just the thread for you .... this!

Tell us what your brother's disgusting sandwich is and when you're asleep I'm going to sneak in an give your sweet and savoury sambo a number!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 12:56 am

Atticus wrote:
No I wouldn't dignify it with a number. Question is, do I tell you what my brother's favourite sandwich is? Truly disgusting.

love this thread.

(... btw am waay beyond exhaustion at the mo, both mental and physical and finally going on hols in a couple of weeks so the threads I want to get back to Squire on and elsewhere will have to wait til late sept.)

Have a lovely holiday Atticus. Well deserved. I hope you have nice weather, wherever you are.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 12:58 am

* 15 The YR Special - this is NOT mine, I hasten to add!

- good thick white toastie bread
- either Chicken Tikka or chicken in salsa sauce
- allllllll covered in YR sauce and Aromat

... and apparently, there have to be FOUR of these, the real enjoyment only coming after the second one ... affraid and you thought the Croque Monsieur was a heart attack sandwich ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:01 am

cactus flower wrote:
Atticus wrote:

love this thread.

Have a lovely holiday Atticus. Well deserved. I hope you have nice weather, wherever you are.

thank you. It involves two weeks on a beautiful white sand beach with sun, a pile of books, some lovely dolphins and the odd bottle of wine ... I so can't wait ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:08 am

Atticus wrote:
* 15 The YR Special - this is NOT mine, I hasten to add!

- good thick white toastie bread
- either Chicken Tikka or chicken in salsa sauce
- allllllll covered in YR sauce and Aromat

... and apparently, there have to be FOUR of these, the real enjoyment only coming after the second one ... affraid and you thought the Croque Monsieur was a heart attack sandwich ...

That is spectacular Atticus. A few Taytos for a garnish and it would be a feast fit for a Head of State. Here's one I like:

#16 Goats Cheese and Grilled Aubergine

2 slices of ciabacca bread grilled on a stick over fire
a slice of aubergine painted with good olive oil and grilled
a slice of goat's cheese
a dash of pesto

Put it all together fast enough for the cheese to melt. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:11 am

That doesn't sound too bad at all Atticus

Thick white pan thickly buttered
some pork or lamb leftover from the day before
HP sauce

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:16 am

I know this is going to sound a bit wierd, but...

#18 - Pasta Sandwich
Ingredients - White bread, butter and left-over pasta in tomato sauce.
Step 1 - Butter the bread
Step 2 - Add a good forkfull of pasta
Step 3 - Some freshly ground black pepper

My sister-in-law also eats stuffing sandwiches.
She gets the leftover stuffing and puts it on a slice of bread with some butter and if there's any gravy left she throws a bit on too.
Really it's just a bread sandwich.

Last edited by AfricanDave on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:25 am

God, I will get around to listing something I actually make and enjoy myself - in the meantime, any sandwich list surely has to include -

* 19 - The Chip Buttie

- thick white bread
- butter
- lovely big thick meaty chips
- too much salt
- dash of vinegar

... that's it, I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:28 am

Goat's cheese and aubergines are two of my favourite ingredients in any meal. We grow our own aubergines.

Audi, I love most meats but have just never ever enjoyed brown sauce.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:32 am

# 20 Cooked ham and English Mustard

Another classic:

brown bread
cooked ham
butter
a touch of Coleman's

mmmm...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:34 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
That doesn't sound too bad at all Atticus

Thick white pan thickly buttered
some pork or lamb leftover from the day before
HP sauce

Or with a slice of cold beef, salt, with chutney or mustard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:35 am

Atticus wrote:
Goat's cheese and aubergines are two of my favourite ingredients in any meal. We grow our own aubergines.

Audi, I love most meats but have just never ever enjoyed brown sauce.
I detest Chef brown sauce because it has a lot of vinegar and I despise vinegar. This comes from my grandmother reading certain parts of the Jesus story over and over again to us when we were young.

HP brown sauce is different as I think it has a lot less vinegar - or tastier vinegar if it has some. HP is more like a chutney but not very ... it is spicy and good for you. Do you like chutney?

The chip butty - mmmm, good one. I love melted butter around the chips and some places do it with mayonnaise ...

cactus flower wrote:
# 20 Cooked ham and English Mustard
What is mustard of the english variety? It's good and I also like the German senf stuff which is more like the hotdog mustard in America.

Your sandwich is a style of hotdog cactus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:43 am

English mustard is very strong. You only need a very small amount on the tip of the knife. It's not like French or American mustard which can be dolloped on in the same kind of quantities as ketchup.
Coleman's comes in a small jar with a yellow label.
It is delicious though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:44 am

AfricanDave wrote:

My sister-in-law also eats stuffing sandwiches.
She gets the leftover stuffing and puts it on a slice of bread with some butter and if there's any gravy left she throws a bit on too.
Really it's just a bread sandwich.

ooh, stuffing sandwiches, yum, I may well have thought of that over the years ... and with gravy, especially if it's proper home-made gravy, lovingly accumulated over many meals, using the juices from steak, chicken, whatever other meat dishes ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:46 am

A dash of Dijon mustard is lovely mixed in with your mashed potatoes ... apologies for off-topicness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:48 am

Well I'm a veggie so I wouldn't eat stuffing out of a chicken, but I often make my own without the chicken.
Just use breadcrumbs, some onion, herbs & spices and a bit of butter and olive oil. Wrap the whole lot in tin foil and throw it in the oven for a while.
I would also make my own gravy using the Knorr vegetable stock cubes and a fairly simple roux.
And wine. Wine is essential for a good gravy.

I love food so much
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 1:55 am

Some very posh sangidges in that lot. Far from dijon mustard and smoked salmon I was born. Razz

Is bread and jam a good recession sandwich ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

1000 Sandwiches
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next