Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

1000 Sandwiches

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage

1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 2:13 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
In Spain, you can get amazing hot pork sandwiches.

They have meat called 'lomo' which is warmed roast pork I guess. Hmm - lovely and simple with some pan and maybe a few little gotos of aceite d'oliva.

They have lovely stuff called 'sobresada' which is a paste made from pounded chorizo. Hmm .. yum

Up the mountains just after Christmas there are big hooleys with dancing and hot lomo on sliced pan washed down with the new seasons sweet wine, and dancing around like Wexford mummers with a load of flowers on their heads (and that's just the men). geek
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 1:55 am

To give this thing the kick-start it needs:

#39 Chicken & pesto sandwich
Chicken pieces (best to cook a whole chicken, or buy a cooked chicken, and hack off little pieces) and green pesto between two slices of bread, white or brown. Don't just spread the pesto on, put the chicken pieces in a bowl and mix the pesto right through. Add a pinch of salt or even black pepper to the mix if you are so inclined.

#40 Salami & cheese toastie
Again, as the name would suggest (I'm not too creative with my sandwich names). Toast the bread first because the grill doesn't quite do it. Then put on a layer of salami, sprinkle with grated red cheddar and lash some black pepper on over that. Stick it under the grill until the whole things melts together. Stick another slice of toasted bread on top to make up the sandwich element (though it's just as good on one slice) and enjoy.

I'm eager to try it with with jalapeno peppers between the cheese and the salami, as per my girlfriend's suggestion (I was looking for a way to incorporate the Godliness that it jalapeno peppers into my daily lunch ).
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 2:49 am

They are very posh sandwiches ecr. What ever happened to brown sauce.

Pesto is olive oil and spinach ? Forgive me I am among the culinary challenged.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 3:47 am

From Wikipedia, salvation of the culinary challenged:
Quote :
Pesto alla genovese is made with Genovese basil, salt, garlic, Ligurian extra virgin olive oil (Taggiasco), European pine nuts (often toasted) and a grated hard cheese like Parmigiano Reggiano (but which may be Grana Padano, Pecorino Sardo or Pecorino Romano).

Commercial pesto is commonly available in stores in green (original) or red (with sun-dried tomatoes or red bell peppers) varieties, produced by major manufacturers or under a 'generic' or 'cheaper' brand. In this quality pesto, cashew nuts or walnuts are often used instead of pine nuts, because they are less expensive and have a similar texture. Cheaper oils may also be used.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 3:50 am

I do not think I have ever tasted pesto. I like those ingredients though. So I can buy pesto in a jar ? Would you recommend one ecr...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 3:54 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
I do not think I have ever tasted pesto. I like those ingredients though. So I can buy pesto in a jar ? Would you recommend one ecr...
Is there a 24 hour shop near you! This brand is my favourite - almost as nice as a couple of spoons of brown sauce in your tea.

1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 Sauce1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 3:55 am

Yes, you can buy it in a jar. I'm no connoisseur, in fact I am the exact opposite; a student. I buy the Tesco stuff and it's good enough for me. Pesto is an inherently nice addition to one's pallet (or something); while I'm sure there are differences in quality, I imagine you'd have to go a long way to find a bad pesto.

That said, Jamie Oliver has a new range of pesto out, about which I've heard good things. Might be a good place to start.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 4:01 am

Good pesto will have plenty of basil whereas a cheaper one will use parsley or something. And the olive oil is cheaper in the cheaper ones. And there's cheese in good pesto which goes off in a jar so it's best to buy the little plastic pot in the fridge with a close sell-buy date.

As a student and poor you should try to eat good pesto at least once a year during Rag Week or Freshers Week. Or during the summer exams.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 4:05 am

I never got pesto during ragweek. That explains what's wrong with me.

So who can I sue ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 2:25 pm

For the successful sandwich there are only 2 inviolable rules, the result must be,
1. Wet
And
2. Sans pesto, that particular mixture is an abomination.
White or brown is as always a personal choice, but why restrict yourself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 4:08 pm

They are very posh sandwiches ecr. What ever happened to brown sauce.

Brown sauce? Gosh, how deplorable, a peasant's poison it is!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 7:33 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
Yes, you can buy it in a jar. I'm no connoisseur, in fact I am the exact opposite; a student. I buy the Tesco stuff and it's good enough for me. Pesto is an inherently nice addition to one's pallet (or something); while I'm sure there are differences in quality, I imagine you'd have to go a long way to find a bad pesto.

That said, Jamie Oliver has a new range of pesto out, about which I've heard good things. Might be a good place to start.

The tesco version is actually one of the best ones out there - tastes less like minced grass than a lot of the others. I don't recall the Buitoni one.

Audi's right about buying it refrigerated. In summer it requires an obscene amount of basil to make a small amount - but it's yummy stuff. I often mix it with creme fraiche or sour cream for pasta. And it is especially good with chicken - once it's not cold chicken. And it's even good cold on cold pasta.

Husband hates it with a passion - even the smell, which can be quite amusing when we're out and he's figuring out how to avoid the bits drizzled all over the top of his meal.

What's this about brown sauce in tea? Who said that? Wait until Ard Taoiseach, defender of the Tealogical Faith gets his hands on you...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 8:17 pm

Was it in Intermission that Colin Farrell hangs out at Rathfarnham Shopping Centre putting Brown Sauce in his tea?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 11:09 pm

johnfás wrote:
Was it in Intermission that Colin Farrell hangs out at Rathfarnham Shopping Centre putting Brown Sauce in his tea?

Indeed it was. A hilarious scene.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 3:42 am

#41 Steak & Cheese
Steak (or peppered/seasoned steak) done how you like it, chopped up into little pieces, with jalapeno peppers and cheese between two slices of bread. Get the cheese on while the steak's still hot so it melts. Obviously what cheese to use is a personal choice, but this is one of the rare instants where I personally find those processed cheese "singles" to be nicer than the more "real" cheeses.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 4:31 am

johnfás wrote:

Indeed it was. A hilarious scene.

Hilarious? Hugely disturbing imo. I had palpatations watching that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 2:32 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
#41 Steak & Cheese
Steak (or peppered/seasoned steak) done how you like it, chopped up into little pieces, with jalapeno peppers and cheese between two slices of bread. Get the cheese on while the steak's still hot so it melts. Obviously what cheese to use is a personal choice, but this is one of the rare instants where I personally find those processed cheese "singles" to be nicer than the more "real" cheeses.

#42 Black and Blue Sandwich

This is cheating, but it's based on a black and blue salad with wonderful dressing served in a steak restaurant in Portlaoise called Kelly's Foundry. I love the salad but it would make a great sandwich.

They won't share anything about the recipe for the dressing. But if you were to put hot steak, melting crumbled blue cheese, hot mushrooms and peppers smeared with creme fraiche with a shake of paprika on frisée lettuce between two slices of good bread or in a decent roll - sourdough maybe, you wouldn't be too far off. They use frisée in the salad - it doesn't go soggy with the hot meat and chese like others would.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1000 Sandwiches   1000 Sandwiches - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

1000 Sandwiches
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5