Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Announcement - Site Development Underway

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
It's quite unreadable therefore largely redundant. But my PC does not seem to mind. Smile

Here's a trainspotting question: any idea off the top of your head of the hex colour value of the menubar buttons you made? The scrolling one is bgcolor="#000080" which i'd like to change to match the menu bar buttons.

If you know this value off the top of your head ... Shocked

Not off the top of my head. You could suck the colour in gimp and it will tell you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 5:26 pm

I have it open in GIMP but I'm not sure how I can see the colour value. Is it the RGB value? Is that translated into hex then?

I find the GIMP very complex it's like CAD.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 5:45 pm

#4582B1

Yes its the hex of the 3 byte rgb value
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 5:48 pm

Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 Gimpco10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 7:07 pm

Thanks - I updated that value. Your buttons look a lot more complicated up close...

Here's my gimp. I found the Colour Picker but didn't know what to do with it. It's in Tools...

Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 Colour10

scratch
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 7:16 pm

Hover it over the image and click.

It sucks up paint and tells you the colour.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 7:46 pm

Aha .. I had to hold 'shift' though ..

So do you use it a lot? There's tons in it - I wouldn't know where to start. I did a night course in CAD once and ran away from it after a few goes. I did a Java course another time and couldn't get enough after 12 weeks scratch

Gimp is less complicated than CAD is it? I should be able for Gimp though, being an arty farty type. I use 'Kolorpaint' to doctor images here and that keeps me from learning it. There's a project in a Linux magazine I got recently which shows you a few tricks. It's building a cog animation Smile (is that possible with this application - I only looked cursorily about a month ago)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 5:26 pm

Some new links were added today to the New Politics section on the left-hand side - links to docs of all Senators and TDs emails. Maybe those emails themselves should be copied onto a small thread here and linked to on that panel ?

Also we have on board Mr. Martin Hogan who is running for Dublin City Council in 2009 and who seems to have a very welcome participatory angle to his campaign as I read it cursorily from his website http://www.martinhogan.ie/ - am I any way right Martin ?

In preparation for the council elections next year look out for new button there in the New Politics section which will be a drop-down menu of links to all such candidate sites. We should include links to discussions/debates which have arisen with them here, too there. If any of you would like to invite prospective candidates here where we can grill them outside the D. Chamber on their policy manifestos in the up and coming elections.

Happy Saturday to all and if you leave the house, don't forget an umbrella.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: New Forum !   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 12:33 pm

I am happy to announce the machine nation public auditing of the national public accounts forum ! But it won't be called that it'll be called The Estimates of Receipts of Public Expenditure 2009 and it is found in business and finance here.

We are going to be precious about these 41 threads though and intend to have a parallel set of discussions on the money spent either in business and finanace or national politics linking to the figures in the new forum threads and being a source of information to be added into the Estimates threads.

This is intended as a long-term project for the site and its members and others who might be able to contribute anything they know or find about public expenditure in areas like HSE and Education, defence etc. Just this morning for instance, there is a report in the Indo on what the HSE pays out to top advisers .. link

Shane Phelan and Eilish O'Regan wrote:
THE HEALTH Service Executive has forked out thousands of euro in extra payments to highly paid advisers -- above and beyond the terms of their lucrative contracts.

This should go into a discussion thread on the HSE expenditure now and we'll update the VOTE thread with the appropriate link. I reckon some of the choicest posts and quotes should go into the VOTES threads from the discussion threads we'll open. Something like that - we haven't decided fully yet. Any ideas would be most welcome on the formats.

I'll pm everyone later on this project and thanks to EVM for starting it off. It'll be slow but very valuable I think so if anyone knows anyone who could contribute or has any ideas please feel free to jump in and open a discussion thread relating to the VOTE #X figures.

cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 12:50 pm

Auditor, this is a good idea. Will we post at all into the threads with the estimate in, or are they just for reference? Do we aim to have one separate thread for each of the estimates?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2008 12:57 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Auditor, this is a good idea. Will we post at all into the threads with the estimate in, or are they just for reference? Do we aim to have one separate thread for each of the estimates?
I think we might start off with a seperate thread for discussion on stuff we find in papers or whatever and keep the VOTE threads themselves for reference. It will have to end up in publishable form so might as well start it off as a reference. Posts on the related discussion threads can be written with the intention of having them transferred to the reference thread though and remember that your granny might be reading it who'll want to know why some fellas in the HSE are getting paid a whack of cash for example. We'll have to make it up as we're going along generally though.

What do you think of that ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 10:03 pm

Is there atill some development underwy? The Latest Discussions are taking an age to load and I am getting errors on the page.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
Is there atill some development underwy? The Latest Discussions are taking an age to load and I am getting errors on the page.

Are you getting what I call "stretchy thread syndrome"? Big gaps and overlapping?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 10:17 pm

Nope - I'm ok on that score and the latest discussions column is back to its correct width and all. Just very slow to load the portal page. Perhaps there arer additional scripts or advertisements by forumakers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 10:30 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
Nope - I'm ok on that score and the latest discussions column is back to its correct width and all. Just very slow to load the portal page. Perhaps there arer additional scripts or advertisements by forumakers

Its not happening to me today, although occasionally it does. I wish I understood these things.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Now, I think this might be something called 'yieldmanager' which seems to be a spyware program that's gotten into our browsers. You might have to delete the spyware cookie or file that gets put into your browser.

Instructions here for Internet Explorer users
http://www.spywareremove.com/removeadyieldmanagercom.html

In firefox use Edit/Preferences/Privacy/Show Cookies

find the yieldmanager file and highlight then click 'remove cookie'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 12:12 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Now, I think this might be something called 'yieldmanager' which seems to be a spyware program that's gotten into our browsers. You might have to delete the spyware cookie or file that gets put into your browser.

I've got stuck on the first hurdle with the firefox instructions. I don't see preferences under edit. How I ended up on a forum called Machine Nation I don't know. I'm clueless with machines!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 12:23 am

floatingingalway wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

I've got stuck on the first hurdle with the firefox instructions. I don't see preferences under edit. How I ended up on a forum called Machine Nation I don't know. I'm clueless with machines!
Isn't Preferences at the bottom of Edit ? Is there Tools and Preferences ? It could be a different version of Firefox. Anyway you need to find the browser buttons to switch off some cookies. If you find the buttons we can decide which cookies to avoid. The yieldmanager one seems to be a right low-down pest altogether.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 9:35 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
floatingingalway wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Isn't Preferences at the bottom of Edit ? Is there Tools and Preferences ? It could be a different version of Firefox. Anyway you need to find the browser buttons to switch off some cookies. If you find the buttons we can decide which cookies to avoid. The yieldmanager one seems to be a right low-down pest altogether.
Had a good look around (to the best of my ability) and no sign of tools or preferences
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 9:43 pm

Can you see Tools/Preferences ? If you can you might also see Privacy so click on that - that's where you control your cookies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 10:05 pm

Yay cheers I found Tools. Went to options and found several yieldmanager cookies. Should I go all out and get rid of all cookies? Never had a sweet tooth anyway..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 10:15 pm

floatingingalway wrote:
Yay cheers I found Tools. Went to options and found several yieldmanager cookies. Should I go all out and get rid of all cookies? Never had a sweet tooth anyway..... Very Happy

Getting rid of the warts is just like putting cream on - they come back again in the next season so you must defend yourself genetically against these pestilences - your Cookie panel in Options/Tools should allow you to filter the cookies which you don't want. It says "Exceptions" on mine - I don't know what it says on yours (looks like I have a different browser version/OS to you) Enter ad.yieldmanager.com in there to block the ad.

If you haven't got cookies enabled in these cookies panels then the site will log you out after a short period. Those of you who lose long posts might want to check your cookies settings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 10:30 pm

Done. Thank you Audi.
flower

my pleasure

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add note)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:06 pm

The portal page is too wide for my screen. Has been for some time but it is worse today.

Can I also suggest the the Lisbon Treaty resources get a prominent place again? We all know the question is coming.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:23 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
The portal page is too wide for my screen. Has been for some time but it is worse today.

Can I also suggest the the Lisbon Treaty resources get a prominent place again? We all know the question is coming.

Anyone else having the same issues ?

Try pressing CTRL and - (minus) as it's fine for me on two different computers. I'll see if I can change it if that doesn't work and the problem is not browser-related. You could also try the View button on your browser.

Let us know how you get on and yes the Lisbon stuff will have to come back soon. We can re-jig it a bit this time. I might put up a panel on it now on the right hand side.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - Site Development Underway   Announcement - Site Development Underway - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Announcement - Site Development Underway
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next