Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Films for Lads

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Films for Lads - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:13 am

anmajornarthainig wrote:
Zodiac is another great film. The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford.

What's Zodiac? Is it murder/horror ? Or about Ted Bundy or someone?
I presume Lord of the Rings isn't something you enjoy?

How about Russell Crowe fillums? LA Confidential and 310 to Yuma?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:16 am

Zodiac is about the Zodiac murders in the US in the 70s or 80s. Yer man Jake Gyllenhall (spelling?) is in it.
Lord of the Rings was a travesty. It's one thing taking parts of the story out to make it film-friendly but Jackson went and added in the whole love story between whats his name and the elf played by Liv Tyler.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:19 am

I liked the first two Lord of the Rings. I thought the third one was desperate. I haven`t read any of the books. I saw the one about Narnia a while back and didn`t like that one. You`re right about Zodiac African Dave. It`s a good show.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:21 am

Yeah LA Confidential is a good film. I haven`t seen the other yet. It`s on my to see list. Gladiator I liked, as well speaking of Russ and A Beautiful Mind.

Another Great lads film: The Magnificent Seven
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:23 am

The Motorcycle Diaries.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:25 am

LA Confidential is great, so is Gladiator, but that's another one I would have put down as appealing to girls (maybe because of Russel Crowe?)
What about the new Batman films? Batman Begins was excellent. I've only seen a pirated version of the Dark Knight and the quality was crap. The film is great though.
V for Vendetta?
There Will Be Blood?
Platoon? This was on Sky last week and I hadn't seen it before. I thoroughly enjoyed it though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:27 am

anmajornarthainig wrote:
The Motorcycle Diaries.
I loved it - and the other Gael Bernal one - Y Tu Mama Tambien - watch it if you can stick subtitles. Also Amorres Perros with the same actor. It's more of a film about culture though ... A lot of those foreign films are hard to classify ..

There Will Be Blood - another history film but what a performance by DD Lewis - his character is unforgettable ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:28 am

Batman Begins is great. Am going to see the new one on Sunday in mixed company so it `s not completely a bloke`s film. Platoon is super. (Have you seen Hamburger Hill?) I don`t know how I missed it. Haven`t seen There will be blood yet (afraid after all the hype. Wouldn`t be that interested in V for Vendetta.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:29 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
anmajornarthainig wrote:
The Motorcycle Diaries.
I loved it - and the other Gael Bernal one - Y Tu Mama Tambien - watch it if you can stick subtitles. Also Amorres Perros with the same actor. It's more of a film about culture though ... A lot of those foreign films are hard to classify ..

There Will Be Blood - another history film but what a performance by DD Lewis - his character is unforgettable ..

Thanks for the tip about Y Tu Mama Tambien I haven`t seen it yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:36 am

V for Vendetta is ok if you like comic books or graphic novels. I'd like to see it again now. The new Batman is very wicked in parts and the best thing about it is
Spoiler:

What about Midnight Express or the Rocky film?

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:37 am

No westerns in a film for the lads thread. Disgarceful. In no particular order........

The Wild Bunch
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Miller's Crossing
Any Sergio Leone movie
Jackie Brown
Blue Vevet
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
Evil Dead III - Army Of Darkness
The Big Lebowski
Apocalypto
Airplane 1 & 2
Jamaica Inn
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:42 am

Wouldn`t be gone on Rocky. Don`t really like films where you see the hand of the director too much to be honest so films that are based on Graphic novels etc. don`t really appeal to me.

Magnificent Seven is in there Seathrún. I`d also include The Big Country (but not really a bloke`s film). Miller`s Crossing is ok but I`m not that keen on it. I`m interested to see Jamaica Inn in there. Hitchcock`s directorial debut is it not? Maureen O`Hara and Charles Laughton were in it as well. The Man who shot Liberty Valance is a good show. How about Shane?

High Noon, High Noon, High Noon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:43 am

310 to Yuma above. I used to love the spaghetti westerns and what about these
Paris Texas
Death Race 2000
Smokey and the Bandit

Airplane 1, 2 are classic
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:45 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

Airplane 1, 2 are classic

Agreed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:45 am

Seeing as Airplane has been dragged into it spoof films I`ve liked Hot Shots and Hot Shots Part Deux, Naked Gun and Naked Gun 2 and 1/2, Dragnet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:46 am

I also like "Whoops Apocalypse".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:47 am

I've never liked too many westerns but 310 to Yuma is very good.
Is Airplane the serious one or is that Airport? I can never remember which is which.
It really seems to me that most films are aimed towards men, leaving a small number of films that are aimed at women being labelled 'chick flicks'.
Most films seem to be written primarily for a male market and have a bit of romance etc thrown in for the women in the audience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:48 am

anmajornarthainig wrote:
Seeing as Airplane has been dragged into it spoof films I`ve liked Hot Shots and Hot Shots Part Deux, Naked Gun and Naked Gun 2 and 1/2, Dragnet.
I think Dragnet is the only spoof film I've enjoyed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:49 am

Hmmm, I think there's men's film like westerns and Platoon. And then there's boy's film which involve monkey sex and excrement. I didn't like the motorcycle Diaries. For a western I would say the Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. And has no one mentioned Fight Club? I liked Dragnet but it got terrible reviews I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:50 am

Anyone seen the film "Sweet Liberty" It`s a comedy about the rewriting of a battle in the American War of Independence for a film. The "director" in the film says that the main market for any film is the teenage boy market who only want to see three things 1. Somebody defying authority 2. something blown up 3. nudity That refers to the point african dave was making about the primary target being blokes.

I`m not that keen on Fight Club. I`ve seen it twice and did prefer it the second time. I just didn`t like the ending but won`t spoil it for anyone.

Last edited by anmajornarthainig on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:51 am

anmajornarthainig wrote:
Wouldn`t be gone on Rocky. Don`t really like films where you see the hand of the director too much to be honest so films that are based on Graphic novels etc. don`t really appeal to me.

Magnificent Seven is in there Seathrún. I`d also include The Big Country (but not really a bloke`s film). Miller`s Crossing is ok but I`m not that keen on it. I`m interested to see Jamaica Inn in there. Hitchcock`s directorial debut is it not? Maureen O`Hara and Charles Laughton were in it as well. The Man who shot Liberty Valance is a good show. How about Shane?

High Noon, High Noon, High Noon.

I think Miller's Crossing is under rated and mainly , it appears , because of the presence of Gabriel Byrne but there isn't a superfluous line in it. Brilliant cast (GB aside) and a stack of one liners to keep any student mimicing for years.

Agree with High Noon totally.

Rio Grande, Rio Bravo, High Plains Drifter, Dirty Harry

Charles Laughton was a fantastic fiend in Jamaica Inn. Real menace with a veneer of caring
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:56 am

I found the dialogue in Miller`s Crossing a bit contrived. The script is really good but I felt it owed a lot to movie versions of gangster speak and for me it grated a bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:59 am

AfricanDave wrote:
I've never liked too many westerns but 310 to Yuma is very good.
Is Airplane the serious one or is that Airport? I can never remember which is which.
It really seems to me that most films are aimed towards men, leaving a small number of films that are aimed at women being labelled 'chick flicks'.
Most films seem to be written primarily for a male market and have a bit of romance etc thrown in for the women in the audience.

See that's it now - the films we're naming here are the most part of the films in the shop but they include comedy and history and sci-fi which are all loved by some of the women some of the time. Those women for the sci-fi are hard to find but they are there. I should join a club.

So there may be a broad category in the middle of the road you are saying that leans heavily towards the men but with a little girl-candy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 2:59 am

anmajornarthainig wrote:
I found the dialogue in Miller`s Crossing a bit contrived. The script is really good but I felt it owed a lot to movie versions of gangster speak and for me it grated a bit.

I think that's intentional
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 3:00 am

anmajornarthainig wrote:
So did I. It's Coen brothers isn't it? I thought The Hudsucker Proxy was enjoyable at the time.

So sell us Miller's Crossing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Films for Lads
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next