Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Films for Lads

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Films for Lads - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 3:01 am

Oh, yeah I know. That`s what grated with me. I hate being aware of who the director is when I`m watching a film and that tends to be the case with a Coen brother film and with Tarantino and I`m not over keen on either of them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 3:05 am

Do ye think there are seperate arts for men and women? i find I can't read fiction by women - indeed any books by women but I listen to a disproportionate quantity of their music.

Maybe visual art is also better imo done by women but men have the cinema?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 3:06 am

anmajornarthainig wrote:
Oh, yeah I know. That`s what grated with me. I hate being aware of who the director is when I`m watching a film and that tends to be the case with a Coen brother film and with Tarantino and I`m not over keen on either of them.

Tarantino is pretty hard to take at times but na deartháireacha Coen are in a different ball park
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 3:06 am

**** Late night shite warning *****
Auditor #9 wrote:
Do ye think there are seperate arts for men and women? i find I can't read fiction by women - indeed any books by women but I listen to a disproportionate quantity of their music.

Oiche mhaith
Sleep

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 3:07 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

That`s a hugely interesting question amd one I`ll have to think about but I`m getting tired now and will be away to bed soon so I`m going to ignore that question for the time being.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 3:07 am

There is certainly a paucity of female comedians or should I say females that make men laugh

Last edited by SeathrúnCeitinn on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Auditor #9 wrote:
So there may be a broad category in the middle of the road you are saying that leans heavily towards the men but with a little girl-candy?
This is exactly what I'm saying.
Equally 'chick flicks' tend to have a little bit of man-candy - maybe the odd explosion or topless girl or somethig thrown in, but it seems that chick flicks only make up a small percentage of films, so most films are aimed at men but with a little bit of something to keep their wives/girlfriends happy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 3:09 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
There is certainly a paucity of female comedians

I think that`s a cultural thing. Could be because men tend to be admired more as story tellers. In a group of your friends think of who the people are who dominate story telling in the group. Among my friends it tends to be blokes with very few exceptions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 3:33 am

Jo Brand has made me laugh but I'm straining to think of another. Calamity Jane occasionally on Deadwood
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 3:47 am

Is Jo Brand on Absolutely Fabulous? I thought that was funny the one or two times I saw it. But there must be female comedians - maybe they don't roll off the top of the head as easily as male ones.

Don't tell me women have a different gsoh Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 3:59 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Is Jo Brand on Absolutely Fabulous? I thought that was funny the one or two times I saw it. But there must be female comedians - maybe they don't roll off the top of the head as easily as male ones.

Don't tell me women have a different gsoh Shocked

That would have been funny. Funnier than June Whitfield...grrrrrrrr.

She is a stand-up comedian who, 'sitting down', appears regularly on QI and jokes about her girth and rips the shit out of female attitudes in general. Former pschyiatric nurse, I believe, which would fuel her sometimes dark and subversive style when she is on form. Does get a bit staid at other times but she chooses her moments and doesn't bounce up and down and talk incessantly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 12:01 pm

Anmajornarthainig is playing a blinder on this thread, as I haven't heard of most of the films he's listed. I reckon he's the only one to have put his finger on what a lad's film, as opposed to a person's film, really is.

AfricanDave's comment that most films are male oriented with a bit of love interest in to pacify the wimmin is interesting. Most films are directed and filmed by men so the bottom line is that they can't fully express a female outlook. Can you think of more than half a dozen female directors? and how many camerawomen/lighting directors?

Fortunately for us wimmin, we are not as different from you as you might think, so we can enjoy most of the same films as men. A good film is a good film. I would be put off by extremes of wanton violence and sexism but otherwise I would very much enjoy most of the films people have mentioned.

Has anyone mentioned "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?". Is that a lad's film?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 12:39 pm

I'll tell you the worst film I've seen in a long time anyway - Wanted. It was utter tripe. Funny thing was a group of us from my time in UCD went, 2 lads and 2 girls. The girls thought it was REALLY good and an excellent example of what a lad should like in a film. The two of us lads thought it was about the worst film we'd ever seen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 12:43 pm

Off the top of me head

Apocalypse now redux - I preferred this version for some reason - seems to be more far out stuff in it and more of the story is left in it - got the "Complete Dossier" on DVD in the states earlier this year - with the 2 versions - commentary by Coppola and tons of interesting stuff about the making of it too - only available in the states tho. To be watched on ones own - with a good set of stereo headphones with the volume up and widescreen TV with some mind and mood altering substances of your choice on hand.

2001 A Space Odyssey - speaks for itself - every girlfriend I have had was either asleep or on the phone to their friends within 30 minutes of the start (what that says about them or me - Im not quite sure ) - to be enjoyed as above.

A Clockwork Orange - was a bit lost the first time I saw which is a good while ago in America as it was either banned or unavailable over here. Since then I've watched a few times and I get more and more into it the more I've watched it. A truly daring film

Outlands - very underated and little known film set in a mining colony in the Asteroid Belt - story of murder, drugs and corporate and personal corruption set in a place of very little oxygen and gravity. Sean Connery in a great performance back when he did interesting stuff - ie 70's - groundbreaking film in concept ,suspence and design that was ripped off within years by the Scotts for Alien.

Blade Runner - great great film - will bore the arse of your nearest and dearest - even with Harrison Ford - will quickly send your nearest and dearest fleeing the viewing area which you eventually acknowledge by looking around at the end of the film and notice she is gone.

Mad Max I and II - great far out films - Mel Gibson before hollywood back - 2 great dark moody alternative films - forget the rest of them - III-IV - total shite as they had been hollywoodised by this time.

Das Boot- this is what all naval films should be like - reality - submarines are only shiny chrome stainless steel shiny objects for about 10 minutes before the start up the engines and there isnt room to fart in them and definitely no room for the likes of Ben Affleck, Denzel Washington to have all the room in the world to ponce around in. Brilliant Brilliant Film -best naval one I've seen - but I would give The Hunt for Red October an honourable mention.

Gotta go and do some work simulation for now - I'll be back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Sorry Edo, but I have seen all those films and loved them (except Outlands - I must look out for that).

Kubrick is just to clever to be classed by gender. Das Boot is fantastic - anyone could relate to the tension and claustrophobia. Blade Runner - beautiful.

Perhaps I'd give you the Mad Maxes, and us girls will have Waterworld.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 12:53 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Sorry Edo, but I have seen all those films and loved them (except Outlands - I must look out for that).

Kubrick is just to clever to be classed by gender. Das Boot is fantastic - anyone could relate to the tension and claustrophobia. Blade Runner - beautiful.

Perhaps I'd give you the Mad Maxes, and us girls will have Waterworld.

Ah well - it must be my addiction to shallow blondes is giving me an incorrect perspective on female tastes Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 5:37 pm

Films for Lads - Page 3 Daniel-craig6

Nothing wrong with blondes. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Suspect Girly girl alert on lad's movie thread Suspect
Films for Lads - Page 3 25983310

Ah ....thats much more pleasing to the eye
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 6:10 pm

Edo wrote:
Off the top of me head

Apocalypse now redux - I preferred this version for some reason - seems to be more far out stuff in it and more of the story is left in it - got the "Complete Dossier" on DVD in the states earlier this year - with the 2 versions - commentary by Coppola and tons of interesting stuff about the making of it too - only available in the states tho. To be watched on ones own - with a good set of stereo headphones with the volume up and widescreen TV with some mind and mood altering substances of your choice on hand.

2001 A Space Odyssey - speaks for itself - every girlfriend I have had was either asleep or on the phone to their friends within 30 minutes of the start (what that says about them or me - Im not quite sure ) - to be enjoyed as above.

A Clockwork Orange - was a bit lost the first time I saw which is a good while ago in America as it was either banned or unavailable over here. Since then I've watched a few times and I get more and more into it the more I've watched it. A truly daring film

Outlands - very underated and little known film set in a mining colony in the Asteroid Belt - story of murder, drugs and corporate and personal corruption set in a place of very little oxygen and gravity. Sean Connery in a great performance back when he did interesting stuff - ie 70's - groundbreaking film in concept ,suspence and design that was ripped off within years by the Scotts for Alien.

Blade Runner - great great film - will bore the arse of your nearest and dearest - even with Harrison Ford - will quickly send your nearest and dearest fleeing the viewing area which you eventually acknowledge by looking around at the end of the film and notice she is gone.

Mad Max I and II - great far out films - Mel Gibson before hollywood back - 2 great dark moody alternative films - forget the rest of them - III-IV - total shite as they had been hollywoodised by this time.

Das Boot- this is what all naval films should be like - reality - submarines are only shiny chrome stainless steel shiny objects for about 10 minutes before the start up the engines and there isnt room to fart in them and definitely no room for the likes of Ben Affleck, Denzel Washington to have all the room in the world to ponce around in. Brilliant Brilliant Film -best naval one I've seen - but I would give The Hunt for Red October an honourable mention.

Gotta go and do some work simulation for now - I'll be back.

Great list, Apocalypse now redux is a smashing film.

The Hunt for Red October or, in fact, any of the Jack Ryan movies or anything by Tom Clancy is sure to send the other half out to organise her sewing notions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 8:39 pm

Thanks for the mention Cactus.

I wasn`t gone on Apocolypse Now, I found it too slow moving to be honest. Das Boot I really liked. Anyone seen Stalingrad. That`s really good but I don`t know if it is still as stunning as it was when it was originally made. It`s got one of my all time favourite actors in it Thomas Kretschmann. (He plays the German officer in the film the Pianist, another great film). I would agree with Mad Max being lads films although I don`t personally have any interest in them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 9:49 pm

anmajornarthainig wrote:
I wasn`t gone on Apocolypse Now, I found it too slow moving to be honest. Das Boot I really liked. Anyone seen Stalingrad. That`s really good but I don`t know if it is still as stunning as it was when it was originally made. It`s got one of my all time favourite actors in it Thomas Kretschmann. (He plays the German officer in the film the Pianist, another great film). I would agree with Mad Max being lads films although I don`t personally have any interest in them.
I haven't seen Redux but thought the same as you about Apocalypse Now - a bit over hyped? Perhaps the Godfather films were a bit like that too for me - solid but worth all the fuss ..? #2 maybe... No, they were solid films.

Waterworld was Mad Max in the water. I think they happened in a bit of a genre of films of which there was a severe rash at the time about post-nuclear apocalypse and survival but Mad Max has relevance in that it linked the fictional cause of the apocalypse to economic fact - in Australia during the 70s oil crisis there appeared instances of marauding urban gangs because of the lack of petrol ... bizarre but apparently true. If there was such a shortage today wouldn't all the boy racers be going nuts for stuff to do? Still the question remains about the credibility of Mad Max - why the feck are they all wearing S&M leather gear in the future ??? The Postman with Kev Costner was another one of those films.

What about Dances with Wolves ? Was it a western, a history or a new age film and would it appeal to women and men alike ?

I've seen Stalingrad - there were only 3 films ever made about the war in the Eastern Front - Stalingrad, Cross of Iron and Enemy at the Gates - and thought it was good but I hate dubbed films and that's the version I have. I'll replace it eventually. It was the best of the three I thought.

My enduring memory of The Pianist will be Adrian Brody chopping a black, raw spud he finds in half in order to try to have something to eat for himself in his second week in the bombed-out wasteland of a city where he was terrified to move. A very violent film and the german officer had a role for only 20 minutes at the end but won an oscar or something - or at least he was on the front cover.

Schindler's List must be a universal one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 10:15 pm

I don`t think that Dances with Wolves is a bloke`s film. That`s a peoples`film. I always find it interesting that the future portrayed in films tends to be very negative rather than positive the invasion of privacy, nuclear holocausts etc. nobody seems to be interested in makinig futuristic films about a life without disease or without hunger. Cross of Iron definitely is a bloke`s film. I wouldn`t say the same about Enemy at the Gates. Schindler`s List is a very good film I don`t think it`s quite as good as has been made out. It`s hard to be objective about that subject matters of that type.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 10:46 pm

mmmmmmm......Soylent Green
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 12:50 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
mmmmmmm......Soylent Green

Feeling peckish? No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 2:27 am

Judge Dredd with Sylvester Stallone - a pure chick flick if there ever was one. Sorry, shit flick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Films for Lads   Films for Lads - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Films for Lads
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next