Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Olympics Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

The Olympics Thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 2:18 pm

India is obviously a country which needs a huge investment in sporting infrastructure. It has the second largest population on the globe with some 1.13 billion people. That is some 300 million more people than the USA and the entire populations of the 27 Member States of the European Union combined.

However, so far at the Beijing Olympics India has managed two medals - one gold and one bronze. There is a strong possibility that Ireland, a country with a population one-two-hundred-and-fifthieth the size of India will finish ahead of them in the medals table.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 2:54 pm

johnfás wrote:
India is obviously a country which needs a huge investment in sporting infrastructure. It has the second largest population on the globe with some 1.13 billion people. That is some 300 million more people than the USA and the entire populations of the 27 Member States of the European Union combined.

However, so far at the Beijing Olympics India has managed two medals - one gold and one bronze. There is a strong possibility that Ireland, a country with a population one-two-hundred-and-fifthieth the size of India will finish ahead of them in the medals table.

Also projected to grow much bigger than China, who are fighting the good fight against population explosion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 4:23 pm

Egan is 8-1 up at the end ofthe third. Go on ye boy ye
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 4:26 pm

And we have a guaranteed silver.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 4:28 pm

riadach wrote:
And we have a guaranteed silver.

Away da Neilstown
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 8:08 pm

It's great, the first round was very cagey with it ending 1-1. The rest of it flew away with Egan hammering the Sasanach salach. He's drawn against a Chinese boxer next. I hope he can beat him on home ground.

Last edited by Ard-Taoiseach on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
It's great, the first round was very cagey with it ending 1-1. The rest of it flew away with Egan hammering the Sasanach shalacha. He's drawn against a Chinese boxer next. I hope he can beat him on home ground.

Sasanach salach - ceann amháin Sasanaigh shalacha - níos mó ná ceann amháin......Tá súil agam nach bhfuil sin ró-mhíbheascach Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 9:09 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
It's great, the first round was very cagey with it ending 1-1. The rest of it flew away with Egan hammering the Sasanach salach. He's drawn against a Chinese boxer next. I hope he can beat him on home ground.

Sasanach salach - ceann amháin Sasanaigh shalacha - níos mó ná ceann amháin......Tá súil agam nach bhfuil sin ró-mhíbheascach Very Happy

Go raibh míle, Seathrún. Ceartaigh mé an botún.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 11:20 am

Home town verdict against Egan but a silver and two bronze is better than nout. Well done. God could they not get somebody better to commentate on a fight than Jimmy Magee? He talked inane rubbish from start to finish
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:52 pm

I thought that the Chinese boxer who fought Egan fought well on the day and might well have beaten Egan anyway but Egan definitely did not get a fair crack of the whip. Congratulations to him all the same for an incredible achievement as well as the other two boys who won Bronze. I would also like to congratulate all those who achieved remarkable results such as Eoin Rheinisch, Olive Loughnanne, Paul Hession, Robert Heffernan and to commiserate with those who were disappointed with how things worked out for them. Regardless of whether or not they feel that they achieved all they could they`re an Olympian. How many people can say that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 3:45 pm

anmajornarthainig wrote:
I thought that the Chinese boxer who fought Egan fought well on the day and might well have beaten Egan anyway but Egan definitely did not get a fair crack of the whip. Congratulations to him all the same for an incredible achievement as well as the other two boys who won Bronze. I would also like to congratulate all those who achieved remarkable results such as Eoin Rheinisch, Olive Loughnanne, Paul Hession, Robert Heffernan and to commiserate with those who were disappointed with how things worked out for them. Regardless of whether or not they feel that they achieved all they could they`re an Olympian. How many people can say that?

Seconded ! Cheers to all the athletes, and to the Chinese hosts, who have nearly split their poor faces with all the smiling Very Happy
and, without taking anthing away from that, commiserations to the two old lades given a year suspended for applying to protest against the demolition of their courtyard house.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 4:47 pm

I see our nearest and dearest neighbours have begun their tenure as custodians of the olympic ideal in a typically well thought out manner, a double decker bus with the roof being blown off. What historical incident does that bring to mind? What can we expect for their opening ceremony in four years time, a mock up of the Grand Hotel, Brighton and the Olympic flame burning proudly from a Mk 12 mortar stuck in the back window of 10 Downing Street? I do of course wish them every success with the undertaking, likewise to Lucifer in his ongoing battle with the forces of good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 6:04 pm

lukedelmege wrote:
I see our nearest and dearest neighbours have begun their tenure as custodians of the olympic ideal in a typically well thought out manner, a double decker bus with the roof being blown off. What historical incident does that bring to mind? What can we expect for their opening ceremony in four years time, a mock up of the Grand Hotel, Brighton and the Olympic flame burning proudly from a Mk 12 mortar stuck in the back window of 10 Downing Street? I do of course wish them every success with the undertaking, likewise to Lucifer in his ongoing battle with the forces of good.

The subconcious mind is indeed a dangerous thing. Our own example is the giant hypodermic syringe stuck in the middle of O'Connell Street.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 6:12 pm

cactus flower wrote:
lukedelmege wrote:

The subconcious mind is indeed a dangerous thing. Our own example is the giant hypodermic syringe stuck in the middle of O'Connell Street.
Was better than the drunken hussey who spent her life in the bath, while (what I can only presume, given the length of her sojoirn there, was mostly her own urine) lapped around her naked comely form while she lay shamelessy out in the open for all to see. Was that the ideal you wanted the young women of Ireland to aspire to? Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 6:19 pm

riadach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
lukedelmege wrote:

Was better than the drunken hussey who spent her life in the bath, while (what I can only presume, given the length of her sojoirn there, was mostly her own urine) lapped around her naked comely form while she lay shamelessy out in the open for all to see. Was that the ideal you wanted the young women of Ireland to aspire to? Smile

From what I remember it was mostly the dregs from the coca cola cans that bobbed around her. Poor old Anna Livia. Any idea where she is now?
O'Connell Street doesn't seem a very safe environment for monuments, what with Nelsons Column and all. I suppose its only a matter of time before one of the planes from Jim Mansfield's aerodrome hits the Spike. What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 6:21 pm

Are you referring to the Whooer in the Sewer, the Paps 'neath the taps, the Bush at Mid-Flush and pushing it to the limits, the Lady 'pon the Bidet?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 6:25 pm

lukedelmege wrote:
Are you referring to the Whooer in the Sewer, the Paps 'neath the taps, the Bush at Mid-Flush and pushing it to the limits, the Lady 'pon the Bidet?

That would be herself Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 7:23 pm

cactus flower wrote:

From what I remember it was mostly the dregs from the coca cola cans that bobbed around her. Poor old Anna Livia. Any idea where she is now?

I can safely assume that it wasn't just her own urine that was babbling between the toes. Apparently it is being (noticed that this operation is currently underway Smile) to croppy's acre on the liffey.

Quote :

O'Connell Street doesn't seem a very safe environment for monuments, what with Nelsons Column and all. I suppose its only a matter of time before one of the planes from Jim Mansfield's aerodrome hits the Spike. What a Face

Well the most interesting monument on O'Connell street is a living one. That wonderful pious blonde lady who does the charleston over near the flowermongers is a site to behold. I have perhaos mentioned this before, but one of the funniest sights I have ever seen on that street was a car pulled onto the central reservation with the sign 'no to the euro' emblazoned upon it, complete with religious insignia, while a voice over a tannoy in a rather sandpapery elderly voice decried the single currency with Panis Angelicus as his background music. All the while, Dublin's dearest dancing denizen did her damndest to waltz a circle around the vehicle. It brought a tear to my eye.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 7:32 pm

If they are moving her to the Croppy Acre then I won't have far to go with my box of Ariel/Persil to create another wonderful bubble show.

and Riadach I remember yer woman. Gracious as a debutant at her first prom. Truely bizarre with the city going about their business all around her.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 7:44 pm

I enjoyed the image of Boris Johnson visiting China, the world`s largest dictatorship. A guy who scrapped a deal to supply cheap oil to London and criticised the leader of Venezuela on the basis that he (dishonestly) claimed Chavez was a dictator.

Last edited by anmajornarthainig on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 7:50 pm

Was the Closing Ceremony any good? Just home from a legal seminar now so I missed it and the Sky Plus got itself muddled up.

Boris is a twat, but he is an intelligent twat. Some people don't realise that and I would imagine if one took him on it would be at their peril.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 7:55 pm

I`d agree with you about him being a twat. As for intelligent I don`t know. He has certain strengths but to me seems to have little original thought. His positions are also very mainstream it`s easy to make arguments that are often being made. I also think that, like Bertie, his public persona is an act designed to make sure that whatever else he is he is not hated. I`d imagine that he is much more coherent in private.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 9:01 pm

By the way we came 62nd in the medals table. If Egan had won the Gold we would have been 52nd. Amazingly South Africa only won 2 medals and we gave Afghanistan a good hiding.....eh....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 9:08 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
By the way we came 62nd in the medals table. If Egan had won the Gold we would have been 52nd. Amazingly South Africa only won 2 medals and we gave Afghanistan a good hiding.....eh....

Where did India come? They're an Olympics black hole by all accounts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 9:16 pm

The Russians thought they had given them a good hiding too and the Yanks/Lapdogs are labouring under that misguided understanding too. How did Panama do in the Open Water Canoe event, survival of the fittest in that sport, according to Darwin that is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Olympics Thread   The Olympics Thread - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Olympics Thread
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next