Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Olympics Opening Ceremony

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Olympics Opening Ceremony Empty
PostSubject: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Courtesy of Macedonian State Television we can watch the Olympic Opening Ceremony live here through this video box on Machine Nation. It starts at 13:00 our time.

Watch live video from Macedonian TV Channels on Justin.tv
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm

That gives us 25 minutes to make sangwiches and tea. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 2:55 pm

Commentary in German? Doesn't bother me but does anybody else find it annoying?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 3:00 pm

The stadium has just exploded
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 3:25 pm

Fairly spectacular so far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 4:09 pm

Indeed, I want to take up tai chi now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 4:11 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
Commentary in German? Doesn't bother me but does anybody else find it annoying?

Was the best I could do - RTE don't let you embed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 4:12 pm

I have to say I thought the opening pageant was absolutely fantastic and the Chinese people should be very proud of themselves for putting it on. I think during a ceremony like this you must give the people the limelight and refrain from criticism of many other areas of their country.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 4:22 pm

I was watching Jon Sopel on BBC News 24 reporting from just outside the stadium and when he got them to swing the camera around to show the military police line that had just moved in, the picture just vanished.
"We seem to have lost...eh..... Jon... there"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 4:52 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
I was watching Jon Sopel on BBC News 24 reporting from just outside the stadium and when he got them to swing the camera around to show the military police line that had just moved in, the picture just vanished.

The military police in China are absolutely fucking terrifying - and I can say this from (not personal but observational) experience.

I didn't watch the ceremony. I'm mortified that Brian Cowen got 9,000 postcards from Amnesty calling on him to make a public statement calling on China to end the death penalty, end 're-education through labour', lift the internet ban and release those in prison for using the Internet, allow independent observers into Tibet and allow peaceful human rights action in the country and still he couldn't bring himself to the level of George Bush.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Kate P wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

The military police in China are absolutely fucking terrifying - and I can say this from (not personal but observational) experience.

I didn't watch the ceremony. I'm mortified that Brian Cowen got 9,000 postcards from Amnesty calling on him to make a public statement calling on China to end the death penalty, end 're-education through labour', lift the internet ban and release those in prison for using the Internet, allow independent observers into Tibet and allow peaceful human rights action in the country and still he couldn't bring himself to the level of George Bush.

I imagine they wouldn't take too much lip.

Go raibh maith agat as ucht d'fháiltiú ar ais Kate P.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 5:08 pm

Damn I missed it Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 5:08 pm

I'd say they are pretty scary. Then again I find that the police in alot of countries can be fairly scary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 5:42 pm

We have 51 athletes and the BBC wish us all the best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 5:57 pm

johnfás wrote:
I'd say they are pretty scary. Then again I find that the police in alot of countries can be fairly scary.

I found the Chinese police very "purposeful" when I was in China 2 months ago. I got them impression that they could cut up pretty rough if they were pissed off at you for some reason. So I didn't do anything to piss them off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 6:12 pm

That was a wise move, Slim Buddha.

I got the impression that it would be spectacularly easy to piss them off... certainly from watching the way they treated other people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 6:52 pm

Was it worth $100,000,000 for the opening ceremony?

Or $40.000,000,000 on the games themselves? Source:BBc News
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 7:04 pm

Now there is a boy running around the top of the stadium on a wire with the torch.

I wonder what America thinks of this show. Outdisneyed by China
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 7:10 pm

There's no business like show business
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 7:13 pm

Could the Chinese censor Sue barker and Colin Jackson? please
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 9:57 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

I wonder what America thinks of this show. Outdisneyed by China

Yeah, they really put on a spectacular, well-choreographed and dramatic show. London 2012 has some act to follow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 12:15 am

I thought it was SEPCTACULAR!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 7:22 pm

cookiemonster wrote:

Is that typo intentional, cookie? Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 9:25 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

Is that typo intentional, cookie? Smile

No, I may have been drinking. Mmmmm, wine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 9:48 pm

Beautiful ceremony, but nationalist and not universal at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Olympics Opening Ceremony   Olympics Opening Ceremony Empty

Back to top Go down

Olympics Opening Ceremony
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next