Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Ads that really annoy me

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Ads that really annoy me Empty
PostSubject: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 12:10 am

Have we done this yet?

I absolutely hate ads that celebrate someone going out of business. Some pizza producer ran a series of ads lately with the tagline 'It's closing time for pizzarias', as if we should be happy that people that are losing their jobs. The man that was going out of business in those ads was pitiful to behold. And it's the same with the 'bankers' ad. Are bankers that loathed that we should revel in their imminent unemployment? It goes without saying that the boyos running the ads are bankers themselves.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 12:24 am

905 wrote:
Have we done this yet?

I absolutely hate ads that celebrate someone going out of business. Some pizza producer ran a series of ads lately with the tagline 'It's closing time for pizzarias', as if we should be happy that people that are losing their jobs. The man that was going out of business in those ads was pitiful to behold. And it's the same with the 'bankers' ad. Are bankers that loathed that we should revel in their imminent unemployment? It goes without saying that the boyos running the ads are bankers themselves.

I hate the medical "education" ads paid for by pharma firms that tell us to go to the doctor if we have a twinge or any slight temporary malfunction so that we can buy their expensive and virtually useless prescription drugs.

Just watched a good "Dispatches" on C4 on the anticervical cancer jab that saved Merck's shareholders from a bad year.
Here's is their ad which won an "Oscar for pharmaceutical ads" Rolling Eyes

Last edited by cactus flower on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 12:26 am

And a spoof gardasil ad...

" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen >
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 12:48 am

Danone Actimel. If your kids are cold and wet buy them a fucking jacket. If they are too hot they can take the bloody thing off. A yoghurt isn't going to stop you getting wet. I loved studying marketing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 1:17 am

I don't watch telly - but my favourite worst ad was in an Oprah magazine; double page, 2/3 picture of a number of women of colour - working class, all laughing while having a do-it-yourself girlie hairdo day, 1/3 page of copy saying how sometimes headaches strike when you don't want them to interfere with your life.

Turn over the page to another double page of contra-indications in such tiny print, you'd think it was written by ants to squeeze it all in. God, there are times when I love the Yanks.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 2:39 am

The Kenko coffee ad(s) on Newstalk. Horrendous.

The Guinness ad(s) on Newstalk. Really awful.

And any ads that follow the following script:

Attempted humourous setup
Product feature sell
Attempted humourous punchline
Warnings and regulations.

Oh boring.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 2:55 am

Jaysus I can't think of any - I think my brain has learned to filter out all the bad ones now as I only remember all the good ones.

Do any of ye remember the ad for a gossip magazine called (I think) 'Love It'? It had a song which went

dontcha just love it
this is the best job that I've ever had (cue old lady as pole dancer)
(dontcha just love it)

my fairy tale wedding has just gone bad (wife to be discovers husband is a cross dresser)
(dontcha just love it)

Any one of those could be my baby's dad (sung by woman with buggy pointing at two football teams playing on a pitch)
(dontcha just love it)

??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 3:07 am

The radio ad for the new Irish Times website bugs me so much that I turn off the radio whenever I hear it.
It features a man talking about doing two things at once and he starts eating a cake. The really annoying thing is that he chews with his mouth open, which is not only very rude, but also one of those things that makes me want to go on a rampage with a sub-machine gun.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 3:37 am

Oh yeh ! just remembered. The Aer Lingus ad with the subliminal audio cuts : skirt, low cut top, shopping, vodka and lime , bacardi and coke , ad is crap also.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 2:59 pm

The sad pedestrian ads for holidays in wet Ireland in which a man tells us that if we take a holiday in Ireland we don't have to go to an airport. By the end of the ads you don't want to take a holiday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 3:01 pm

The current ad about women not taking lifts from boys run by the Road Safety Authority. I've contemplated complaining about it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 1:30 am

AfricanDave wrote:
The radio ad for the new Irish Times website bugs me so much that I turn off the radio whenever I hear it.
It features a man talking about doing two things at once and he starts eating a cake. The really annoying thing is that he chews with his mouth open, which is not only very rude, but also one of those things that makes me want to go on a rampage with a sub-machine gun.

You're right - it's awful rubbish. Completely not the Irish Times.

In my TV watching days, I always hated those smiley women who sold cleaning products; Anti-bacterial floor cleaner, hob-scourer and tap-shiner do not improve your sex life, make your marriage happier or your children less likely to be anti-social gurriers, it does not make your neighbours jealous and does not make your teeth sparklier than normal. That those ads are now done by men in drag doesn't make them any more credible - strangely.

Those ads are clearly made by men who live with Stepford wives or their mothers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 2:11 am

I just remembered another really annoying radio ad - The man who does the ad for myhome.ie has the most annoying voice I've ever heard. I consider listening to that man to be akin to listening to someone running their nails down a blackboard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 2:18 am

Don Wycherly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 2:19 am

Is that his name?
Don't tell me he's a good friend of yours and I've gone and hurt your feelings....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 2:24 am

Ads that really annoy me Don_wycherly

Not at all, A-D! He's a pretty well known Irish actor - starred in Bachelor's Walk.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 2:26 am

Kate's Avatar is on the left .. that's favouritism now, I knew it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 2:26 am

I remember that guy. He looks like a teacher I had in school. Although I suppose my teacher probably looks 10 years older now.
He doesn't have such an annoying voice in Bachelor's Walk, but on that ad he really gets on my nerves
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 2:28 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Kate's Avatar is on the left .. that's favouritism now, I knew it.

Smartass, Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ads that really annoy me   Ads that really annoy me Empty

Back to top Go down

Ads that really annoy me
Page 1 of 1