Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

MediaBite Interview with Lara Marlowe

Go down 
AuthorMessage

MediaBite Interview with Lara Marlowe Empty
PostSubject: MediaBite Interview with Lara Marlowe   MediaBite Interview with Lara Marlowe EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:39 pm

The Irish Time's foreign correspondent Lara Marlowe who is based in Paris has been to Iraq more than 20 times almost always as an unembedded journalist. In this interview she gives her views on the situaiton in Iraq and discusses media coverage of the war. The concluding analysis by MediaBite argues that even for an independent reporter Like Marlowe it is still clearly very difficult working within the mainstream media to resist or avoid the dominant thinking around this issue - and so she can describe the war as a 'criminal blunder' or 'criminal mistake', for example - surely oxymorons? It's a good read:

http://www.mediabite.org/article_Route-Irish-Times---Part-1_197035261.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MediaBite Interview with Lara Marlowe   MediaBite Interview with Lara Marlowe EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:58 pm

Marlowe on Iran:

MediaBite: Iran is obviously coming up a lot these days, have you come across any evidence that Iran is supplying weapons or training to Iraqi resistance fighters?

LaraMarlowe: I lived in Lebanon for eight years and the Iranians helped create Hezbollah in Lebanon. When I interviewed the Iranian ambassador in Baghdad, he said 'we support all legitimate resistance movements'. And they believe that the occupation is illegal. So it follows that they may be supplying weapons and training. But you must also consider that the US lied about Saddam Hussein's inexistent Weapons of Mass Destruction. Their "intelligence" on Iraq cannot be considered credible, if for no other reason because of their past record.

Added to the fact that Iran is the other regional player, there is no doubt influence there. It was telling that when President Ahmadinejad visited Iraq on March 1st. He was greeted with kisses from almost every member of the Iraqi government. The Shia in Iran have strong ties to Iran, ties that the US will never have no matter what they do. But the Shia are also independent and nationalist. They too are concerned about overbearing Iranian influence.

US accusations that Iran is supplying arms to Iraqi insurgents are questionable. I remember when in the 1980s the US was supporting the Contra rebels against the elected Sandinista government in Nicaragua, they claimed that Cuba was supplying weapons to the Sandinistas, and thus fit that clandestine war in with the greater war against communism. There was a series of Doonesbury cartoons at the time poking fun at these claims, with a US officer using a pointer to explain grainy black and white satellite pictures that allegedy showed a "Cuban-style pizza". At the moment, everything in Iraq is "Iranian-backed", or "Iranian-trained" or "Iranian-financed".

It seems when 'we' are supplying the arms, for instance to the Contras in Nicaragua or to the Mujahideen in Afghanistan against the Russians, its okay, but when anyone else does it, it becomes government-sponsored international terrorism.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MediaBite Interview with Lara Marlowe   MediaBite Interview with Lara Marlowe EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 10:54 pm

Quote :
It is much worse than it was in the aftermath of the bombardment. During the bombardment it was obviously pretty grim, with explosions happening all the time, but in May 2003 when George Bush declared 'Mission Accomplished', things were chaotic, there was looting and arson and those sorts of things going on. Despite this many people were still quite hopeful. Initially there was a huge influx of consumer goods, in Karada, which is a main shopping area, there were thousands of refrigerators and stoves and all kinds of appliances and toys out on the pavement. There was also a huge influx of cars - everyone was driving new cars. There was a lot of food in the markets. Compared to then it's much worse now.

Electricity is a barometer of living conditions in Baghdad. During and after the bombardment people were not getting a lot of electricity, perhaps 3 to 4 hours a day. Now it's only 1 hour a day. Nothing has been rebuilt; there are ruins on every city block - both from the bombardment in 2003 and the fighting that has occurred since then. The telephones don't work, it can take hours to get through and even then you only have a one in ten or twenty chance of getting through to the number. The traffic jams are horrendous, as traffic is regularly stopped for military convoys. Iraqi and US personalities moving around in armoured 4x4 convoys literally push everyone else off the road. So it can take hours to go two or three kilometres.
Everything is horribly expensive and unemployment is very high. I haven't seen any realistic estimates, but I would say unemployment is running at 40-50%. Practically everyone I met asked me if I could get them a job. The general atmosphere is not pleasant; I think I called it 'rip-off-Iraq' in one of my stories. It is a sort of dog eat dog, survival of the fittest atmosphere - a very, very hard life for the people there. Corruption is also rampant; people are constantly forced to pay bribes.

Very interesting picture of Iraq: surely this US style democratisation is a wonderful thing. The only things that seems to work are the pumps pumping the oil out of the country.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MediaBite Interview with Lara Marlowe   MediaBite Interview with Lara Marlowe Empty

Back to top Go down

MediaBite Interview with Lara Marlowe
Page 1 of 1