Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Real Time Encounters of Virtual People

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Real Time Encounters of Virtual People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 1:25 am

Maybe we should have an MN night sometime.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 1:46 am

It's not a bad idea.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 2:04 am

Kate P wrote:
We're having an alien one soon aren't we? We could all pick alien names and change ourselves to those it'll be great.

No MN party for me other than that above - I couldn't stand real nights out with literary characters like yourselves - it'd only remind me of all the novels ruined for me by the films made of them (the LOTR was about the only satisfactory one, though I have real issues with most of the elves and elvishness except Legless. The Paths of the Dead was shite too Mad )

Plus, online parties allow you to avoid hangovers, dancing, the risk of STDs, experiencing a nightful of the reek of BO/linx, a crowded bar (in a Dublin4ish location), crowded and inaccessible toilets, loud music that wrecks conversation, a late night, fish and chips at Burdock's on the way home or a kebab on Dame Street...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 2:14 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Kate P wrote:
We're having an alien one soon aren't we? We could all pick alien names and change ourselves to those it'll be great.

No MN party for me other than that above - I couldn't stand real nights out with literary characters like yourselves - it'd only remind me of all the novels ruined for me by the films made of them (the LOTR was about the only satisfactory one, though I have real issues with most of the elves and elvishness except Legless. The Paths of the Dead was shite too Mad )

Plus, online parties allow you to avoid hangovers, dancing, the risk of STDs, experiencing a nightful of the reek of BO/linx, a crowded bar (in a Dublin4ish location), crowded and inaccessible toilets, loud music that wrecks conversation, a late night, fish and chips at Burdock's on the way home or a kebab on Dame Street...

Razz Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 2:29 am

Quote :
The Paths of the Dead was shite too

So true. So true. The description in the book was a million times better than the green ghosties in the film.

Overall, the best of the three films was the first - I was sufficiently enthused that I went home after watching it and reread the trilogy that night. The other two films mostly annoyed me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 2:41 am

ibis wrote:
Quote :
The Paths of the Dead was shite too

So true. So true. The description in the book was a million times better than the green ghosties in the film.

Overall, the best of the three films was the first - I was sufficiently enthused that I went home after watching it and reread the trilogy that night. The other two films mostly annoyed me.
It was too Sinbad the Sailory. I imagined it very differently in my imagination - real, maimed criminals lumped together in a dark and unholy crowd behind the noble Dunedain who were an awful loss from the whole thing.

I saw the first one seven times in the cinema, the second one three times and the last one once and I read the trilogy twice after it and the Silmarillion along with it but skipped the Hobbit. Divulgence of facts like this is one reason why people have anonymity on the internet.

P.S.
The Usher at the cinema (with whom I had my pitcher taken eventually) told me that I shouldn't be ashamed because two chicks had seen it fourteen times. If I'd met them maybe I'd be a happily married bigot now in Donegal ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 10:13 am

How about splitting this into a "real time encounters" thread from WBS's post? any objections?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 10:50 am

cactus flower wrote:
How about splitting this into a "real time encounters" thread from WBS's post? any objections?
Are you happy to do that cactus?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 11:37 am

I am! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 6:10 pm

bounce bump
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 8:32 pm

I have to say I am not sure about this. If I do meet you guys nobody is to tell my boss, wife or girlfriend ok?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 12:45 am

Or mine.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 12:48 am

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
I have to say I am not sure about this. If I do meet you guys nobody is to tell my boss, wife or girlfriend ok?

I'd need a week off to think of an excuse. Otherwise I would have to have the 'weird debate' .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 1:55 am

I don't know.

As dougal said, never meet your heroes, you'll only be disappointed.

It would have to be alcohol free though, I'm taking a break from the booze.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 1:56 am

I've been thinking about what we could call these encounters and I thought that we could call them Shymalans. Think about it, they would be MNights, just like M Night Shymalan-the director!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 2:02 am

MN Nights - that's a good name your man has. He has a new film out this week too. I must go see it in the Limerick Omniplex at half eight second row from the ..

Riadach you're right about meeting the heroes - it'd be like the end of the novel for me to see and hear people in reality, the very end. What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 2:05 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
MN Nights - that's a good name your man has. He has a new film out this week too. I must go see it in the Limerick Omniplex at half eight second row from the ..

Riadach you're right about meeting the heroes - it'd be like the end of the novel for me to see and hear people in reality, the very end. What a Face

It would be weird, wouldn't it? Some people would look nothing like you'd imagine and others would be different in real life than on the web. It'd be odd, but worth it in a way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 11:53 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

The fact that I am several different people would boost the numbers anyway. Very Happy Smile Surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 12:20 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

The fact that I am several different people would boost the numbers anyway. Very Happy Smile Surprised

You definitely get to use the royal plural then Cactus -the Queen of MN if anyone is at any rate!

I think it might spoil the atmosphere - and it would definitely change the dynamics of the site. Communication between those who knew each other would change as would communication between those who have met and those who have not. That sometimes apparent on p.ie

But I'd be interested to hear how you all get on if you do meet up. Would it be a bun fight or a love-in? An alternative might be to have 'guess what x looks like' threads from time to time. Is that really you Riadach, btw?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Do I have to do my 'I'm not Eddie Lenihan' disclaimer again?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Aragon wrote:

You definitely get to use the royal plural then Cactus -the Queen of MN if anyone is at any rate!

Ah now, I think riadach has a claim to that throne as well!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 4:13 pm

Pléascfaidh mé, pléascfaidh mé!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 4:15 pm

riadach wrote:
Pléascfaidh mé, pléascfaidh mé!

Go díreach, riadach!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Real Time Encounters of Virtual People   Real Time Encounters of Virtual People Empty

Back to top Go down

Real Time Encounters of Virtual People
Page 1 of 1