Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 2:35 am

BuachaillBeo wrote:

ach = but usually, but it has another use -
to do 'only' in Irish, you make the verb negative and put 'ach' after it, so -

So then, to say 'I was only looking'
Would that be 'Ní raibh me ach ag feach....' ?

Last edited by EvotingMachine0197 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 2:36 am

Thanks Seathrún - that word 'ach' really ties the two halves of the first one toghether doesn't it? I think I was always missing those words in school.

What would ye think of getting some simple songs together over the course of a year or so as another project (poor Seathrún's just back and he's been given work left right and centre (which reminds me of a joke)) - I'm interested in it as a way of learning languages - learning songs with the grammar in them. Rote = repetition = easy listening...

BuachaillBeo wrote:
I think I've been poxy enough to be able to get away with it long enough to usually know what way sounds better in my head. You might be able to use ithim for both, I'm just going by what sounds more appropriate to me
Thanks for that post. When you're able to judge by listening in your head then that's language well and truly in you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 2:42 am

BuachaillBeo wrote:

tógann sé = he takes
ní thógann sé = he doesn't take
ní thógann sé ach = he only takes
That's not 'It takes me an hour to get to work' is it? Is the one used there 'Caith'?

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
There is a natural rhyme with the prepositions and I did say limited to those and specific verbs. Altogether 150 words in a about twelve rhymes with a bit of humour gets every body participating. Can you remember any nursery rhymes. If so, why?
Trup trup a capailín ar an mbothar, siúl go mall agus ***** go ****** as go brach go barr Bhinn Eadair.

Tá tír na nóg ar cúl an tí tír alainn trí na cheile...

Why can I remember? Repetition ?? The music of the nursery rhyme?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 2:42 am

Seo sampla of a song for practicing verbs in the past tense

"An raibh tú ar an Charraig?" (Bhí, Ní raibh)
"An bhfaca tú mo ghrá?" ( Chonaic (le fear eile), Ní fhaca)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 2:55 am

Quote :
So then, to say 'I was only looking'
Would that be 'Ní raibh me ach ag feach....' ?

Well each verb has it's form of what it is after 'ag'... there's different patterns and that. In this case -
féach - to look
ag féachaint - looking

You're right with the point -
Ní raibh mé ach ag féachaint!
I was only looking!

Probably a handy line to have Razz

Quote :
That's not 'It takes me an hour to get to work' is it? Is the one used there 'Caith'?
ya caith would be more suitable, I'd imagine

tóg - to take
it'd be used when it's like, someone takes something from someone else, or he took some sweets and the like. When you think of it in this sense you'd realise it's probably not the best verb to use for your sentence above... like something's not literally taking an hour from you, it's more that you're spending an hour to get to work.

tóg is also the verb 'to build', by the way
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 3:09 am

God that was a guess with the 'caith' :~) I tried to get into the habit of reading 'Lá' while it was going but wasn't consistent. Is Foinse any good? I'm very lazy though...

tóg is build too - I love the way there are key verbs in a language - in english it's get, come, turn, have, go and similarly in Irish I'd swear where they have tons of meanings instead of using new verbs (turn up/down/into etc.). The human being is a lazy article down deep I tell ya.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 3:17 am

Lads fair dues to ye that was a good session. Níl aon fhios agam ar bith cad atá a rá agam fós, áfach.

Slán go foill! Oiche mhaith...
go **** ??
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 12:59 pm

I am 10 years old
Tá mé deich bliana d'aois / Tá deich bliana d'aois agam ?

I am only 10 years old

Níl mé ach deich bliana d'aois ? An eá ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 3:30 pm

Ah, cuimhní...léigh anois go cúramach, na scrúdpáipéir, na treoracha agus na ceisteanna a ghabhann le chuid A. BIíííííííííííííp!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Ní thuigim Bíp. Cad é then ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 3:40 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

Is bíp focail onomataipéach, MaisínToghchánLeictreonach0197.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 3:45 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

I'ts a BEEP sound, right?

Agus mó ainm as Gaeilge. MTL0197. Seo é an groovy ar fad. Laughing Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 3:48 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

I'ts a BEEP sound, right?

Go díreach, MTL0197!

Quote :
Agus mó ainm as Gaeilge. MTL0197. Seo é an groovy ar fad. Laughing Cool

Oh cinnte, cinnte. Is teanga álainn í!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 4:08 pm

Is maith liom bainne fuar. Bím always ag ól bainne.

Bainne agus Snickers bars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 4:12 pm

Is maith liom bainne fuar. Bím always ag ól bainne.

Caithfidh mé gan aontú leat. Is fuath liom bainne mar deoch. I mo thuarimse, tá sé níos fearr le Weetabix nó Cornflakes nó, ar ndoigh, cupán tae blasta!

Oh, tá "always", i gconái as Gaeilge.

Quote :
Bainne agus Snickers bars.

Snickers? Mmm, is breá liom Snickers, tá sé blasta go leor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 4:55 pm

Is breá liom Catch bars - mmmm rice agus shocoláide agus rudaí eile - mmm Catch bars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 10:53 pm

Is breá liom Catch bars freisin agus is fuath liom bainne mar deoch freisin (agus tá bainne, cosúil le ghach uile rud níos ghránna le Weetabix - ick!). Is fearr liom (faoi láthair) White Kinder Bueno (Páistí Bueno Bán!) agus beagáinín tropical juice le fizzy water. Nó liomonáid homemade.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 11:06 pm

Kate P wrote:
Is breá liom Catch bars freisin agus is fuath liom bainne mar deoch freisin (agus tá bainne, cosúil le ghach uile rud níos ghránna le Weetabix - ick!). Is fearr liom (faoi láthair) White Kinder Bueno (Páistí Bueno Bán!) agus beagáinín tropical juice le fizzy water. Nó liomonáid homemade.
Bím ag ithe 10 nó 20 Catch bars gach lá.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 11:11 pm

Ní chreidim thú....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 11:13 pm

Tá. Is aoibhinn liom Catch bars. yumm yummm Tá siad cruinsíoch agus crispíocha (?)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 11:15 pm

An itheann tú rud éigin eile i rith an lae ach an méid sin Catch bars?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 11:58 pm

Sea. Cúpla úlanna i rith an lae. Ta ort úlanna dearg a ithe ó am go h-am.

Catch bars : tá taifi istigh san Catch bars mmm

* burp *
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 12:04 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Sea. Cúpla úlanna i rith an lae. Ta ort úlanna dearg a ithe ó am go h-am.

Catch bars : tá taifi istigh san Catch bars mmm

* burp *

An Catch bar...

Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 541255848_7e9e267fc7

Tá sé ar nós catnip le Reachtaire.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 08, 2008 11:28 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
God that was a guess with the 'caith' :~) I tried to get into the habit of reading 'Lá' while it was going but wasn't consistent. Is Foinse any good? I'm very lazy though...

You can use tóg in that context as well. Thóg sé dhá uair orm m'obair bhaile a dhéanamh aréir.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 12:56 am

Riadach, posted this earlier

Quote :
I am 10 years old
Tá mé deich bliana d'aois / Tá deich bliana d'aois agam ?

I am only 10 years old

Níl mé ach deich bliana d'aois ? An eá ?

Is the sentence correct?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Fóram na Gaeilge :: Tús Maith-
Jump to: