Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

On this day 26 May in Irish History

Go down 
AuthorMessage

On this day 26 May in Irish History Empty
PostSubject: On this day 26 May in Irish History   On this day 26 May in Irish History EmptyTue May 27, 2008 12:03 am

26 May 1315: Edward de Bruce (the brother of Robert de Bruce of Scotland) and his fleet (estimated at in excess of 6,000 men) landed on the Irish coast at points at and between Olderfleet Castle at Larne and Glendrum on the north east coast of Ireland. This was the start of his ultimately futile bid to seize Ireland from the English – an attempt that was to cause much bloodshed and suffering here for three long years.

26 May 1798: United Irishmen defeated at Battle of Tara, Co Meath by the British Army. This broke the back of the Rising in County. The British, while relatively few in numbers (700 to 4,000), were much better armed and trained and a more cohesive force.
Outbreak of the Rising in County Wexford. Clash of arms at Boolavogue between a small band of insurgents under Fr John Murphy and a military patrol. That evening groups of men and women began to attack the houses of loyalists, especially those where arms were assumed to be stored. These attacks took place over a wide swath of country but all within the Blackwater/Ballygarrett/Newtownbarry triangle.

26 May 1868: Execution of John Barrett (Fenian). He was sentenced to death for his alleged part in the Clerkenwell Explosion even though he was in Glasgow at the time. The sentence was carried out before a crowd of some 2,000 and was the last public execution in England.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 26 May in Irish History   On this day 26 May in Irish History EmptyTue May 27, 2008 12:20 am

Brandubh, apologies if you happen to have mentioned this elsewhere already but could you recommend a good book on the 1798 Rising? Sorry to sound like a clod, but I have enjoyed your postings on Irish history and would like to update my knowledge of the '98 Rising. I only have my history books from aeons ago here, nothing wrong with them, but am sure academia has come up with new research / ideas since then. Go raibh maith agat!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 26 May in Irish History   On this day 26 May in Irish History EmptyTue May 27, 2008 12:44 am

Atticus wrote:
Brandubh, apologies if you happen to have mentioned this elsewhere already but could you recommend a good book on the 1798 Rising? Sorry to sound like a clod, but I have enjoyed your postings on Irish history and would like to update my knowledge of the '98 Rising. I only have my history books from aeons ago here, nothing wrong with them, but am sure academia has come up with new research / ideas since then. Go raibh maith agat!

Fellowship of Freedom:The United Irishmen and 1798 by Kevin Wheelan

That's a good starting point.

But Wolfe Tone's Diary is a an excellent read - though he was in France for most of 1798 so his account is more about his own part in the lead up to the Rising as seen from abroad as he drummed up French military support.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On this day 26 May in Irish History   On this day 26 May in Irish History Empty

Back to top Go down

On this day 26 May in Irish History
Page 1 of 1