Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Summer Concert Season

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 08, 2008 9:59 am

Radiohead last night at Malahide Castle.

The band were great, the lighting was excellent and the camera work was superb - the best I've ever seen. There were only two tunes from my fave album (Hail to the Thief) and the first was the victim of some peculiar sound problem. But the set was brilliant and Thom Yorke really has such a beautiful, haunting voice.

All that said, I'm kind of sorry I went. I've been trying to figure out why and I think it's because my Radiohead-time is late at night and on my own. So the atmosphere was all wrong. The show should have started at midnight and there should have been no one else there but me. Next time I'll pay the outrageous) tenner for parking and lie under a tree to listen to them all by myself. That doesn't take from the fact that it was a terrific performance, though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 8:00 am

Looking forward to Leonard Cohen on Saturday.

Last night was an unexpected bonus in the Summer Concert series - we were going in to vote and to do that we pass a Church. Inside was a Mennonite Choir from the US. We popped in for a listen and were transported with delight. They were so good.

During the interval we voted, then back for Nearer my God to Thee!

Fabulous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 9:33 am

Serendipity, He3.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 10:10 am

Helium Three wrote:
Very Happy If we were still running the post of the month I'd fastrack that one. I have most of his music but have never seen him. I wonder are there tickets? O the seats are sold out on ebay - is it true it's hundreds of Euros to get one now, my God. Damien Rice is with him. I hope it gets recorded...

Do you have any opinion on Joni Mitchell Heliium Three? I was introduced to the music of both together and haven't looked back since...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 6:46 pm

Kate P wrote:
Serendipity, He3.

Yes Kate, and there is a lot of it around.

Thanks Auditor, and I agree on Joni M - at the moment I am listening to another Canadian, Feist, who my children have introduced me to.

And tonight - live in Kilmainham (!) one L Cohen Esq.

Happy days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 6:55 pm

Did you mention on another thread the other day He3 that it was your birthday on Thursday? I didn't have time to reply at the time - so belated best wishes if that's the case. And enjoy Leonard Cohen.

This might get you in the mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ61su9H5RU
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 7:01 pm

Thank you Kate. It was the happiest of them all.

As an irredeemable egotist I knew that Lisbon was doomed once I heard that Bertie had nominated my birthday as polling day Wink .

That's serendipity for you!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 1:29 am

Helium Three wrote:
Thank you Kate. It was the happiest of them all.

As an irredeemable egotist I knew that Lisbon was doomed once I heard that Bertie had nominated my birthday as polling day Wink .

That's serendipity for you!

Here's a cake combining matters European with the momentous occasion of your birthday, you're a near birthday-sake of the ECB!

The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 172x135

Lá breithlá shona duit!

Herzlichen Glueckwunsch zum Geburtstag!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 12:54 pm

That is a lovely picture. Imagine having a birthday bash for a bank! The world is truly a wondrous place.

Leonard Cohen referred to the Lisbon referendum last night.

As we saw from the vote last week, Ireland continues to bewilder the world as you shape your destiny in this vale of tears. And at the risk of offending any atheists in the audience, God bless you.

Leonard Cohen
Royal Hospital Kilmainham,
Saturday June 14th.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 12:57 pm

Are his politics a mystery? He can be satirical, that's all I know but as a Buddhist he's probably got no politics..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 1:09 pm

Democracy is coming to the USA has lyrics that might point in a certain direction Auditor. I will see if I can find a link.

The performance was sublime.

edit - Found the words here
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 1:18 pm

Leonard Cohen wrote:
I'm sentimental, if you know what I mean
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
And I'm neither left or right
I'm just staying home tonight,
getting lost in that hopeless little screen.
But I'm stubborn as those garbage bags
that Time cannot decay,
I'm junk but I'm still holding up
this little wild bouquet:
Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.

Hang on - I'll just dig up another one ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 1:23 pm

Leonard Cohen wrote:

The rain falls down on last year's man,
that's a jew's harp on the table,
that's a crayon in his hand.
And the corners of the blueprint are ruined since they rolled
far past the stems of thumbtacks
that still throw shadows on the wood.

And the skylight is like skin for a drum I'll never mend
and all the rain falls down amen
on the works of last year's man.

I met a lady, she was playing with her soldiers in the dark
oh one by one she had to tell them
that her name was Joan of Arc.
I was in that army, yes I stayed a little while;
I want to thank you, Joan of Arc,
for treating me so well.
And though I wear a uniform I was not born to fight;
all these wounded boys you lie beside,
goodnight, my friends, goodnight.

I came upon a wedding that old families had contrived;
Bethlehem the bridegroom,
Babylon the bride.
Great Babylon was naked, oh she stood there trembling for me,
and Bethlehem inflamed us both
like the shy one at some orgy.
And when we fell together all our flesh was like a veil
that I had to draw aside to see
the serpent eat its tail.

Some women wait for Jesus, and some women wait for Cain
so I hang upon my altar
and I hoist my axe again.
And I take the one who finds me back to where it all began
when Jesus was the honeymoon
and Cain was just the man.
And we read from pleasant Bibles that are bound in blood and skin
that the wilderness is gathering
all its children back again.

The rain falls down on last year's man,
an hour has gone by
and he has not moved his hand.
But everything will happen if he only gives the word;
the lovers will rise up
and the mountains touch the ground.

But the skylight is like skin for a drum I'll never mend
and all the rain falls down amen
on the works of last year's man.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 5:53 pm

the works of last year's man.

Apposite. Thank you Auditor.

Last edited by Helium Three on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 8:51 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Helium Three wrote:
Very Happy If we were still running the post of the month I'd fastrack that one. I have most of his music but have never seen him. I wonder are there tickets? O the seats are sold out on ebay - is it true it's hundreds of Euros to get one now, my God. Damien Rice is with him. I hope it gets recorded...

Do you have any opinion on Joni Mitchell Heliium Three? I was introduced to the music of both together and haven't looked back since...

I have an opinion on Joni Mitchell, which is a very good one. One of the best guitar players I've ever heard, apart from anything else.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 2:17 am

cactus flower wrote:
I have an opinion on Joni Mitchell, which is a very good one. One of the best guitar players I've ever heard, apart from anything else.
O yeah ! She uses odd, open tunings - if you watch her she'll often just pick the open strings. She gets a beautiful sound too.

Don't forget she's a fair auld piano player as well (and mandolin and dulcimer and )

Here she is nearly 40 years ago ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLNF32bKed0
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 3:27 am

Tom Waits - the best night of my life bar none.

I had a front row seat for the bluesiest, quirkiest, funkiest, sexiest musical experience ever.

He got a standing ovation before he started, half a dozen throughout the performance at least - everything was stunning, even the standards - Tom Traubert's Blues was beautiful, and then later God's Away On Business was a rocker. And he performed, told stories...

Wow, the man is amazing. I'm not sure I'll ever get over it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 3:35 am

I really want to see Kraftwerk. I know I have a friend who likes them but I can't remember which one. And the tickets are fierce expensive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 7:27 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
I really want to see Kraftwerk. I know I have a friend who likes them but I can't remember which one. And the tickets are fierce expensive.

Saw them do this in concert in Berlin, Cookie. Brilliant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68C-r9kSLNE

then I saw Bill Bailey do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKtxg1D7vZw

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

So, so funny!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 1:37 am

Kate P wrote:
Tom Waits - the best night of my life bar none.

Sounds like it was a great night. I dont know much about Waits but he seems to have a really loyal following.

I have my tickets for Alanis Morissette in Marley Park in a couple of weeks. I'm not a huge fan of all her work, just Jagged Little Pill which is constantly played in my home.
I'm praying I get a good few songs from this amazing album.

Lenny Kravitz is the main act but I know zero about him. Chris loves him though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 1:57 am

Kate P wrote:
And he performed, told stories...

Wow, the man is amazing. I'm not sure I'll ever get over it.
Sounds amazing - I'm a fan but I'm never comfortable at concerts. Where was it on anyway? I've been listening to Frank's Wild Years recently and he's amazing alright - as you say he's not just a singer - he also acts in his songs. He has a bizarre imagination and a host of personae if his songs are anything to go by. I love the song "Step Right Up" from another album which is as political as he gets. He's a bum, a hobo, a drunk, a trailer-trash white southern bible belter, an ordinary joe, a soldier, a lover, a genius and more.

I see Johnny Keogh is back - where have you been Johnny Keogh ? Alanis Morisette is a bit of a classic artist too eh? Don't know what she's like as a performer though.

Was Radiohead fairly shite, Kate?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 3:40 am

No, radiohead was not fairly shite - it's wasn't them, it was me!

I didn't like being surrounded by talking teenagers and kids who had no interest in the gig itself (and yes, I know exactly how that makes me sound). I listen to radiohead on my own - because husband isn't a fan, and usually late and in the dark. The concert was all wrong; it was too bright, too many people, husband didn't really like it but was too polite to say so and tried really hard to enjoy it.

Waits on the other hand, I went to on my own. He played Step Right Up last night, the night before.

Tonight - or last night - I saw the Hothouse Flowers in Portlaoise and that was a great gig. Also had a look in on Tommy Fleming which is not really my thing but was nice for what it was. Tomorrow night it's Jack L - and hopefully Frankie Gavin and friends.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 5:03 am

Frankie Gavin, Michelle Lally, Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra, Anthony Kearns and Brian Kennedy - a very nice concert in Portlaoise this evening.

However the highlight of the weekend was Jack L tonight. Really a marvellous performer - gives of himself like Waits. Fabulous moment where he wandered around the venue singing without a microphone and with a mandolin (I think).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 2:03 am

Just danced my legs off to Toumast = wonderful Tuareg rock band. Songs about, apart from the usual, devils = oil men and freedom to be nomadic.
From Niger and Mali.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Has anyone been to an Elton John gig? Very tempted. He is playing in June in Thomond Park.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Summer Concert Season
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next