Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Broadband -why?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Broadband -why? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broadband -why?   Broadband -why? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 10:24 am

arnaudherve wrote:
Usually it happens like this:

Your problem is to access one of your home devices (computer or else) from the internet.

First, the name of the computer that you see is not an Internet feature. It is provided by your Windows operating system, and you should pay attention to it only for sharing files or sharing a printer in your home. It is not understood by the Internet.

Then, for proper IP addresses, there are in fact two networks.

192.168.X.X addresses are local addresses, ie addresses provided by your router, for the home network that it creates. It is a subsidiary network, not understood by the Internet.

Your DSL router, because it is the interface between the Internet and your local network, has in fact two addresses. For the devices of your home network it is seen as 192.168.1.1, which means it's the gateway to the wider network, ie the world wide web. For the Internet it is seen as a real IP address. Mine is 82.245.183.127 presently.

In fact when you do anything on the Internet, the Internet talks with your router, and doesn't understand there are several devices behind in your home.

Hence because there are two networks, one global and one local, there are two occasions in which IP addresses are given, 1 by your provider to your router, 2 by your router to your home device.

If you have understood that, I can proceed.
Yes that's very clear - please go on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broadband -why?   Broadband -why? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 11:47 am

When I'm away I can log onto my network remotely from my laptop. So I would need to rig up a video camera that would put images onto my base pc on a continuous basis. Is that what you are talking about Audi?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broadband -why?   Broadband -why? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:14 pm

cactus flower wrote:
When I'm away I can log onto my network remotely from my laptop. So I would need to rig up a video camera that would put images onto my base pc on a continuous basis. Is that what you are talking about Audi?
Yes that's the kind of thing cactus. I'd guess that your 'network' is your company's or the one you work for? If you can log onto the network remotely then it will be set up differently from a basic home set up which we're getting around to working out how to do here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broadband -why?   Broadband -why? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:54 pm

1 You need your provider to grant a permanent IP to your home. Read his pages to see how it is possible. If not, you may send the requests to another home, which received your former address.

2 You need to tell your router that this device must receive permanently this address. Only 192.168.1.1 is prempted by the router. For a home usually you will change the last digit only, from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.15 for instance.

Before you decide, you must know if your camera is évoluted enough to receive an IP address, or if it's the computer that will receive the address and then use the camera.

For printers for instance, both are possible, but with IP address (also called network capacities) it's more expansive.

There are other steps, which I will explain when I'm back from eating with my Mum.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broadband -why?   Broadband -why? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 1:10 pm

I'd forgotten about the router - oops. The router must have a static number or token that's related to the IP address dished out by the DHCP process to your home computer(s).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broadband -why?   Broadband -why? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 9:37 pm

I did not understand your last message.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broadband -why?   Broadband -why? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 9:50 pm

arnaudherve wrote:
I'm not sure I know what I'm saying myself What a Face Embarassed

In DHCP do you know if the router gets a static address? Is my router address always the same?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broadband -why?   Broadband -why? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 9:59 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
arnaudherve wrote:
I'm not sure I know what I'm saying myself What a Face Embarassed

In DHCP do you know if the router gets a static address? Is my router address always the same?

Hmm. I've never seen a setup in which the router (ie the DHCP server) doesn't have a static address. Theoretically, though, it shouldn't need one, because DHCP is a broadcast system.

I'm assuming that's the home network side we're talking about here...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broadband -why?   Broadband -why? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 11:10 pm

DHCP means the network gives an address to the device. Hence DHCP is random.

For your provider to give always the same address to your router, you must see its website help. Sometimes it's more expansive, sometimes free.

The router from your home networks point of view will almost always have the gateway address, 192.168.1.1, which is normal since your computers will use it as a gateway. But for your provider your router will not be a gateway, it will be a device, the one and only that answers the phone ever.

For your router to give always the same address to a computer, you must add settings in the router's interface.

Or if you wish, DHCP happens twice, when your provider gives your router an address, when your router gives your computer an address. Your computer cannot give your router an address.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broadband -why?   Broadband -why? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 12:05 am

Arnaud, just saw a report on large wild oysters all over the coast near Brest. Is this a real problem??
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Broadband -why?   Broadband -why? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 12:07 am

Ibis, I'm fairly sure my DSL connection to BT is dynamic. I was under the impression it was the default unless a static was requested ??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Broadband -why?   Broadband -why? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 12:13 am

Last time I heard about oysters it was because of a virus. No nothing special here for the moment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broadband -why?   Broadband -why? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Broadband -why?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2