Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Chief meets Il Duce

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The Chief meets Il Duce Empty
PostSubject: The Chief meets Il Duce   The Chief meets Il Duce EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 10:36 pm

Looking up 'on this day' file I keep I spotted this one.

[size=12]16 March 1939: Eamon De Valera met Mussolini in Rome. Count Ciano, the Italian Foreign Minister, hosted a luncheon in the Taoiseach’s honour.

Would love to have been a fly on the wall at that one!

Mussolini for all his faults and subsequent igmominious Downfall and roadside execution was IIRC a keen supporter of Irish Independence back in eary 1920's.

Given the flak that Dev has taken down through the years over his offering our condolences on Hitler's death its a wonder his critics havn't raised this one too in order to vilify him.

[/size]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Chief meets Il Duce   The Chief meets Il Duce EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 5:50 am

Didn't de valera base the make up of the seanad on the values of the corporate state?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Chief meets Il Duce   The Chief meets Il Duce EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 10:01 pm

riadach wrote:
Didn't de valera base the make up of the seanad on the values of the corporate state?

It was a fairly common political philosphy in the 1930's which had a degree of support esp in Catholic countries. I think it would have has more support within say FG than FF.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Chief meets Il Duce   The Chief meets Il Duce EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 10:06 pm

Brandubh wrote:

Given the flak that Dev has taken down through the years over his offering our condolences on Hitler's death its a wonder his critics havn't raised this one too in order to vilify him.
Is Mussolini seen as less of an evil force and more of a benign dictator gone astray though? I'm not one much for history but now this is interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Chief meets Il Duce   The Chief meets Il Duce EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 1:15 pm

The impression I got was that Hitler initially looked up to Mussolini, but when Hitler became more powerful he sort of led a somewhat unwilling Mussolini astray. At least he took on the Mafia.

I'd say Dev and Mussolini had plenty in common, but then half of Europe was thinking along the same lines. I think they were both children of their time but the whole process came to fruition with Hitler.

I don't think any of this answers the initial question of why Mussolini is never mentioned by Dev critics. Does anyone know of his reaction to Mussolini's death?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Chief meets Il Duce   The Chief meets Il Duce EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 10:01 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Brandubh wrote:

Is Mussolini seen as less of an evil force and more of a benign dictator gone astray though? I'm not one much for history but now this is interesting.

He still has quite a few admirers in Italy, esp in northern Italy and in the Northern Leauge.

When I was in the Lake Garda region in 2005 there was some Fascist grafetti around and a I heard a couple of people praise him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Chief meets Il Duce   The Chief meets Il Duce Empty

Back to top Go down

The Chief meets Il Duce
Page 1 of 1