Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Quitting Smoking

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Quitting Smoking - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 12:51 am

Why don't you give up something with him - like chocolate, and/or take on something with him - like the marathon? (says she, shamelessly pushing this thread. )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 12:55 am

Kate P wrote:
Why don't you give up something with him - like chocolate, and/or take on something with him - like the marathon? (says she, shamelessly pushing this thread. )

giving up something sounds like a good idea, but what??? hmm im too dependant on Chocolate and I need it, believe me!! You dont want to see me without choc... Maybe coffee....

Marathon! hah! I'm asthmatic! not a hope in hell I can run more then 2 miles. I collapse after that!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 12:56 am

I'm asthmatic too - don't let it stop you. There is no reason that you can't raise your fitness with the condition provided you take care of yourself. I competed at a fairly high level in sport with the condition and continue to exercise very regularly and keep myself fit.

The marathon is always on my mind but then I end up forgetting until about September when I suddenly remember and it is too late! You need about 16 weeks don't you Kate?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:00 am

ah but Johnfás I'm asthmatic and unfit. The collapsing happened when I was in the FCA and fairly fit! I'm worse now! It would take two years to prepare me for a marathon!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:03 am

Indeed, work on the fitness, don't blame the asthma - it is a significant hurdle but not a brick wall Very Happy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:05 am

well the asthma in this cold and damp weather dosent help! but i do need to work on the fitness. back to the swimming pool for me! Very Happy

so its decided I'm giving up Coffee to support him, will tyell him when he finishes D+D'in hes such a geek! Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:07 am

Swimming is a really excellent way of keeping yourself fit. I try to swim at least two mornings a week. My girlfriend used to be a really great swimmer but she went down hill with it from final year in college onwards being so busy and then working for the year after that. Being down in UL now for her Masters has been great for her as she can swim 5 days a week. She does nearly 2km every morning - I now fear getting into the pool with her Very Happy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:08 am

i get to swim once a week when I get a day off. but havent gone in ages, going to get back into this week. hopefully.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:16 am

spillercork wrote:
i get to swim once a week when I get a day off. but havent gone in ages, going to get back into this week. hopefully.

Time I got back into the swimming too. I've been distracted by little projects like vegetable growing and putting up a chicken shed. They take up time and energy, but they don't make you fit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:18 am

Does anybody enjoy walking in the mountains? It is probably my favourite weekly activity. I go for such a walk every Sunday afternoon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:25 am

johnfás wrote:
Does anybody enjoy walking in the mountains? It is probably my favourite weekly activity. I go for such a walk every Sunday afternoon.

I love hill walking, but I haven't done it much in the last few years. I was in the Galtees recently - gorgeous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:26 am

Galtees are lovely. Being in Dublin it tends to be the local heavily trodden paths most weekends for me!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:40 pm

johnfás wrote:
Galtees are lovely. Being in Dublin it tends to be the local heavily trodden paths most weekends for me!

i head up to pucks castle and the lead mines relatively often. its absolutely beautiful and a moderately steep walk that should get your blood circulating!!!

i've been hitting the gym every two days for the past while, trying to further build upper body strength and do some very long runs/swims/sessions on the cross trainer (approx hour each). may attempt a triathelon at some stage in the not to distant future.

on topic, i gave up about 3 years ago. it really only need honesty and determination. if you are 100% committed to giving up then you will give up. i "tried" to give up many times, but always in my head saw myself smoking when drinking. when i got the ultimatum from the g/f, then i quit on the spot and never looked back. i chewed (normal) gum for the first few weeks to address the cravings. good luck by the way. you can do it!

Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 1:01 am

well, I didnt know how much i needed coffee until today! id nearly kill for a cup but I havent had one all day! Very Happy Hopefully himself is doing as well! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 1:04 am

Spillercork I`d just like to welcome you to the site. Looking forward to getting to know you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 1:08 am

thanks anmajor! Very Happy Im looking foward to getting to know ye! Had fun posting away last night! And ye give good advice so I love you for machine nation peeps!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 1:16 am

I love your quote by the way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 1:19 am

thanks! I love Douglas Adams! He rocks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quitting Smoking   Quitting Smoking - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Quitting Smoking
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Welcome and Chat :: Chatter-
Jump to: