Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 5:57 pm

youngdan wrote:
The misconception is that politicians are public servants. They are just out for themselves.

What does that say about the people who voted for them?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:06 pm

Couldn't be bothered to stand themselves?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:24 pm

Anybody gone to the below site to check their carbon footprint?

www.change.ie

I came out at 4.61
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:25 pm

That is a good question Seinfeld. I believe people would rather accept a fantasy than accept an uncomfortable truth. Everyone knows that Enda and Cowen are just out for themselves but it is easier to pretend that their concern is our well being. This should be easy for a FG person to figure. Everyone would agree that FG would have a better chance with say Richard Brutan as leader. Therefore for the greater good of all Enda should make Brutan the leader. Needless to say Enda will cling to the hope that he will be Taoiseach and FG be damned. The mutts who vote for these transparent clowns deserve whats coming to them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:29 pm

youngdan wrote:
That is a good question Seinfeld. I believe people would rather accept a fantasy than accept an uncomfortable truth. Everyone knows that Enda and Cowen are just out for themselves but it is easier to pretend that their concern is our well being. This should be easy for a FG person to figure. Everyone would agree that FG would have a better chance with say Richard Brutan as leader. Therefore for the greater good of all Enda should make Brutan the leader. Needless to say Enda will cling to the hope that he will be Taoiseach and FG be damned. The mutts who vote for these transparent clowns deserve whats coming to them.

YD - your view of democracies and the citizens who live in them is rather jaundiced is it not?

As much it is very hard to take any of your posts regarding party politics in this juristiction seriously.

Also - It mystifies me why there is so much abuse,vitriolic dissppointment and frustration about FG and commentary about internal FG matters by individuals who wouldn't vote for them in fit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:32 pm

Edo. Is what I say about Enda true or not. Or do you believe they have your wellbeing above their own.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:36 pm

Edo wrote:

www.change.ie

I came out at 4.61

6.12 Shocked

I'm a Kilowatt mass murderer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Edo wrote:

www.change.ie

I came out at 4.61

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:39 pm

I will have you know that on the one occasion that I exercised my franchise in Ireland it was for a FG ticket in East Galway. You answer your own question. How can anybody not be dissappoined in FG when they can not beat the most scandal ridden crowd ever. How can a party be an opposition when they have the same policies as FF.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:40 pm

seinfeld wrote:
Edo wrote:

www.change.ie

I came out at 4.61

Holy God - are you living in a mountain cave with a solar powered Laptop?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Edo wrote:
seinfeld wrote:
Edo wrote:

www.change.ie

I came out at 4.61

Holy God - are you living in a mountain cave with a solar powered Laptop?

Not quite, although my existence is somewhat monastic.

I live in a 2 bed house.
I have a wood pellet heating system
My ESB bill is about €150 per month
I drive a 1.1l car
I work from home
I drive less that 5,000km per annum
I take 1 short-haul flight per annum

I haven't done the advanced test yet, however, and my wife's score is 4.1, which I suppose I have to take some responsibility for.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 7:00 pm

I don't like to see water melons in this country.
They are big heavy things, of feck all use, and must surely cost a fortune in carbon to ship/fly over here.

So I'm against water melons.... and Zuchinis also, whatever t' hell they are.

And Pidge made a great point on P.ie a while back about the French buying Irish water, and the Irish buying French water...go figure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 7:03 pm

I have checked mine but it is too Goring.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 7:17 pm

youngdan wrote:
I have checked mine but it is too Goring.

Ah g'wan youngdan, you can tell us. We won't give you a hard time.

Mine was 2.2, (not advanced) but I couldn't see anywhere for solar panels. Could easily slip though because of flights.

Hate to gloat, but we've had constant hot water for the last month from those little darlings. flower
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 7:35 pm

From your experience Cactus, is it fair to say that even in Ireland where there is a shortage of Sun that the panels work pretty well. Imagine how windpower could help things. Now you don't pay taxes on the energy produced by the panels. The government cares only about the tax money. Otherwise every village would have a fleet of electric cars and privately owned mills producing untaxed energy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 7:40 pm

youngdan wrote:
From your experience Cactus, is it fair to say that even in Ireland where there is a shortage of Sun that the panels work pretty well. Imagine how windpower could help things. Now you don't pay taxes on the energy produced by the panels. The government cares only about the tax money. Otherwise every village would have a fleet of electric cars and privately owned mills producing untaxed energy.
This is part of the raison d'etre of this site - to explore such ideas. If the likes of an air car and solar panels and other highly efficient machinery were used in communities then it could have a shocking effect on national politics...

Unfortunately the wind is shite today - this is the best it could do out of a possible 800 MW

Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 Windmo10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 7:47 pm

There comes a time when common sense can no longer be ignored. The quicker there is 166 replacements in the Dail the better. They are there solely for themselves. This basic fact can no longer be ignored.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 11:14 pm

seinfeld wrote:
Edo wrote:

www.change.ie

I came out at 4.61

Somewhere in between you, I got 2.79.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 1:42 am

How are you all getting such low figures? Sad
I'm 5.25.

Its the 2 x short haul flights and 1 long haul that accounts for half it. Also this non-insulated house I'm renting. Argh!

I'll have to give up the foreign holidays!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 1:44 am

eoinmn wrote:
How are you all getting such low figures? Sad
I'm 5.25.

Its the 2 x short haul flights and 1 long haul that accounts for half it. Also this non-insulated house I'm renting. Argh!

I'll have to give up the foreign holidays!

Get some of that draft proofing tape. Or a jumper.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 3:10 am

These results you're all posting - are they the tonnes per year? Cos I got 13.3 tonnes per year, equal to 1.1 per month. (I didn't do the advanced calculator though)
How am I so bad?
It must be all the driving I do - I live in an area with absolutely no public transport and work 50 miles away. Meaning I do an average of 40,000 km per year in a reasonably large car.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 3:14 am

AfricanDave wrote:
These results you're all posting - are they the tonnes per year? Cos I got 13.3 tonnes per year, equal to 1.1 per month. (I didn't do the advanced calculator though)
How am I so bad?
It must be all the driving I do - I live in an area with absolutely no public transport and work 50 miles away. Meaning I do an average of 40,000 km per year in a reasonably large car.

I'll get your coat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 3:26 am

3.81 basic, or 4.09 advanced. Might be slightly lower if I knew a little bit more about the appliances...or had fewer computers.

Still, that's my total footprint, since I work from home. Most people will have an office footprint as well...
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 3:35 am

Well .. I challenge my result now, having thought about it and everything.

It's not my 2.0 Audi A6, It's the kids.

Lights lights lights lights lights lights lights.

Last edited by EvotingMachine0197 on Tue May 13, 2008 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 3:51 am

seinfeld wrote:
AfricanDave wrote:
How am I so bad?

I'll get your coat.

Am I in trouble? Banned? Ex-communicated?
I do try - I have energy efficient light bulbs (Except in the downstairs toilet and other rooms that I don't use the light for long enough for those stupid bulbs to warm up)
I try not to use the central heating too often (I have old windows that let out a lot of heat)
I only use the dishwasher twice a week
I use the washing machine about 3 or 4 times a week

What more can I do?
If there was some (any) kind of public transport in my area I would gladly use it as I'm spending around €100 a week on petrol.
I'm currently saving for double glazing windows (kind of).
I also have some experience with batteries so I'm hoping to set up a small wind turbine somewhere in the garden with a view to running some of the lighting for free.
Other than that I'm all out of ideas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment   Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ten Ways to Make a Difference to the Environment
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next