Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Indymedia - Philosophies

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 9:06 pm

I also hope you do not think that there is any anti-Indymedia agenda here on this site. I am not aware of one. You would want to visit P.ie if you want to see that. There may be one or two individual comments, but until the present fracas, nothing untoward.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 9:15 pm

Articles in question can be found via Google.

Last edited by ibis on Tue May 06, 2008 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 9:17 pm

Here's one of this lady's first ever posts on Indy from 2004 (well before my time). Link (This link isn't dragging my browser to the exact comment - scroll to near the bottom of the page and see the post with the timestamp Fri Apr 23, 2004 21:33)

I see nothing that is hard to follow here and consider this input very valuable to the thread in which it apears, I consider it to be one of the saving graces in the whole thread. As for describing whether it's above par or not (with regard to how well its written), who cares, read the rest to make comparisons.

Last edited by Hermes on Tue May 06, 2008 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed date, post was from 2004, article itself written in 2003)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 9:41 pm

I must say, it is a fascinating thread because you have in it badman (!) a psychiatrist (what would a psychologist make of that name) in discourse with people who have a critique of psychiatry. There are a lot of pretty abusive and meaningless comments thrown in from people who would have done better to try to follow the discussion.

If, and I mean if, the same thing was posted many times without anyone referencing any sources, there is a limit to its value. Hard to see the harm, either.

A recent study found that Prozac, that our health services has spent millions on, in most cases prescribed does not work any better than a placebo.

So who was daft?

Link to Guardian Report

Last edited by cactus flower on Tue May 06, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 9:43 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
Copernicus had to to deal with the reality of the Church even though his theory of the elliptical orbit of the planets is generally considered to be superior in all respects.
Pedantic correction: Copernicus was the heliocentric man. Kepler was the elliptical orbit man.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 10:16 pm

I'd humbly suggest that badman has no license to prescribe medication. Laughing

In order to be passed as fit medication, medictions must fare marginally better than the placebo effect. The placebo effect is the baseline.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 10:39 pm

Hermes wrote:

In order to be passed as fit medication, medictions must fare marginally better than the placebo effect. The placebo effect is the baseline.

Hermes: I read the small print on some very expensive antibiotics last year. It said that they were 5% more effective than a placebo, and if I felt suicidal after taking them I should contact my physician. No

That is not to say I would not under any circumstances take antibiotics. If I had had life-threatening pneumonia I would have swallowed the bottle and taken my chances with the depressive side effects.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Same here. Things'd need to be pretty dire though before I took em.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 10:50 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Hermes wrote:

Hermes: I read the small print on some very expensive antibiotics last year. It said that they were 5% more effective than a placebo, and if I felt suicidal after taking them I should contact my physician. No

That is not to say I would not under any circumstances take antibiotics. If I had had life-threatening pneumonia I would have swallowed the bottle and taken my chances with the depressive side effects.

Antibiotics? That's unusual...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 11:08 pm

ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Hermes wrote:

I was shocked too.
Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 11:20 pm

cactus flower wrote:
ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Hermes wrote:

I was shocked too.
Shocked

Ah - that essentially means "5% better than doing nothing", which makes sense. I was assuming it suggested a useful placebo effect, but it's a placebo only in terms of providing something to give the same regime.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 12:08 pm

I googled Michele Clarke's name and it drew up a complete list of all her Indymedia articles:

http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire?author_name=Michelle%20Clarke
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 12:20 pm

Aragon wrote:
I googled Michele Clarke's name and it drew up a complete list of all her Indymedia articles:

http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire?author_name=Michelle%20Clarke

I particularly like this one: Link

A very good news piece, from last October, well above par and indeed she managed to accomplish an incredibly good deed as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Indymedia - Philosophies   Indymedia - Philosophies - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Indymedia - Philosophies
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3