Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Decline of P.ie?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 9:18 pm

Has P.ie declined drastically since the outage? The moderators seem to
be either non-existent or are just not doing anything. The site has
attracted more crackpots than usual and no action seems to be being
taken to control the problem. Has P.ie jumped the shark?

Regards...jmcc
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 9:30 pm

I think P.ie could be jumping the shark. It's lost that je nai sais quoi ever since The Void. It's full of party hacks, trolls and other somesuch. DC should become a modern Heracles and purge the Augean Stables which P.ie has become.
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 9:42 pm

There is a fair bit of what appears to me like peevishness from a lot of posters on there lately.

I'm on an archiving buzz recently - any posters stuff you would like to persuse in peace just shout - I'm working on Edo at the moment and then Feargach, Farnaby and after that the Dialogues of ibis and Pax and then the Sidewinder Polemics.
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 9:47 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
There is a fair bit of what appears to me like peevishness from a lot of posters on there lately.

I'm on an archiving buzz recently - any posters stuff you would like to persuse in peace just shout - I'm working on Edo at the moment and then Feargach, Farnaby and after that the Dialogues of ibis and Pax and then the Sidewinder Polemics.

We could also do the Saturday Night Preview with SBP and kerrynorth.
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 9:47 pm

It's like Muppet Alley...
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 9:49 pm

ibis wrote:
It's like Muppet Alley...

Sadly.
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 10:00 pm

The party hacks were always there. But now, instead of a set of
conversations, it has become a wasteground where each of them tries to
shout loudest. It is a shame as it was good, once.

Regards...jmcc
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 10:10 pm

What do you think would save it jmcc or are all sites like this born with an Expiry Date?
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 10:11 pm

jmcc wrote:
The party hacks were always there. But now, instead of a set of
conversations, it has become a wasteground where each of them tries to
shout loudest. It is a shame as it was good, once.

P.ie used to give me the same feeling as MN now does - of being involved in a conversation, and interested in the next thing to be said. These days, I check in to see what idiocy or propaganda needs to be countered. The Lisbon forum consists of roughly the same group of posters repeating the same things in different ways (both sides). If someone new expresses an honest doubt, they are warmly welcomed as cleverly having seen through the falsehoods while simultaneously being treated as corroborative evidence for the main group's own positions. It is not a worthwhile forum, though I say so myself.
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 10:16 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
What do you think would save it jmcc or are all sites like this born with an Expiry Date?

Perhaps Jared Diamond should do a new edition of Collapse with a section on the decline and fall of the P.ie Empire.
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 10:23 pm

ibis wrote:
P.ie used to give me the same feeling as MN now does - of
being involved in a conversation, and interested in the next thing to
be said. These days, I check in to see what idiocy or propaganda needs
to be countered. The Lisbon forum consists of roughly the same group of
posters repeating the same things in different ways (both sides). If
someone new expresses an honest doubt, they are warmly welcomed as
cleverly having seen through the falsehoods while simultaneously being
treated as corroborative evidence for the main group's own positions.
It is not a worthwhile forum, though I say so myself.
The whole
Libertas/Lisbon thing has taken the site down hill. The Libertas thing
is so amateurish it is unbelievable. Some of my best purple prose was
even ignored there. Wink It can be fun to trollbait though.

Even the history section of P.ie seems to have gone quiet. There is a
text on the lifecycle of mailing lists that charts how online
communities tend to rise and fall. It probably could be applied to P.ie.

Regards...jmcc
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 10:29 pm

I think it might have been the discovery of the feet of clay. affraid
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 10:55 pm

I'm struck by how there has been an influx of really strange posters. A lot of the old reliables (even those one might disagree vehemently with) have faded away over the last six months. I don't know if it's just Lisbon, perhaps so. Certainly it's amazing how it's become a lightening rod for Lisbon, in a way which just isn't reflected in the society at large. I'd also echo the community thing. I'm very very fond of P.ie for a variety of reasons and I just think that element has gone for the moment. Let's put it a different way. The sort of rolling discussions here are very typical of what used to be on there...
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 11:06 pm

Good posters have left, crap posters have come, all the threads about Libertas and the gammy, gammy new layout are the things putting me off
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 11:21 pm

BuachaillBeo wrote:
Good posters have left, crap posters have come, all the threads about Libertas and the gammy, gammy new layout are the things putting me off

Ooops. Sorry about all the Libertas threads. But they needed outing. Twisted Evil Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyMon May 05, 2008 11:57 pm

cactus flower wrote:
BuachaillBeo wrote:

Ooops. Sorry about all the Libertas threads. But they needed outing. Twisted Evil Very Happy

Oh did you do some of them? oh sorry about that!.... I left my prejudice get the better of me and assumed they were trollish kind of things without bothering to read them.... lean ar aghaidh! Smile
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:07 am

I know this sounds a bit scary, but is there an element of looking at p.ie with new eyes since the outage? It had far too big (and unhealthy) a part in my life in the months before the outage and when it came back, it just wasn't the same. Maybe I've a perspective now that I didn't have then?

What strikes me now about the site is how bitchy it is and how poor the quality of argument and discussion is. There is still some good stuff - but it's hard to find. Maybe I'm losing interest in Lisbon in general as well as p.ie but the thoughts of wading through 27 pages on Lisbon and neutrality or the benefits of Lisbon makes my heart sink.

And the personalised threads make my skin crawl - Gayle Kililea - why?

That said, I do look in every now and again - it still has its moments.
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:14 am

I still like p.ie a lot ... sure its no holes barred and you need a thick skin and a hard neck to survive but its the passion and anger that it generates that gives it the buzz.

MN is -so far anyway - a lot more mellow - like relaxing in your Club after a hectic days trading.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:17 am

Quote :
sure its no holes barred and you need a thick skin and a hard neck to survive but its the passion and anger that it generates that gives it the buzz.

Maybe I'm getting old when I expect passion to come from a place of integrity. Or maybe I'm just trolled out.
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:18 am

BuachaillBeo wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
BuachaillBeo wrote:

Oh did you do some of them? oh sorry about that!.... I left my prejudice get the better of me and assumed they were trollish kind of things without bothering to read them.... lean ar aghaidh! Smile

You missed a lot of fun. Twisted Evil Very Happy But I promise won't go over the ground again and drive you back to P.ie...
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:23 am

Perhaps Bertie Ahern as taoiseach was a focus for many people. But once
he resigned, a lot of posters who had been calling for his resignation
seemed to be in shock. Like dogs chasing a car, they just didn't know
what to do when the car stopped. The Harrisite posters are quite funny
though.

Regards...jmcc
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:26 am

jmcc wrote:
Perhaps Bertie Ahern as taoiseach was a focus for many people. But once
he resigned, a lot of posters who had been calling for his resignation
seemed to be in shock. Like dogs chasing a car, they just didn't know
what to do when the car stopped
. The Harrisite posters are quite funny
though.

Regards...jmcc
What imagery! Very Happy

I think you could be right...
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:27 am

Brandubh wrote:
I still like p.ie a lot ... sure its no holes barred and you need a thick skin and a hard neck to survive but its the passion and anger that it generates that gives it the buzz.

MN is -so far anyway - a lot more mellow - like relaxing in your Club after a hectic days trading.... Very Happy

P.ie is a curate's egg. There is still a part in which you can put an issue up there and people will come and pitch into it. Not all the new posters are bad. There is a Mikesomething who posts sense about environment and planning. But the scope of the threads is very narrow and odd.

There are days when I look down the list and see nothing that grabs me at all. Libertas is pretty well done and dusted - if people don't know who they are by now they never will. Bertie is gone so Tribunal fun is over. Lisbon is just too plain laborious for most people and has been going on a long time. I used to like some of the cultural identity stuff until it was completely overrun with Stormfront posters.

I think the biggest weakness of the site is it is very much grounded in Irish party politics, and as the action now is much more global, it seems less and less relevant.
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:45 am

One of the things that struck me recently is that although I'm there a lot, the p.ie Lisbon poll hasn't deviated more than 1% from its current ration of No to Yes since the early days - despite a huge increase in absolute size. Either it absolutely faithfully reflects the makeup of p.ie posters, and they do the poll in a neat sequence - or someone's packing the poll.

While that's hardly critical, it's indicative.
Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:05 am

Kate P wrote:
And the personalised threads make my skin crawl - Gayle
Kililea - why?
Because people despise the Sindo "journalists"
and this is the way that they express it? The reality is that most
Irish journalists would never get jobs in real publications in an open
market and are doomed to the mediocrity of the Dublin "media".

It is quite comical to see the number of sockpuppets that pop up defending her and the other Sindo types though.

Regards...jmcc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Decline of P.ie? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? Empty

Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie?
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next