Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Can anyone play a piano ?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Can anyone play a piano ? Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:17 am

Well I can't ... yet.

I have my first ever piano exam tomorrow morning in the royal academy place and I am shiting myself.

I feel like I am going for a job interview in Guantanamo bay. cyclops

Wish me luck !

So any of ye handy at tinkling on the yoke ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:21 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Well I can't ... yet.

I have my first ever piano exam tomorrow morning in the royal academy place and I am shiting myself.

I feel like I am going for a job interview in Guantanamo bay. cyclops

Wish me luck !

So any of ye handy at tinkling on the yoke ?

Good luck EvotingMachine - you'll be brilliant - just wriggle your fingers and breathe slowly before you start ( No - can't play a note).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:22 am

EVM I'm delighted for you. Well done!!!!

This is great news. The exam will be fine - the examiners are very decent and will be so chuffed to see an adult learning to love the ivories.

Keep your fingers dry (ie not soaked in nervous sweat) and warm -cold fingers are stiff and unmusical.

And of course you can play - are you doing preliminary or primary grade?

You know, I'm so proud of you already.

Big, encouraging hug coming down the line. Go EVM!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:35 am

Cool!

It's the most beautiful instrument the world has ever seen, I envy you to be able to play even chopsticks. Joni Mitchell and Tori Amos, Nick Cave - listen to a few of them before you have the exam tomorrow and best of luck.

(it is said that programmers are often musical)
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:37 am

Thanks for the encouragement.

So, to summarise:

Bring a hot water bottle, a bottle of talcum powder and look like Fred Astaire !

Kate P, it is Elementary level, before prelim and primary. It's C Major, G Major, 3 pieces and some timing (clapping) exercises.

I should be OK if I can find the right end of the piano.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:43 am

Best of luck EVM! I'm sure you will do well!

I did up to grade 1 back when I was younger. The nasty piano teacher put me off going any further. A big regret.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 am

Elementary level is exactly where you should be - in the spirit of MN you are working with the nuts and bolts of music.

Quote :
Bring a hot water bottle, a bottle of talcum powder and look like Fred Astaire !

Alternatively you could just wear gloves but take them off when the person before you goes in so your hands aren't too hot.

Of course you'll find the right end of the piano - you are a musical expert who knows where middle C is.

Tell me about the pieces - what are they called? What are they like? Have you a preference? I know in advance they have daft names - they always do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:58 am

It's a point of resentment between me and my parents (though they might not be aware of the resentment), as they gave away the piano to stop me from practising. (They gave it to a family friend who was going to use it as more than a bookcase.)

I've been surrounded by more and more music since meeting my boyf, as he's involved in a music school. It's great to see people from the age of four to the age of sixty going forward for the Royal Academy exams that are on at the mo.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 1:09 am

johnfás wrote:
Best of luck EVM! I'm sure you will do well!

I did up to grade 1 back when I was younger. The nasty piano teacher put me off going any further. A big regret.

johnfás, that seems to have happened all to often. Luckily my teacher is very encouraging !

This is my dream:

And then the same piece as played by The Master.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 1:15 am

jaysus what is it its eating my bandwidth.

When did you take it up Evm?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 1:16 am

It's more reverse resentment here. My Mum has her diplomas in both Flute and Piano and nobody to play with! I can sing though so that keeps her happy from time to time!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 1:21 am

I had awful trouble with posting youtube there. I think I't Ok now.

The Freddie video is heavy on b/w. That's how Freddie would have wanted it.

Audi, I took it up in Febuary. The elementals of music were familiar to me already though, as I had played guitar for donkeys years.

TheBear, I have also heard that story. I'm not joking. Something happened in Ireland during the '70s and '80s that made all our parents ditch the pianos. Was it the recession?

The best thing to have in a recession is a piano if you ask me. And a banana sandwich.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 1:23 am

Ferbruary? Its only barely gone March now. Did you take it up on your own or with someone else - applying yourself to these things would be my problem - I'd have to be seriously inspired ...
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 2:24 pm

Well, I got thorugh it this morning, and I think I did OK. But by jesus I was nervous.

From what I observed this morning, the kids seem to take it in their stride, whereas the adults were all in knots.

Still, onwards and upwards !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 2:26 pm

Cheers! EvotingMachine 0197- great stuff. cheers

Never doubted you for a moment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 5:49 pm

Great stuff - EVM.

Kids don't know it's an exam - that realisation comes like it suddenly hit Adam and Eve they were naked and needed a fig leaf; life is never the same thereafter.

I'm glad it went well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 5:55 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 6:18 pm

I thought you said you could sing, johnfás Shocked

But your footwork is interesting....
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:04 pm

I got my results this evening cyclops
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:32 pm

A+ or what?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:42 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
A+ or what?

Not telling. I have modesty you know.

88%
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:45 pm

What grade? Although to judge from your reaction it was good. Anyhow, that's great EVM. A real sense of achievement, isn't it?

I learned in the 1970s, I have always had a keyboard around the place. It's great, but I'm awful.

Still undeterred I use Logic Express and a range of soft synths on a Mac to make electronica of varying degrees of worth from not great to okay. It's not for general listening or anything, just a pastime. V. relaxing. I'd recommend the keyboard or piano to anyone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:47 pm

thebear is a woman!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:52 pm

lostexpectation wrote:
thebear is a woman!

True.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:59 pm

How about giving this a shot?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can anyone play a piano ?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next