Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Charlton Heston: RIP

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Charlton Heston: RIP Empty
PostSubject: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 11:54 pm

Here's another one from my warm, lively hands!

Charlton meets God, again
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 12:25 am

RIP.

I don't read the Economist - are all of their obituaries like that? I'd almost subscribe for them alone. That's taking colour into the psychedellic arena - I've never read such an entertainingly jawdroppingly awful obit.

Overblown - maybe like the man himself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 12:42 am

Kate P wrote:
RIP.

I don't read the Economist - are all of their obituaries like that? I'd almost subscribe for them alone. That's taking colour into the psychedellic arena - I've never read such an entertainingly jawdroppingly awful obit.

Overblown - maybe like the man himself.

Really? So do you like them? You seem mixed on them. Tbh, it's hard to pin down the Economist's style. This is because the journalists and correspondents don't have bylines. Even the columns Charlemagne, Lexington and Bagehot are sometimes without an identifiable sense of personality. When you buy the Economist, you buy the Economist, nothing else. It is a united package.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 12:49 am

I've only read the one you posted and it's dire. But I like it, in the same way perhaps as Wicklow supporters feel about their footballers, maybe inspite of or even because it's /they are so awful.

Quote :
OME said it was the nose: high, majestic, aquiline, magnificently broken in a high-school football game. Some said it was the jaw, rugged as Mount Rushmore and packed almost too full of white, clenched teeth. Or the eyes, blue and far-seeing, as if they measured out panoramas of Western mountain and desert. The body matched: tall, muscled, buffed, bronzed.

What an opening! (God rest him).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 12:51 am

Kate P wrote:
I've only read the one you posted and it's dire. But I like it, in the same way perhaps as Wicklow supporters feel about their footballers, maybe inspite of or even because it's /they are so awful.

Quote :
OME said it was the nose: high, majestic, aquiline, magnificently broken in a high-school football game. Some said it was the jaw, rugged as Mount Rushmore and packed almost too full of white, clenched teeth. Or the eyes, blue and far-seeing, as if they measured out panoramas of Western mountain and desert. The body matched: tall, muscled, buffed, bronzed.

What an opening! (God rest him).

Indeed. The obituaries tend to change wrt the person in question.

On topic, here is a website devoted to the man.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 2:38 am

I am still riled up at the way Michael Moore took advantage of his politeness in that movie the other day. If Heston's mind was as sharp as it once was he would have asked him if the person who left the loaded gun where a 6 year old could take it had a permit and did he interview him. Then he would have shaved him, washed him, set the dog on him and thrown him out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 6:02 pm

i don't get what the issue is with that interview, heston was perfectly lucid during that interview he just didn't want to answer moores questions.

Last edited by lostexpectation on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 6:20 pm

youngdan wrote:
I am still riled up at the way Michael Moore took advantage of his politeness in that movie the other day. If Heston's mind was as sharp as it once was he would have asked him if the person who left the loaded gun where a 6 year old could take it had a permit and did he interview him. Then he would have shaved him, washed him, set the dog on him and thrown him out.
Would a permit have helped in that scenario?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 8:06 pm

The question of whether he was lucid is debatable but the thing is Moore did not interview or mention in any way the person that left the loaded weapon lying around. The fact that he is to blame is plain. He blames the NRA and Dick Clark for not paying the mother enough money. A person responsible enough to have a permit or have been in the NRA would know better. Maybe I am wrong but a viewer here would say where is the interview with the dope who had the gun, where did he get the gun, was it legal etc. Moore has no credibility.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 4:15 am

the other bit they always contest about in that film is about heston going to the town near columbine a couple of weeks after the shooting and and having their nra event, and they show heston going ' you can take this gun out of my cold dead hands.... and then the critics say ah but that footage shown in the movie is not from that show it from one months later so mooore made it all up, ,... but thing is he did appear and say that at the show, they simple used footage from the another show cos they had a better shot of him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:21 pm

It seems that the Flint rally was a get out the vote rally 8 months after the collumbine shooting. The entire movie is total horseshyte as even this amatuer was able to show. LINK
I checked a movie site to verify some of this and found this www.moviemistakes.com/film4308 - 28k - I checked out the guy who left the gun, this is what Time mag says www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,40342-1,00.html - 39k As I would have predicted a crack house. I would point out again that Moore is considered here as big a phoney almost as Al Gore. Needless to say that Moore's body guards are armed to the teeth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:43 pm

I don't think Moore has much credibility... but I don't think that adds any credibility to Charlton Heston.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 11:06 pm

Heston had all the credibility he needed. He lived by what he said. I am getting the impression that Ireland is becoming a scared nation. Nobody seems to have the balls to come to the aid of a victim of violence. I have been reading that some cases have collapsed due to the reluctance of witnesses to give evidence for fear of getting killed. Ignoring the fact that criminals have plenty of guns is fatal to society. What is going on, I read that some thug got a measly sentence for killing a man with a headbutt for nothing. Too bad there was not someone there to blow his balls off and his brains out with just 1 shot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:30 am

youngdan wrote:
Heston had all the credibility he needed. He lived by what he said. I am getting the impression that Ireland is becoming a scared nation. Nobody seems to have the balls to come to the aid of a victim of violence. I have been reading that some cases have collapsed due to the reluctance of witnesses to give evidence for fear of getting killed. Ignoring the fact that criminals have plenty of guns is fatal to society. What is going on, I read that some thug got a measly sentence for killing a man with a headbutt for nothing. Too bad there was not someone there to blow his balls off and his brains out with just 1 shot.

That's very helpful, isn't it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:56 am

It would be if it were done the day before he killed the poor man that kept to himself and had gone out for a few pints. This guy was a known bad egg and when he gets out he will be an even bigger bully and rotten egg than before. Everyone will be afraid of him and who can blame them after he has already gotten away with murder. Nobody will want to employ him and as sure as hell nobody will want to work with him. No decent person will want to be in his company. These bullies are a dime a dozen. I would amend his punishment to include the Roman punishment for heinious crimes. I would tie him in a bag containing stones, rats, cats and dogs and I would throw him into a slurry pit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:58 am

Truth, justice and the American way. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 1:38 am

Kate, if everyone was like you there would be no need for courts or prisons or cops or armies. Unfortunately many people are brutes that will take whatever they can get away with. Lenient treatment for this lout only encourages others. The amount of misery this particular thug will cause from age 30 when he gets out to the time he dies at 80 is 50 years of grief. He killed a man. He should not rejoin society
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 2:28 am

youngdan wrote:
It would be if it were done the day before he killed the poor man that kept to himself and had gone out for a few pints. This guy was a known bad egg and when he gets out he will be an even bigger bully and rotten egg than before. Everyone will be afraid of him and who can blame them after he has already gotten away with murder. Nobody will want to employ him and as sure as hell nobody will want to work with him. No decent person will want to be in his company. These bullies are a dime a dozen. I would amend his punishment to include the Roman punishment for heinious crimes. I would tie him in a bag containing stones, rats, cats and dogs and I would throw him into a slurry pit.

youngdan I am really shocked that you would mistreat poor little animals in that way. Shocked

What you are saying about that man resonates. How can he walk a decent path? People need to be protected from him. The very fact that he lives in a certain street will make it hard for young people who live in that street to get a job. They will have to lie about their address, which is not uncommon in Ireland.

I guess when he killed someone with a headbut he was not stone cold sober. I would like his life sentence to be split up. I would like to give 20% of it to the people who sold him drink when he was under 14. I would like to give 20% of it to the school teachers who didn't bother to teach him (or maybe didn't let him go to school) because he was from the wrong side of the tracks. I would like to give 20 % to the Taoiseach in charge of the poverty trap he grew up in and the dead, bland and meaningless environment he lived in. I would like him to take 40% for himself, and do it in community service, doing something useful.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 3:20 am

You are correct, the Roman branch of the national society for the prevention of cruelty to animals had a dismal record. Their efforts at organising boycotts at the colliseum resulted in many happy lions. This punishment was reserved for patricide I believe so all the rats except the big one gets a break. This guy is tainted forever. Fair or foul he will be unlikely to be able to make an honest living. I understand your line of thinking but would not agree. It is true that he is a product of his circumstances and leniency and excuses could be taken into account if the crime was less. However a death is not easily undone. I would not blame the teachers whats so ever, you can bring a horse to water etc. I wouild not blame the Taoiseach either. I was a publican myself for 12 years so strangely enough I would have him hold some responsibility. Granted the publican is being squeezed financially by the government but we will leave this aside for the moment. If the pub was closed 2 days per young person served drink the problem would be solved very quickly. If a publican allows violent people to frequent his house then he is asking for trouble. In my perfect society a publican could open when he wished, he could allow smoking if he wished, he could deny entrance to anyone for whatever reason he choose. His only restrictions would be age and serving to excess.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 3:26 am

youngdan wrote:
You are correct, the Roman branch of the national society for the prevention of cruelty to animals had a dismal record. Their efforts at organising boycotts at the colliseum resulted in many happy lions. This punishment was reserved for patricide I believe so all the rats except the big one gets a break. This guy is tainted forever. Fair or foul he will be unlikely to be able to make an honest living. I understand your line of thinking but would not agree. It is true that he is a product of his circumstances and leniency and excuses could be taken into account if the crime was less. However a death is not easily undone. I would not blame the teachers whats so ever, you can bring a horse to water etc. I wouild not blame the Taoiseach either. I was a publican myself for 12 years so strangely enough I would have him hold some responsibility. Granted the publican is being squeezed financially by the government but we will leave this aside for the moment. If the pub was closed 2 days per young person served drink the problem would be solved very quickly. If a publican allows violent people to frequent his house then he is asking for trouble. In my perfect society a publican could open when he wished, he could allow smoking if he wished, he could deny entrance to anyone for whatever reason he choose. His only restrictions would be age and serving to excess.

My grandmother went out to work as a barmaid in her 50s, the first time she had worked outside the home in her life but the home needed the money. She was sacked after 2 weeks because she kept sending the punters home to their wives after they had had a couple of drinks. It was not all bad as we got our first taste of coke (glass bottle between 2) and crisps (cheese and onion), and a coca cola round tin tray that I still have.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 3:40 am

I hope she wasn't sending them home to their own wives. Why did she think they were in the pub in the first place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 3:51 am

youngdan wrote:
I hope she wasn't sending them home to their own wives. Why did she think they were in the pub in the first place.

The only person complaining of the outcome was the landlord, who was not making his rent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 4:07 am

Maybe there did not stick to my advice to all at closing time, Go home now before ye go to bed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 4:08 am

youngdan wrote:
Maybe there did not stick to my advice to all at closing time, Go home now before ye go to bed.
Very Happy Sleep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 9:18 am

youngdan wrote:
Kate, if everyone was like you there would be no need for courts or prisons or cops or armies. Unfortunately many people are brutes that will take whatever they can get away with. Lenient treatment for this lout only encourages others. The amount of misery this particular thug will cause from age 30 when he gets out to the time he dies at 80 is 50 years of grief. He killed a man. He should not rejoin society

With respect, youngdan, that's utter bullshit.

Let's just euthenase them when they refuse to sit still in their seats in Junior Infants, shall we? That should sort it out.

If we value human life, then we value all human life - not just the innocent or not so innocent victims but the screwed up, the screwed by society, life and circumstances. That's a lot harder to do youngdan, than simply suggest we throw away the key.

Of course, there are lessons for society in cases like these but it's easier to be Pontius Pilate and refuse to learn - and then make the same mistakes all over again. Not only is it a disservice to victims and their families and to wider society but it's also a disservice to those who are left by the wayside and find themselves in the dock for something that could never have been on their list of dreams and aspirations when they were colouring pictures in primary school.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Charlton Heston: RIP   Charlton Heston: RIP Empty

Back to top Go down

Charlton Heston: RIP
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: History :: An Reilig-
Jump to: