Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Holiday... where to go...

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Holiday... where to go... Empty
PostSubject: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 1:15 pm

As usual, being the only proactive member of my immediate group of friends, the task of organising the annual holiday (usually abroad) has fallen to me. Therefore, I would like to enlist the help of anyone interested in suggesting where to go!

There is a general conflict between the group which will go away - half of us really enjoy cities and scenery, going to concerts when abroad and generally taking in the culture of where we are. The other half enjoy sleeping all day and partying all night. We generally can come to some sort of comprimise whereby we all do bits of each and thus are happy.

Our budget is moderately tight (being students or new to the workforce) and the way things are falling this year it is likely that we will have to go in high season. Usually we would go at the very beginning or the very end of the summer so we get the most for our money. But the impending theses of those doing postgraduate programmes and others of us having to sit Law Society FE-1's in September really rule that out.

So.... any suggestions??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 1:29 pm

You could always try gran canaria. But it would only suit half your friends. Heading there myself now the end of may. I'm not normally a sun holiday person, indeed, I would be the kind who likes looking at the history and scenery of a place, but I'm been dragged along. Furthermore, I'm rather pale, (i like my milk whiteyness, symbolises my purity), so it's going to turn me into one big freckle Smile. However, I hope to enjoy it, to such an extent that I'm try to ensure I remain single before I go. But dammit I seem to be in demand lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 1:34 pm

Gran Canaria has certainly been suggested by some... has anyone been? What is it like as a place?

Last year we went to a tiny island off Greece called Skiathos. We saw Pearse Brosnan there, no less! They were filming Mamma Mia on the island and given that the place is about the size of the Phoenix Park it was hard for the stars to hide! We were also able to go for a day trip to Athens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 1:35 pm

johnfás wrote:
As usual, being the only proactive member of my immediate group of friends, the task of organising the annual holiday (usually abroad) has fallen to me. Therefore, I would like to enlist the help of anyone interested in suggesting where to go!

There is a general conflict between the group which will go away - half of us really enjoy cities and scenery, going to concerts when abroad and generally taking in the culture of where we are. The other half enjoy sleeping all day and partying all night. We generally can come to some sort of comprimise whereby we all do bits of each and thus are happy.

Our budget is moderately tight (being students or new to the workforce) and the way things are falling this year it is likely that we will have to go in high season. Usually we would go at the very beginning or the very end of the summer so we get the most for our money. But the impending theses of those doing postgraduate programmes and others of us having to sit Law Society FE-1's in September really rule that out.

So.... any suggestions??

You could try the Malaga feria in August and then head up the mountains if you have walkers and bird watchers.

The feria is totally local and all night insanity music and parties run by the local clubs - welcoming visitors. it is the biggest party I have ever seen. There is a good place called Pedrejalego / El Palo ten minutes up the coast that is a little fishing village with endless student bars, fish restaurants and coffee places, good swimming and long shingly beach.

Malaga has a good Picasso museum (he was born there) and a good modern gallery the CAC. The city centre is pedestrianised 18th and 19th century (overlayed on a 10,00 year old settlement) and very relaxed.

You dont have to go near the Costa resorts

It is not the coolest place, but as you can tell, I like it, and it ticks a lot of boxes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 12:14 pm

I'd echo what Cactus says about Malaga, partly because it's nearer than the Canaries or Greece (the carbon, you know).

But Andalucia is full of magic. Even Torremolinos is rather nice! They got rid of the lager louts years ago.

It would be a shame to miss Granada -- the Alhambra, the old city, everything about it! If you're based in Malaga, or wherever, consider renting a car; they're ridiculously cheap in Spain. (Get a quote from rentalcargroup.com) Four people in a car is very energy-efficient. There are mountains and spectacular scenery everywhere and the roads are good.

Head west from Malaga and you're into high mountains with those beautiful white villages. A few years ago we stayed in Zahara and Grazalema, just west of Ronda. See this winsome website. Really, the place is even nicer than those words and pictures can describe.

As for the cities, quite simply, all of them are awesome: Malaga, Granada, Seville, Cordoba (the mosque!), Cádiz (off the beaten track but it's a special place, little changed from the 17th century). The natives are friendly (especially if you speak a little Spanish, though all the younger people have some English), and prices are generally reasonable.

I also recommend Kerry...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 12:27 pm

soubresauts wrote:
I'd echo what Cactus says about Malaga, partly because it's nearer than the Canaries or Greece (the carbon, you know).

But Andalucia is full of magic. Even Torremolinos is rather nice! They got rid of the lager louts years ago.

It would be a shame to miss Granada -- the Alhambra, the old city, everything about it! If you're based in Malaga, or wherever, consider renting a car; they're ridiculously cheap in Spain. (Get a quote from rentalcargroup.com) Four people in a car is very energy-efficient. There are mountains and spectacular scenery everywhere and the roads are good.

Head west from Malaga and you're into high mountains with those beautiful white villages. A few years ago we stayed in Zahara and Grazalema, just west of Ronda. See this winsome website. Really, the place is even nicer than those words and pictures can describe.

As for the cities, quite simply, all of them are awesome: Malaga, Granada, Seville, Cordoba (the mosque!), Cádiz (off the beaten track but it's a special place, little changed from the 17th century). The natives are friendly (especially if you speak a little Spanish, though all the younger people have some English), and prices are generally reasonable.

I also recommend Kerry...

Cheers Soubresauts. Nice to meet someone else who likes Malaga - if you havent tried the Feria and like a good night out, you should give it a shot. To anyone going, be aware that these are Spanish speaking territories - phrase book needed if you dont have the language. sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 12:47 pm

Personally always been a fan of Toledos old city, which has nothing in the way of nightlife. But then I'm an old grump.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 3:20 pm

MikeW wrote:
Personally always been a fan of Toledos old city, which has nothing in the way of nightlife. But then I'm an old grump.

Never been there but the paintings of it by El Greco are wonderful.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 7:00 pm

I was very impressed with London. I never had any problem with the food, the shops and markets are incredibly varied, the places to see are infinite, Hyde Park is a lovely place to think and meditate on all things important, I'd recommend a visit to the Houses of Parliament(considering our P.ie upbringing) and the Tube system means nothing is further than an hour away. I'd advise you to get an Oyster Card while you're over there. Pay the £20 or so to load up the card at the Heathrow station(which is on the Piccadilly Line) and then swipe it over the scanner in and out of the station. You get the cheapest possible fare that way. You can then top it up as you go and get a refund at the end of your trip by presenting the Card along with the receipt.

PS: Even as a staunch republican, I exhort you to go look at the Crown Jewels. Marvel at the wonderful skill of the crafstmen jewellers who brought them to their present glory!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 7:04 pm

I love London. Absolutely fantastic city. My mum is from England so I have spent alot of time there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 7:09 pm

johnfás wrote:
I love London. Absolutely fantastic city. My mum is from England so I have spent alot of time there.

Very true, though I felt very self-conscious having Earl Grey and croissant in the Royal Exchange...in a hoodie! I was surrounded by City types in Apprentice attire. I was eaves-dropping on one of their conversations and I was surprised as to what company one of them was which was looking for funding...a manufacturing one! And here was me thinking Britain was irretrievably post-industrial!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 9:29 pm

And go to The Mousetrap. My Grandmother lived in London and I spent a lot of time there too.

I love the West End - Hamleys toy shop is great fun. Greenwich Observatory is worth a visit a bit further out.

If it was my choice it would be Italy - Florence for everything (except a bit awkward to get to) - culture in spades, great food, not far from Venice or Pisa if you were renting a car. Lake Garda not far either - worth staying there over night - there are tiny villages on the lake to chill in. Lovely people everywhere. Gorgeous scenery too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 11:42 pm

How about Scotland or a ferry to France johnfás? what about roughing it camping (love camping I love you ) ? There are absolutely beautiful parts of England too - I've been to London (i must be tired of life) and I've travelled around Devon and lived in Edinburgh for a while. Devon is ... stunningly green ! I was impressed by the quality of the tiny country lanes - really lamented not having brung me skateboard.

We saw Buckfast Abbey too.

What about the Lake District? This is all fairly near to you by ferry if you are trying to stretch the few bob. (although ryanair flights to spain etc. go from about €50 return to continental Europe Holiday... where to go... Icon_confused )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi Johnfas,

I went to Gran Canaria a few years ago with a big group of friends. It served its purpose in that we all got pissed for a week but it was fairly grim and I wouldn’t be in a hurry to go back. I found the people really unfriendly as well.

That sort of put me off sun holidays until I reluctantly agreed to go to Cyprus last summer with five friends. We went to Paphos (capital of west Cyprus) and I couldn’t recommend it highly enough.

Firstly, it is an absolutely beautiful town, lively and touristy but really well kept and a pleasure to walk around in. It has something for everyone - loads of clubs and bars and amazing food - as well as plenty to see in the surrounding area. The town is a UNESCO world heritage site so there is plenty of history to take in.

The people are also incredibly friendly and it is beside the most beautiful beach I've ever been to. It cost me about nine hundred for a week (including accommodation, flights and spending money) so its not too pricey either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:39 pm

unaligned wrote:
Hi Johnfas,

I went to Gran Canaria a few years ago with a big group of friends. It served its purpose in that we all got pissed for a week but it was fairly grim and I wouldn’t be in a hurry to go back. I found the people really unfriendly as well.

That sort of put me off sun holidays until I reluctantly agreed to go to Cyprus last summer with five friends. We went to Paphos (capital of west Cyprus) and I couldn’t recommend it highly enough.

Firstly, it is an absolutely beautiful town, lively and touristy but really well kept and a pleasure to walk around in. It has something for everyone - loads of clubs and bars and amazing food - as well as plenty to see in the surrounding area. The town is a UNESCO world heritage site so there is plenty of history to take in.

The people are also incredibly friendly and it is beside the most beautiful beach I've ever been to. It cost me about nine hundred for a week (including accommodation, flights and spending money) so its not too pricey either.

I loved Crete when I went there many years ago, but never to Cyprus - you have sold it to me and I think I'll give it a shot sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 10:44 am

Did you decide where to go, Johnfás?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 2:22 pm

By coincidence, The Observer yesterday featured the very district in Andalucia I referred to above: article here -- about hill-walking among the white villages.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 2:28 pm

No decision yet! We're finishing off organising the Tag Rugby team and then we'll be confirming the holiday. So far people are airing opinions on America (Boston and New York) and then also Mallorca. I have suggested we go on a walking holiday near Santiago de Compostela... they didn't seem too interested!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 2:42 pm

New York if you haven't been before would be great as long as you have any tolerance for cities. Very different from Mallorca I'd say ...
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 3:12 pm

I'm going to NY next week as it happens.

I was there in 1988 on a J-1, this time I'm bringing the family I didn't have back then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Has anyone been to Turkey? What about Istanbul for 3 days and then off to the seaside? Don't know how feasible that is - anyone got experience?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 2:40 pm

johnfás wrote:
Has anyone been to Turkey? What about Istanbul for 3 days and then off to the seaside? Don't know how feasible that is - anyone got experience?

Sent my husband on a walking trip there last year. He had a wonderful time. There are great traditional places to stay, and the Haghia Sophia is a neccessary visit for any Christian. He didn't do the beach resorts but went hot air ballooning in Cappodocia and walking in the Kurdish border areas to the east.

Holiday... where to go... Balloon-tours-4
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 4:40 pm

johnfás wrote:

So.... any suggestions??

Very jealous of your ability to go on holiday with your mates. Just wait 'til you're lugging around a bugey, a suitcase full of nappies and assorted fruit-filled tupperware containers, not to mention having to stop every 20 minutes for toilets, food, histrionics etc etc

That said, I am going to Zurich for 2 nights during Euro 2008 with some friends. We've done this before, and deliberatly avoid booking accommodation, to add a bit of an edge to the trip: ie part of the fun is trying to find somewhere (anywhere) to sleep.

After that, the family will be going to a Municipal Campsite in Annecy in France for a week in September. Annecy is a great small city: the lake allows for swimming, water sports etc and the town itself is full of culture, shopping, sights, bars, restaurants etc. We've been back there 3 times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 4:44 pm

Annecy is an absolutely beautiful place. The lake is lovely. You should go on an excursion to Lausanne to the Olympic Museum, if you are interested in sport. It is about an hour and a half away - well worth a visit!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 4:55 pm

johnfás wrote:
Annecy is an absolutely beautiful place. The lake is lovely. You should go on an excursion to Lausanne to the Olympic Museum, if you are interested in sport. It is about an hour and a half away - well worth a visit!

I've been to the general Haute-Savoie/Leman region loads of times at this stage. Its my favourite part of Europe, winter or summer.

I lived in Montreux for a year when I was in college, so I know Lausanne quite well. Towns like Evian and Yvoire are also amazing.

Can't think of anywhere I'd rather be than sipping a beer on the deck of steamboat chugging across Lake Geneva.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holiday... where to go...   Holiday... where to go... Empty

Back to top Go down

Holiday... where to go...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next