Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Listening to Teenagers

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Listening to Teenagers Empty
PostSubject: Listening to Teenagers   Listening to Teenagers EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 2:01 pm

I know some people have trouble accessing the Irish Times online but I can't find this elsewhere. http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0416/1208276931449.html
Quote :
The four key themes which emerged in the consultations were:

• The provision of youth cafes and other alcohol-free facilities for teenagers.

• Age-appropriate and improved education programmes.

• An updated and effectively enforced ID system for young people.

• A reduction in the legal age for drinking alcohol to 16.

Launching the report yesterday, Minister of State for Children Brendan Smith said he was impressed by the mature and responsible manner in which teenagers participated in the consultations.

While he said some of the report's conclusions were not necessarily shared by his office - such as reducing the drinking age - he urged parents and policymakers to give them full consideration.

It's just a shame the IT couln't go along with his advice. They ran with the headline 'Most teenagers want legal drinking age lowered to 16', ignoring the other points. It was a tactic adopted by other media discussions. Ray d'Arcy had a good chuckle at the idea of listening to young people's views on the matter. Imagine, listening to the people affected by the issue! Next we'll be asking old people what they think about retirement homes, or jobless people what they think of unemployment.

And then we wonder why young people ignore the values we impose upon them, for their own good of course. There has been a thaw in this matter in recent years, young people are being consulted on matters such as the age of consent for example. But the patronising attitude is still very much to the fore.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Listening to Teenagers   Listening to Teenagers EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 pm

I think it swings both ways. We should certainly be listening to teenagers, taking honest account of their opinions and recommendations. However, there is a reason why it is adults that make the laws. I don't think in relation to, for example, lowering the age of consumption of alcohol that a teenager's voice should hold the same weight as it would on other issues regarding it. But certainly in relation to education programmes etc, yes.

Our Church is planning a redevelopment, part of which will incorporate a non alcohol youth café which will function every evening of the week including various activities. The red tape one has to cross with insurance etc for this sort of thing is enormous. Cutting down on red tape for community initiatives is a good place to start.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Listening to Teenagers   Listening to Teenagers EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 3:30 pm

A little less time listening to teenagers and a little more time engaging with them might make the world a happier place.

What your church is doing sounds very proactive, johnfás.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Listening to Teenagers   Listening to Teenagers EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 10:58 pm

There's a youth café opening up in my area soon. I think it's a very good thing. The well-worn seanfhocal "Mol an oige agus tiocfaidh siad" is as true now as it was the day it was coined. The youth are our nation's future-they must be safe-guarded!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Listening to Teenagers   Listening to Teenagers EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 12:33 pm

johnfás wrote:
Our Church is planning a redevelopment, part of which will incorporate a non alcohol youth café which will function every evening of the week including various activities. The red tape one has to cross with insurance etc for this sort of thing is enormous. Cutting down on red tape for community initiatives is a good place to start.
Where is that? (You seem to hail from near my clan's stronghold, so I was wondering if I knew it.)

You often hear older people giving out about ageism, but I'd have said that the ageism displayed towards teenagers, and even people in their early twenties, is far greater.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Listening to Teenagers   Listening to Teenagers EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 12:35 pm

My Church is in Ballinteer.

I'd agree with you on the ageism point. In my experience, contrary to what you hear on the radio on the likes of Liveline, young people still give up seats to older people on buses and to a large degree still treat them with adequate respect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Listening to Teenagers   Listening to Teenagers EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 12:39 pm

Johnfás, I love the way you have a different avatar everyday - it's great.

I have a bit of an issue with giving up seats for older people, etc simply because of their age. I still do it - especially on the Luas, but I don't think age qualifies anyone for special treatment for anything on its own.

Some older people are downright rude - as are some young people. Age shouldn't be the criteria on which we judge people - positively or negatively.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Listening to Teenagers   Listening to Teenagers EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 12:52 pm

Well, at the end of the day no one's advocating votes for everyone over playschool. But what struck me about this matter was the ignoring of the many good points made in the report in favour of the 'young people want to drink? No shit' approach.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Listening to Teenagers   Listening to Teenagers EmptyTue May 27, 2008 2:53 am

TheBear wrote:
You often hear older people giving out about ageism, but I'd have said that the ageism displayed towards teenagers, and even people in their early twenties, is far greater.

905 wrote:
And then we wonder why young people ignore the values we impose upon them, for their own good of course. There has been a thaw in this matter in recent years, young people are being consulted on matters such as the age of consent for example. But the patronising attitude is still very much to the fore.

There is a huge element of truth in this, unfortunately...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Listening to Teenagers   Listening to Teenagers EmptyTue May 27, 2008 11:36 am

What is the point in not reducing the drinking age to 16? What percentage of teenagers of that age don't drink anyway? The biggest barrier to drinking was the price but with weekend jobs and below cost selling of alcohol by supermarkets that is no longer an issue.

Only recently we heard that the age for starting to take drugs is 14! In fact is is probably easier and cheaper for a teenager to go out and but some hash or some acid than it is to buy a few cans. Better on Bud than spliffs and scag.

I would not be too worried about keeping the age limit at 18 either. They are all drinking anyway and nothing is being done about it.

A lot of parents tolerate in the home in the hope that their children will learn to drink sensibly in a safe environment. Perhaps if we had the cafes at least then the young people could go there after a few bevvies and hang out in a safe environment away from any immediate pressure to take other stuff.

Ideally though, young people should start drinking in the company of adults they respect so that they treat it as something that should be done without making a gobshite of yourself. In that regard, reducing the age limit to 16 makes sense, even if you do not allow them to purchase alcohol at that age. Perhaps it could exclude pubs and outdoor drinking generally?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Listening to Teenagers   Listening to Teenagers Empty

Back to top Go down

Listening to Teenagers
Page 1 of 1