Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Assault on Proinsias De Rossa

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Assault on Proinsias De Rossa Empty
PostSubject: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Has anyone read this yet? http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-probe-gang-attack-on-proinsias-de-rossa-1349116.html

Quote :
GARDAI are investigating an alleged assault on Labour MEP Proinsias De Rossa as he left a public meeting on the upcoming Lisbon Treaty referendum.

Quote :

Mr Costello said the former Democratic Left leader had blood on his hands after the assault took place on the path outside Liberty Hall, Dublin, on Monday night.
Mr De Rossa later told gardai that he had been knocked to the ground and injured his hand, which bled. He also alleged that some of the group sat on him, but said he did not wish to make a formal complaint about the incident. But one of the anti-treaty campaigners alleged he had been assaulted by Mr De Rossa.

Apparently Éamonn Gilmore first broke the news.

Now at this stage, I'm almost firmly decided that I shall be voting yes. However, although I completely condemn this instance, I do not see the reason why it has been released to the press by Gilmore. Is it a 'these are the type of people who vote no' slur? Considering that De Rossa is downplaying what happened, and is clearly no mood to talk about, I have to think the incident, though callous, has been manipulated for unsavoury ends. Yes can win on facts alone, it doesn't need such drama and special effects.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:33 pm

riadach wrote:
Considering that De Rossa is downplaying what happened, and is clearly no mood to talk about, I have to think the incident, though callous, has been manipulated for unsavoury ends.

De Rossa in fact did an interview of several minutes this morning on RTE Morning Ireland. Said the incident had shaken him alot, had a very bad sleep last night and was missing several European Parliament meetings this morning. He also said that he had noticed a high level of aggression amongst certain members of the No Campaign at many of the discussions and debates he had spoken at.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:34 pm

A bit of a non-story, to be frank. I wouldn't pay too much attention to Gilmore, he hasn't exactly stood out as a beacon on the treaty debate. I doubt this is his opening piece.

Of course, maybe he really feels angry about what happened. Maybe we shouldn' read some cold cynical message into what Gilmore said.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:38 pm

riadach wrote:
Has anyone read this yet? http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-probe-gang-attack-on-proinsias-de-rossa-1349116.html

Quote :
GARDAI are investigating an alleged assault on Labour MEP Proinsias De Rossa as he left a public meeting on the upcoming Lisbon Treaty referendum.

Quote :

Mr Costello said the former Democratic Left leader had blood on his hands after the assault took place on the path outside Liberty Hall, Dublin, on Monday night.
Mr De Rossa later told gardai that he had been knocked to the ground and injured his hand, which bled. He also alleged that some of the group sat on him, but said he did not wish to make a formal complaint about the incident. But one of the anti-treaty campaigners alleged he had been assaulted by Mr De Rossa.

Apparently Éamonn Gilmore first broke the news.

Now at this stage, I'm almost firmly decided that I shall be voting yes. However, although I completely condemn this instance, I do not see the reason why it has been released to the press by Gilmore. Is it a 'these are the type of people who vote no' slur? Considering that De Rossa is downplaying what happened, and is clearly no mood to talk about, I have to think the incident, though callous, has been manipulated for unsavoury ends. Yes can win on facts alone, it doesn't need such drama and special effects.

It is unfortunately being manipulated. It seems de Rossa was being "confronted" by We Are Change Ireland (source: Indymedia) - and their confrontations usually involve a camcorder and people shouting. I wouldn't have any sympathy for their claims of being assaulted - 4 or 5 guys in their 20's versus one 60-something politician. However, meejits do appear to added their various pointless spins.

Still, at this stage the Gardai are investigating.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:43 pm

Last edited by lostexpectation on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:43 pm

ibis wrote:

It is unfortunately being manipulated. It seems de Rossa was being "confronted" by We Are Change Ireland (source: Indymedia) - and their confrontations usually involve a camcorder and people shouting. I wouldn't have any sympathy for their claims of being assaulted - 4 or 5 guys in their 20's versus one 60-something politician. However, meejits do appear to added their various pointless spins.

Are those the same group who did the 'hard-hitting' interview with Gerry Adams, ambushing him at a book signing, alleging MI5 links, and coming to miraculous conclusions at the end?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:47 pm

lostexpectation wrote:
so did he say who he thought it was?

He refused to answer those questions because there was a Garda investigation and he anticipated charges being brought. A brief synopsis of what he said:

* It was one of the more troubling moments in his career
* It has left him quite shaken
* He will be more careful at future Lisbon Treaty debates but will not cease to attend (listed his upcoming events)
* Said that there was an increasing aggressive side to some aspects of the No Campaign which he has noticed at a number of debates.
* That the people who set upon him were not just young over zealous youths - he mentioned someone in their 50s.
* That it was now a matter for the Gardaí.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:51 pm

riadach wrote:
ibis wrote:

Are those the same group who did the 'hard-hitting' interview with Gerry Adams, ambushing him at a book signing, alleging MI5 links, and coming to miraculous conclusions at the end?

Them's the lads.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Here is Gilmore's statement:

Quote :
GILMORE CONDEMNS ASSAULT ON LABOUR MEP

The Leader of the Labour Party, Eamon Gilmore TD, has condemned an assault on Labour Party MEP, Proinsias De Rossa, outside Liberty Hall on Monday night, following a public meeting on the Lisbon Reform Treaty.

“When Proinsias De Rossa left the meeting at approximately 10.30pm he was confronted by a group of men, some of whom had been present at the meeting and had spoken aggressively against the Treaty. One of the group shouted abuse at him through a loud-hailer. The group pursued Proinsias on the street. When he objected to being filmed by one of the group with a camcorder he was knocked to the ground and some of those involved sat on his back pinning him to the ground. The Gardai arrived and took statements from those involved. Proinsias suffered minor abrasions and is quite shaken by the assault.

“We do not yet know the identity of those involved in this assault or if they were members of any particular organisation. However, I was greatly shocked by what happened to Proinsias De Rossa. In a democracy elected representatives must be free to walk the streets without the threat of physical abuse.

“The meeting on Monday night was one of a series that Labour has planned to inform the public of the provisions of the Treaty and to put Labour’s case for a ‘yes’ vote in the June referendum. While the meeting was well attended, with more than 100 present, it was clear that a minority of those present were not interested in any rational discussion and were present only to disrupt. The nature of the questioning and contributions from the floor by opponents of the Treaty was ugly and intimidatory. One person present insisted on continuously using a camcorder to film people present, despite requests from most of those present, not to do so.

“The Labour Party wants to have a serious debate about the Lisbon Reform Treaty. We are more than happy to engage in calm and rational debate with opponents of the Treaty. The anti-democratic tactics we saw on Monday night during and after the meeting must not become a feature of this referendum campaign or indeed of public discourse generally. I appeal to participants on all sides of this debate to show respect for each others position and to avoid the aggression we saw on Monday night.

I completely reject any charge of manipulation here.
Labour's statements have been to cirticise the attack and the anti-democratic nature of the protests.

Read the statements lads, not the media spin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 1:00 pm

Indymedia's take on the matter: http://www.indymedia.ie/article/87188

The other side of the story sems to be that de Rossa tried to take the camera off his opponents.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 1:01 pm

905 wrote:
Indymedia's take on the matter: http://www.indymedia.ie/article/87188

The other side of the story sems to be that de Rossa tried to take the camera off his opponents.

How hard is it to push a sixty year old man away, without knocking him to the ground and sitting on him though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 1:04 pm

You know what these whingy liberal D4 types are like. Muesli is no substitute for red meat; they're weak as kittens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 1:06 pm

I'd accept that. No-one from either side has the right to bring violence into the debate, and there is nothing wrong with highlighting that this is the case.

Quote :
The other side of the story sems to be that O Rossa tried to take the camera off his opponents.

The versions tally, I would say - it comes down to a matter of how much force de Rossa used in trying to get the camera away from him, how much force was used in 'preventing' that, and how much aggression was aimed at de Rossa before that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 1:32 pm

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0416/morningireland_av.html?2362350,null,209

he said it was from then no side and the left but these guys are far right wing libertarians aren't they, i know that it get muddy in that area.

i think joe duffy didn't help at all by mentioning libertas several times on his show yesterday as if they are the only no campaigners therefore they only candidates for the scuffles, joe duffy can't be that stupid can he?

they were looking for information they were asking a specific question about his vote in the eu parliament and got angry when he didn't answer it ,and de rossa didn't mention the camera.

these we re change people aren't aggressive in nature, not on puropse they sthink they are trying to save the world, over zealous would be a description for them, de rosa said it was organised aggression i don' think it was. but obviously it was their fault.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptySun May 11, 2008 11:46 pm

anybody watch the we are change ireland interview with alex jones
http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=280

the irish guys were laughing at alex jones

http://www.wacireland.org/
details of a interview with the sunday times

this is all very unfair on we are change, i mean its all stupid particularly the media jumping on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyMon May 12, 2008 1:04 am

lostexpectation wrote:
anybody watch the we are change ireland interview with alex jones
http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=280

the irish guys were laughing at alex jones

http://www.wacireland.org/
details of a interview with the sunday times

this is all very unfair on we are change, i mean its all stupid particularly the media jumping on it.

Looks interesting, will have a proper look tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:14 am

I listened to the Alex Jones tape and did not hear the Irish lads laughing at him. Why would they when Jones were on their side.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyMon May 12, 2008 11:21 am

youngdan wrote:
I listened to the Alex Jones tape and did not hear the Irish lads laughing at him. Why would they when Jones were on their side.

I heard myself laughing.

Jones thought he was talking to WAC in the UK.

Instead, he ended up talking to some nutjob about habeus corpus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyMon May 12, 2008 6:05 pm

The people on the tape were not laughing. I watched the the deRossa tape also. The fool tripped over himself. The labour voters are even more moronic than FG voters if they elect this lad. When the court system is run on the continental system ye will have a greater knowledge of habeus corpus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyTue May 13, 2008 12:12 pm

well they were having fun and trying to be more sober about it then alex jones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyTue May 13, 2008 6:14 pm

Jones did not know too much about the incident probably and was going on what he had seen elsewhere re national sovereignty
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:25 am

I hope Mr De Rossa is feeling better today, after all, it is his birthday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assault on Proinsias De Rossa   Assault on Proinsias De Rossa Empty

Back to top Go down

Assault on Proinsias De Rossa
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Politics and Current News :: The Open Europe Forum-
Jump to: