Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Uuuuggghhh

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 11:22 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
I'm sick of being sick.
I have to take the world's worst substance (Picolax) on Thursday and go back into hospital on Friday.

AND NOW

I think I'm getting a cold/flu/BAD AIDS or something. I'd go dig a hole, crawl into it and die if I had the energy. But I don't! Sad
What's picolax? I think I got something too. Did you get rid of yours? I just can't get warm today....Seriously - what am I going to do?

Luckily I bought 6 seasons of the West Wing !! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 11:50 pm

Google it - it's grim.

Couch, hot water bottle, hot chocolate (in the absence of hot whiskey) blanket that's long enough to go over your feet, lots of cushions and the West Wing (and somone to change the discs) is the solution to all of life's ills and yours.
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 12:16 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
I'm sick of being sick.
I have to take the world's worst substance (Picolax) on Thursday and go back into hospital on Friday.

AND NOW

I think I'm getting a cold/flu/BAD AIDS or something. I'd go dig a hole, crawl into it and die if I had the energy. But I don't! Sad
What's picolax? I think I got something too. Did you get rid of yours? I just can't get warm today....Seriously - what am I going to do?

Try paying your gas bill.
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 1:09 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
I'm sick of being sick.

AND NOW

Picolax is something that when described to you make you wince (The Shins - Wincing the night away is a great album BTW) and make that "sympathy" face. But when you experience it you consider crying like a little girl when you feel a movement coming on. Then you realise you have NO choice over that movement and you DO cry like a little girl. When it comes to explain to somebody what picolax is you realise you can never do it justice, make a half arsed (not intended) attempt and they make the "sympathy" face and you want to make THEM cry like a little girl.

Picolax is a heavy duty industrial strength purgative osmotic laxative. BAD stuff. 

Kate is right though, sitting in front of a roaring fire wrapped a blankey with a hot drink in your hand while you watch the WW is the way to go.
Amost my ideal evening, just replace "blankey" with "attractive model" and "hot drink" with "glass of wine" and "WW" with "your numbers come up in the lotto".
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 7:28 am

Cookie Monster wrote
Quote :
Kate is right though, sitting in front of a roaring fire wrapped a blankey with a hot drink in your hand while you watch the WW is the way to go.
Amost my ideal evening, just replace "blankey" with "attractive model" and "hot drink" with "glass of wine" and "WW" with "your numbers come up in the lotto".

The only disadvantage is waking up at 4am to discover the laptop still precariously balanced on your knees and your neck twisted into some peculiar shape. And Euronews. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 11:31 am

It's a bit mad waking up at half six and going to this shagging site but I've been awake all night with tonsillitis which I haven't had since I was 12. It's horrible - very hard to swallow. If you've ever/ever suffer from it I advise gargling with salt and warm water - it kills the germs which cause the pain. Apparently the mouth is the most filthy part of the whole body Mad

Is it the time of the year when everyone gets sick or something?
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 12:25 pm

I'm always fascinated that people post at apparently random times in the middle of the night. I think a thread about 'why are you posting at this hour?' would make interesting reading.

And yes, this is one of the 10 months of the year between September and June when Irish people are sick. It's always 'that time of year' except in the height of summer when we get distracted by the sun.
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 12:49 pm

I'm always down something. Had a shocking flu there not so long ago, gave it to my whole family too when I visited them in the early stages.
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 6:48 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
It's a bit mad waking up at half six and going to this shagging site but I've been awake all night with tonsillitis which I haven't had since I was 12. It's horrible - very hard to swallow. If you've ever/ever suffer from it I advise gargling with salt and warm water - it kills the germs which cause the pain. Apparently the mouth is the most filthy part of the whole body Mad

Is it the time of the year when everyone gets sick or something?
I used to get it on a monthly basis when I was a kid, then I got them taken out. Now, as a cruel twist of fate, I get infections on the scars when my tonsils used to be. How harsh is that!? It's now 12 years since I had them removed, and I still get these occasional infections in the same place.
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 8:58 pm

12 years since you had them removed? I assume you're quite young - in your twenties. Didn't we have some change of opinion a good while ago, maybe twenty years ago on the advantages/disadvantages of removing the tonsils? I thought we felt it was better to leave them in unless they were really troublesome. You had tonsilitis every month - o dear, it's almost as bad as a toothache for those who don't know. It's very painful to swallow. Were you encouraged to rinse and gargle with salt and warm water at all? The same thing was happening to me - I got tonsilitis more and more frequently, I believe, because I was becoming immune to anti-biotics. When it got critical, my grandmother subjected me to a ritual of gargling with lukewarm salty water. My tonsilitis virtually went away for good and only came back the odd time - once every five years or so and I use salt and water still to clear it. In fact it's a lot better than it was this morning already.

We don't really know enough about how the body works do we? Some old-wives tales are just that, but some old cures really are very very effective.
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 11:15 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
12 years since you had them removed? I assume you're quite young - in your twenties. Didn't we have some change of opinion a good while ago, maybe twenty years ago on the advantages/disadvantages of removing the tonsils? I thought we felt it was better to leave them in unless they were really troublesome. You had tonsilitis every month - o dear, it's almost as bad as a toothache for those who don't know. It's very painful to swallow. Were you encouraged to rinse and gargle with salt and warm water at all? The same thing was happening to me - I got tonsilitis more and more frequently, I believe, because I was becoming immune to anti-biotics. When it got critical, my grandmother subjected me to a ritual of gargling with lukewarm salty water. My tonsilitis virtually went away for good and only came back the odd time - once every five years or so and I use salt and water still to clear it. In fact it's a lot better than it was this morning already.

We don't really know enough about how the body works do we? Some old-wives tales are just that, but some old cures really are very very effective.
I certainly noticed that some of the antibiotics declined in effectiveness. I don't think I was told to gargle salty water, though Disprin in warm water was recommended. My young nephew had them out recently enough, but there was certainly more consideration given to the pros and cons of the operation than was the case when I had the operation.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 11:22 pm

Audi, did you try strepsils. They're fairly good for all that throat business.
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 11:25 pm

Luke warm salty water is certainly the business: much better than any off the shelf mouth wash as well as good for throat infections. Hand washing and washing the eyes regularly also keeps down infections - a lot of colds enter the system through rubbing your eyes with your hands apparently.

I have read that people who wash the insides of their nostrils regularly e.g. the French get fewer colds. Perhaps you didn't want to hear that, sorry. Embarassed

Best wishes to Cookiemonster anyway, hope everything is going well for you.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 11:29 pm

Yeh, handwashing is a very effective illness control. We should be washing our hands about 10 times a day.

Don't fancy putting a J-cloth up me nose though.
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 11:31 pm

My wife had her tonsils out when she was a child. After a recent bout of strep throat, the doctor informed her that her tonsils had grown back. I didn't think that was possible, but it is.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 2:59 am

clareman51 wrote:
My wife had her tonsils out when she was a child. After a recent bout of strep throat, the doctor informed her that her tonsils had grown back. I didn't think that was possible, but it is.

Shocked I thought that only happened in Monty Python movies.

Did they consider the possibility that the first doctor didn't remove the tonsils correctly in the first place ? Suppose they did.
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 3:03 am

Feck Clareman that's mad with the tonsils growing back like that ... why did God give us tonsils in the first place anyway? To catch all the germs that would go down the throat?

Seriously, salty water seems to be a good antiseptic by the looks of this thread. Washing the eyes with it, Cactus? That's an interesting one. The eyes and nose are connected of course. Could you brush your teeth with it too? Very Happy Mad
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 12:58 pm

You could, but it would be best to dissolve it first to avoid scrubbing the enamel off and rinsing with plain water to avoid salt-induced heart failure.
No
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 4:23 pm

Bread soda, if you can tolerate it, is the old fashioned toothpaste.
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Kate P wrote:
Bread soda, if you can tolerate it, is the old fashioned toothpaste.
But shouldn't be used too often, as far as I recall.
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 5:04 pm

Kate P wrote:
I'm always fascinated that people post at apparently random times in the middle of the night. I think a thread about 'why are you posting at this hour?' would make interesting reading.

And yes, this is one of the 10 months of the year between September and June when Irish people are sick. It's always 'that time of year' except in the height of summer when we get distracted by the sun.

Simple answer Kate... alcohol

The cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems

I actually remember reading a post on P.ie one night, (remember P.ie?), where a poster posted rambling nonsense at about 4am, replete with copious spelling errors, before declaring baltantly that.. ok I'm piss*ed..
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 5:35 pm

rockofcashel wrote:

I actually remember reading a post on P.ie one night, (remember P.ie?), where a poster posted rambling nonsense at about 4am, replete with copious spelling errors, before declaring baltantly that.. ok I'm piss*ed..

Now that hasn't happened here yet not much anyway only once to Edo .
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 5:42 pm

ROC, I remember that post. One of the best.
Back to top Go down

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 3:44 am

rockofcashel wrote:
Kate P wrote:

AFAICR, that was MrStupid, RoC.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

Uuuuggghhh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uuuuggghhh   Uuuuggghhh EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 3:47 am

I was going to suggest it was RoC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content