Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

On this day 12 April in Irish History

Go down 
AuthorMessage

On this day 12 April in Irish History Empty
PostSubject: On this day 12 April in Irish History   On this day 12 April in Irish History EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 2:45 am

12 April, 1816: Charles Gavan Duffy was born in Co. Monaghan. Self-educated as a journalist, Duffy would found the Nation, a nationalist weekly journal, along with Thomas Davis and John Dillon in 1842.

12 April 1847 - The American relief ship, Jamestown, lands supplies in Cork for victims of the Famine.

12 April 1916 - Roger Casement sets sail from Germany to Ireland aboard a German U-boat.

12 April 1928: First aircraft to make the East – West crossing of the Atlantic. The crew was Colonel James Fitzmaurice, Captain Kohl, and Baron von Heunfeld. They left Baldonnel airfield on the aircraft ‘Bremen’ and flew all the way to Greenly Island, Newfoundland, where they made a forced landing after a flight of 2,300 miles in just over 36 hours.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 12 April in Irish History   On this day 12 April in Irish History EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 4:17 am

Does the fact that it is also my birthday count? Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 12 April in Irish History   On this day 12 April in Irish History EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 12:27 pm

notdevsson wrote:

Aries - could have guessed.

Have a good one. jocolor drunken king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 12 April in Irish History   On this day 12 April in Irish History EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 12:33 pm

notdevsson wrote:

Have a nice one! cheers bounce sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 12 April in Irish History   On this day 12 April in Irish History EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Quote :
12 April 1928: First aircraft to make the East – West crossing of the Atlantic. The crew was Colonel James Fitzmaurice, Captain Kohl, and Baron von Heunfeld. They left Baldonnel airfield on the aircraft ‘Bremen’ and flew all the way to Greenly Island, Newfoundland, where they made a forced landing after a flight of 2,300 miles in just over 36 hours.

I have a notion there's a monument and all kinds of recognition of Fitzmaurice in Portlaoise. A very interesting airplane artwork and a place named after him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 12 April in Irish History   On this day 12 April in Irish History EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 12:52 pm

Kate P wrote:
Quote :

I have a notion there's a monument and all kinds of recognition of Fitzmaurice in Portlaoise. A very interesting airplane artwork and a place named after him.

How very brave they were, the early pilots. Did I here that something like the first ten or elevent to try the Atlantic didn't make it? Much more dangerous that today's space travel, which is an amazing thought.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On this day 12 April in Irish History   On this day 12 April in Irish History Empty

Back to top Go down

On this day 12 April in Irish History
Page 1 of 1