Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

'Club Med' and Sarkozy

Go down 
AuthorMessage

'Club Med' and Sarkozy Empty
PostSubject: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 1:23 pm

Sarkozy and Merkel unveiled a new scheme for a mediterranean equivilant to the EU, designed to boost ties with mediterranean countries. http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/world/2008/0314/1205104771720.html

Unfortunately, the EU already has such a scheme: the Barcelona Process. The main difference, as I see it, is the exclusion of non-Med countries (that's you and me) and the bigger role of non-EU med countries.

Methinks this will overshadow the Barcelona Process, which would dilute EU influence in the area. Not neccessarily a bad thing, if it wasn't for the fact that France will be the key country in this. Turkey doesn't want a part, as they see it as a poor man's EU.
Back to top Go down
AuditorGeneral
Blastocyst
AuditorGeneral

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 3:27 pm

Back to top Go down
https://machinenation.forumakers.com

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 5:55 pm

what's germany got to do with the med?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 6:17 pm

lostexpectation wrote:

Perhaps their interest has more to do with Turkey.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 6:18 pm

lostexpectation wrote:
That's the weird thing. Germany seems to oppose the new scheme, as it would dilute their influence in the area via the Barcelona Process. Why Merkel unveiled it with Sarkozy is the question.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 6:19 pm

riadach wrote:
lostexpectation wrote:

Turkey isn't part of the new scheme.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 6:34 pm

905 wrote:
riadach wrote:
lostexpectation wrote:

Turkey isn't part of the new scheme.

It may have been the original aim though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 6:57 pm

When france was elected I said Sarkozy would be good for france and bad for everybody else. I also said his would be the most damaging claws in my beloved EU.

More are more this seems to be the case.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 7:06 pm

Doesn't he have local elections or something coming up? Please God it will put him back in his box.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 7:07 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
When france was elected I said Sarkozy would be good for france and bad for everybody else. I also said his would be the most damaging claws in my beloved EU.

Funny, the opposite seems true of Merkel. Loved abroad, but barely keeping it together at home. It's like ying and yang with those two.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 7:10 pm

905 wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

Funny, the opposite seems true of Merkel. Loved abroad, but barely keeping it together at home. It's like ying and yang with those two.

They should come together. Reform the carolingian holy roman empire. Forget all that fussing and feuding that happened after Louis the Pious. The world needs a hre. Get lotharingia to rejoin too and Northern Lombary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 7:18 pm

I was think that combined, they could really be the making of the EU. And of all the French leaders, Sarkozy looks to be the most likely to go setting up holy empires. Would come naturally to Merkel, of course. And they have a common enemy in the from of the Other: Turkey, playing the Moor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 7:28 pm

the first round was last week and sarkozy party lost alot of ground
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 10:50 pm

lostexpectation wrote:

Happy memories:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrika_Korps

Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 2:05 am

I was idly browsing the English Wikipedia today when I came across an article about the Famine.

Is the following paragraph true?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Hunger#Ottoman_humanitarian_aid_during_the_Great_Famine

If true, perhaps it would make some opponents of Turkish entry to the EU reconsider
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 2:21 am

i think there is a statue in Drogheda. France, c'est toi? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 2:36 am

cactus flower wrote:
i think there is a statue in Drogheda. France, c'est toi? Very Happy

Mais oui. Vive le Québec libre!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Club Med' and Sarkozy   'Club Med' and Sarkozy Empty

Back to top Go down

'Club Med' and Sarkozy
Page 1 of 1