Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Exciting exchanges in the Dáil

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Exciting exchanges in the Dáil Empty
PostSubject: Exciting exchanges in the Dáil   Exciting exchanges in the Dáil EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 am

Exciting exchanges in the Dáil PaulConnaughton
Will the Taoiseach tell the House if the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government has brought the file on the European Union habitats directive on the 32 raised bogs to the Cabinet? We sincerely hope it will not lead to thousands of turf cutters being driven off the bogs of Ireland. Has a decision been made? The Taoiseach represents a constituency with a large number of bogs, as I do, which perhaps qualifies us as two bog men.

Exciting exchanges in the Dáil JohnODonoghue
We do not want to get bogged down in the matter.

Exciting exchanges in the Dáil BrianCowen
The then Minister, Síle de Valera, successfully obtained a derogation of ten years when the directive was announced.

I am talking about the current position.

I am just about to bring it to the Deputy’s attention; I was giving some background information because there are others who are not as acquainted with the habitats directive as the Deputy and me. Correspondence has been forwarded to Deputies in the House who have raised the matter by the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, stating the Department, in consultation with the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, is considering the appropriate legislative and procedural response to a judgment of the European Court of Justice on the implementation of the directive on the assessment of the effects of certain public and private projects on the environment with respect to certain classes of agricultural development. There are no proposals to bring forward further legislation regarding the designation of bogs and the banning of turf cutting on them.

Can we cut turf this year or not?

It depends on the weather. We will see how it looks in the morning.

Exciting exchanges in the Dáil MichaelDHiggins
They can use the sleán but not the sausage machine.

Exclamation

For peats sake! Our country is getting submerged in the mire and they are quipping in the Dáil ?! Sod them!

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20090225.xml&Node=435#N435
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Exciting exchanges in the Dáil   Exciting exchanges in the Dáil EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 8:32 pm

Exciting exchanges in the Dáil Other18

won't somebody think of the heather!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Exciting exchanges in the Dáil   Exciting exchanges in the Dáil EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 4:49 pm

I'd go with Michael D there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Exciting exchanges in the Dáil   Exciting exchanges in the Dáil EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 5:41 pm

As I understand it a tiny number of bogs have been closed in Connemara. John Gormley came to Galway to hear the concerns of the (four) people affected but indicated that no changes could/would be made.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exciting exchanges in the Dáil   Exciting exchanges in the Dáil Empty

Back to top Go down

Exciting exchanges in the Dáil
Page 1 of 1