Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Big Bollox of the Year Award

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Big Bollox of the Year Award Empty
PostSubject: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 7:33 pm

This thread is for examples of the species of humanity known as big bolloxes. Please don't use it for purposes of defamation. All examples must have been subject to the due process of the law.

This guy sued the midwife who successfully delivered his child, because he claimed she interrupted his videoing of the birth while she resuscitated the baby. Thankfully, case dismissed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0225/1224241775771.html

Can anyone top that?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:44 am

OK. I spent 6 hours thinking about bolloxes, but I can't think of a bigger one right now.

Sorry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:47 am

Me neither.

Unless of course it is the lawyer who told them they had a good case?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:47 am

candide wrote:
Me neither.

cheers
Never thought of that.

It has been topped Cactus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 12:46 pm

Fair does, but I'd call it a dead heat. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 pm

I was going to post a few obvious candidates but noticed the OPs restriction that all must have been subject to the due process of the law. We all know that's not going to happen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 7:01 pm

There's no shortage of bollixes around, but finding one that meets the criteria is tricky. CF's guy is a prize winner for sure - the poor old midwife. If I spot someone I'll bring them back here to be put in virtual stocks. We'll need a plentiful supply of these:

Big Bollox of the Year Award U17888936

This one goes to the first nominee.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 7:16 pm

candide wrote:
Me neither.

The lawyer was a genius. These guys were probably convinced that they were going ahead with the case anyway so the lawyer just did the work for them and will still get paid at the end of the day. Easy bit of work! I'm sure the solicitor was very grateful for it given the current state of the profession vis-a-vis actually getting any work. Out of my friends (about 20 of us) only 2 of us have managed to secure a training contract anywhere and its deferred by a year with no guarantee of the job being there in a year... less and less likely that it will be at this stage. Any trainee I know who has just qualified has been let go. I would say solicitors will take any work they can get!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 7:54 pm

I wondered about that. I would hope that a self respecting solicitor would do his level best to put a client off in a case like that. With that said, if the client insisted on it and if the solicitor was doing other business for the same client it would be very hard to refuse them. If the solicitor didn't have other business for the client he would do well to send him elsewhere. It is the type of case that could damage one's reputation in the eyes of the judiciary.

People do sometimes have to follow their hearts and go against the advice of their legal advisers in the hope that the Judge will come to the right decision when he hears oral testimony and gets to look the witnesses in the eye. A solicitor has to respect his client's instructions in those instances even if the case looks very weak on paper. Sometimes it takes big cajones to pursue a just case. Other times, one might be dealing with the Big Bollox of the Year.

In New South Wales there is a law whereby if a judge decides that there is no reasonably arguable case in a personal injuries action the costs can be awarded against the solicitor with a bar on recourse to the client!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 3:17 am

is it ok to make three nominations, eg a poster, a moderator and an administrator from p.ie? tongue
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 3:19 am

bagel wrote:
is it ok to make three nominations, eg a poster, a moderator and an administrator from p.ie? tongue

You 've got two Hopes of that mate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 3:26 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
bagel wrote:

i probably wouldn't get a seconder anyway as the people i have in mind are probably highly regarded by other p.ie posters who're members here
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 3:47 am

bagel wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
bagel wrote:

i probably wouldn't get a seconder anyway as the people i have in mind are probably highly regarded by other p.ie posters who're members here

Or maybe not. Depending and depending ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 3:51 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
bagel wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
bagel wrote:

Or maybe not. Depending and depending ..

they probably know themselves anyway so i'll content myself with that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Bollox of the Year Award   Big Bollox of the Year Award Empty

Back to top Go down

Big Bollox of the Year Award
Page 1 of 1