Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Economic History: Argentina - La Deuda Eterna

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Economic History: Argentina - La Deuda Eterna Empty
PostSubject: Economic History: Argentina - La Deuda Eterna   Economic History: Argentina - La Deuda Eterna EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 12:44 pm

As if you weren't depressed enough, I present to you a documentary I came across on youtube on the Argentinian collapse of the early part of the century. Ordinary people regretted that they hadn't horded foodstuffs and other things to get them through the hiatus period which is probably why many Americans are doing it now. Apparently luxuries we take for granted like toiletries became currency on the black market; cosmetics which became unaffordable for women were used to bribe female civil servants in order to get basic services like renewal of your car tax before the others in the queue.

We just don't know the stuff they went through and perhaps many Americans are fearful of this happening and if the pain is assymetrically spread it's highly unjust of course but overall, a society which is irresponsibly spendthrift, wasteful and arrogant perhaps deserve it. Or does it ... ?

It's an hour and a half long. Enjoy ... yeah right

Documentary on the events that led to the economic collapse of Argentina in 2001 which wiped out the middle class and raised the level of poverty to 57.5%. Central to the collapse was the implementation of neo-liberal policies which enabled the swindle of billions of dollars by foreign banks and corporations. Many of Argentina's assets and resources were shamefully plundered. Its financial system was even used for money laundering by Citibank, Credit Suisse, and JP Morgan. The net result was massive wealth transfers and the impoverishment of society which culminated in many deaths due to oppression and malnutrition. Official name: Memoria del Saqueo by Fernando Solanas 2003.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=rH6_i8zuffs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVSw5X2pVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPddW3da2aA

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Economic History: Argentina - La Deuda Eterna Empty
PostSubject: Re: Economic History: Argentina - La Deuda Eterna   Economic History: Argentina - La Deuda Eterna EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Audi

If I have a bit of time I may come back to you on this. Argentina is a country that has very dubious democratic structures and allegations, of outside interference abound. This is a country that has considerable resources but poverty abounds. Tremendous potential but (like much of South America) it needs proper governance and management and an end to the malign influence of outsiders.

Bit swamped with work and have a need to travel again.
Back to top Go down

Economic History: Argentina - La Deuda Eterna
Page 1 of 1