Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit Empty
PostSubject: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:10 pm

A couple of papers are running with this story today.

It seems that a senior manager at the hospital has sent an email around to staff, telling them that an exorcist has been hired to banish a ghost that has been trespassing for the last while and frightening the bejaysus out of people. Apparently the hospital was built on top of an old Roman road - the ghost sports an all black outfit, topped off with a fashionable cloak.

Here's the story the Sun's carrying: LINK.

Here's another version from the Telegraph: LINK.

What do you guys think? Any believers? Any scoffers?

I fall into the clan of scoffers myself.

We could make an interesting poll out of this. How many people believe in ghosts?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:17 pm

It sounds like a leg-pull to me. I do, as a Catholic, believe in the existence of ghosts and the possibility of possession, but am extremely wary of the misapplication of the phenomenon to cases involving mental or physical conditions. I saw an exorcism at a Catholic church once, scary stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:17 pm

My dad sits on the board of a nursing home and they had a lady there who was getting very agitated that she was seeing a ghost every night. So agitated that it was causing difficulty for other patients at the facility and thus an investigation had to take place. It eventually transpired that whilst you cannot really see nurse's faces when it is dark, you can still see the white of their uniform.

I tend to think their is a logical explanation for most of these things. Particularly when it occurs somewhere like a hospital where those experiencing it may be well below par or even lacking some or all of their faculties.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:23 pm

It's a strange subject. I've chatted about it here before and am aware of the beliefs of some of our members.

I don't think belief in ghosts, or disbelief, can guage the character or intelligence of a person. I know far too many people, a lot smarter than myself, who believe.

Despite my lack of belief, it's a subject that fascinates me. It's a belief that's really stood the test of time and even predates most, if not all, known religions. My own thinking is that such beliefs may have inspired most religions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:28 pm

I have never come across anyone who claims to have actually seen a ghost although I know a couple of people who live in supposedly 'haunted' houses. I know plenty of people who say they have experienced other sorts of supernatural phenomenon beyond deja vu.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:34 pm

johnfás wrote:
I have never come across anyone who claims to have actually seen a ghost. I know plenty of people who say they have experienced other sorts of supernatural phenomenon beyond deja vu.

My dad and his brother, when kids growing up in rural 1940s West of Ireland, saw the ghost of their dead younger sister in their bedroom one night, a glow lighting up the room around her. I'd dismiss this as imagination, except their sisters, my aunts, saw the same in their own bedroom the same night, and ran out terrified and screaming and woke my grandparents up. They all, devout Catholics, swear before God that it happened. I believe them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:35 pm

I've met loads of folks who've claimed to have seen ghosts. Even my mother claimed to have seen the ghost of my father when I was a child - eventhough he was very much alive at the time - long story...

There's even, would you believe, an example of a murder case in the US, where a man was convicted on the evidence supplied by a ghost - though the ghost did not appear at the actual trial.

That said, I've never come across an example where evidence of such and entity or event was provided and stood up to examination, with its credibility intact.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:40 pm

I suppose its a fairly difficult thing to display evidence for unless you catch it on camera... which of course "cannot lie"...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:55 pm

johnfás wrote:
I suppose its a fairly difficult thing to display evidence for unless you catch it on camera... which of course "cannot lie"...

The good ole camera... There was a time when it was true mind you... Sortof Smile

I meant to include this in my last post. It's a link to the story about that murder trial that used ghostly evidence. Very strange stuff.

The Greenbrier Ghost
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Did anyone see the Antiques Roadshow about 3 weeks ago when the granddaughter of these girls was on it? Interesting stuff:

Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit Cottingley2
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 8:06 pm

I don't believe in ghosts, but they still scare the crap out of me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 8:07 pm

Have you ever wandered up by the hellfire club at 2 in the morning telling ghost stories, EVM? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 8:21 pm

johnfás wrote:
Have you ever wandered up by the hellfire club at 2 in the morning telling ghost stories, EVM? Very Happy

Nope. I'm a hide behind the sofa man when the ghosty movies are on. 6th sense was tough going. The vampires in Salems Lot nearly killed me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 9:06 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Nope. I'm a hide behind the sofa man when the ghosty movies are on. 6th sense was tough going. The vampires in Salems Lot nearly killed me.

If you liked Salem's Lot, then you'll like this. A Swedish film about child vampires - indeed a masterpiece of it's genre
1 min trailer
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=enjhW8AT5y4

Maybe it could be downloaded here
oops that link was a bit naughty - heh heh

I'm like you Hermes I don't believe but I am fascinated by ghosts - at least when the theme comes up and there seems to be some evidence for it because it sort of would be a verification of the Afterlife which I don't believe in.

I know bloodsuckers exist though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 6:58 pm

Does the unwanted spirit not have a right to healthcare as well? They'll have to call in an exorcist to banish it from the courts when it takes judicial review proceedings against its expulsion, or would that lead to an undesirable amalgamation of church and state?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 7:02 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
Does the unwanted spirit not have a right to healthcare as well? They'll have to call in an exorcist to banish it from the courts when it takes judicial review proceedings against its expulsion, or would that lead to an undesirable amalgamation of church and state?
That would be an ectoplasmic matter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit   Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit Empty

Back to top Go down

Derby Hospital Calls Exorcist to Banish Unwanted Spirit
Page 1 of 1