Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

STAD taking the piss!

Go down 
AuthorMessage

STAD taking the piss! Empty
PostSubject: STAD taking the piss!   STAD taking the piss! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 1:25 am

You can read about the story from the Indo -
http://www.gaelport.com/index.php?page=clippings&id=4519&viewby=date

Turns out because of a loophole in the law and some muppet having too much time on his hands, the council will now have to replace Stad signs with Stop in a Gaeltacht village in Donegal

How someone would go to the bother and be so petty I'll never understand. If someone can't figure out what a stop sign is when it looks the same and is written 'stad' - the language of the area - then they're idiots and are a danger being on the road in the first place... The Gaeltacht is an Irish speaking area - its signs should and largely does reflect this, just like signs in France are in French, German in Germany etc etc. Stupid negative campaigning on the complainer's part... idiotic and pathetic....

(I know I shouldn't get as annoyed as I am.... but in fairness like! Razz)

I'm sorry I can't develop this post further... I'm late for flight - I'm going to go buy a holiday home in rural France and complain to the council that their road signs are in French....

SEAFÓIDEACH!

STAD taking the piss! Geill_sli
Cad the feck does that mean? I WANT EVERYTHING IN ENGLISH AHHHHAHRHARHARHAHRHAHRAHRHAAHRA
I'M TOO THICK TO BE CULTURALLY UNDERSTANDING..... RRAARRRRAAAR
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STAD taking the piss!   STAD taking the piss! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 1:28 am

In fairness it's up there with those who insisted that cigarette cartons carry warnings in both Irish and English that smoking kills.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STAD taking the piss!   STAD taking the piss! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 1:31 am

You want to see piss taking? I was paying for my parking in Dublin at lunchtime today and have a look to see what the parking meter said at the coin return bit.

STAD taking the piss! Image010
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STAD taking the piss!   STAD taking the piss! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 1:37 am

STAD taking the piss! 1231320-Arabic-stop-sign-0

An Óinseach Eachtrach wrote:
'I've been watching with interest the ongoing roadworks and I have been intrigued by the 'Stad' signs.

'I've travelled extensively and have always taken a keen interest in road signage. In every country -- even those using the Cyrillic alphabet which doesn't have the letter S -- 'Stop' signs appear at junctions with major roads.'

What a tool. Although the NRA or whoever issue that road rules book could have changed the booklet couldn't they ?

If you don't respect the language of an area then you should feck off back to where you came from unfortunately the Law is an ass.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STAD taking the piss!   STAD taking the piss! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 1:38 am

Quote :
You want to see piss taking? I was paying for my parking in Dublin at lunchtime today and have a look to see what the parking meter said at the coin return bit.

STAD taking the piss! Image010
Thanks for thinking of us and taking a picture. I bet you were wondering all day how to fit that into a thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STAD taking the piss!   STAD taking the piss! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 1:39 am

905 wrote:
In fairness it's up there with those who insisted that cigarette cartons carry warnings in both Irish and English that smoking kills.

era why not... i don't want my monoglot irish speaking friends getting disease from the shmokes like Surprised
and whatever you'd think of that, ya man's in a different league altogether - he's going out of his way to do some negative campaigning because of some stupid loophole.... A LANGER LIKE, FACT! Surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STAD taking the piss!   STAD taking the piss! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 1:44 am

spot on audi!

the more i think of it though the more i'm worried about the fact that this has annoyed me more than any reports of bad conduct and fraud in anglo-irish and all that... yeah right
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STAD taking the piss!   STAD taking the piss! Empty

Back to top Go down

STAD taking the piss!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Vibes and Scribes :: Language & Culture-
Jump to: