Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Crazy Driving Laws

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Crazy Driving Laws Empty
PostSubject: Crazy Driving Laws   Crazy Driving Laws EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 6:56 pm

RTE are highlighting that the issue of zero tolerance in regard to alcohol and driving is being considered once again for learner drivers.

Quote :
The introduction of zero alcohol limits for learner and newly-qualified drivers is among proposals the public is being asked to consider as part of a new licensing system.

The eight-week consultation process is being launched by the Road Safety Authority.

RTE News

I am not raising this issue in terms of supporting people drinking and driving. In fact my personal belief is that people should not drink anything and then drive. Although clearly there should be some tolerance on breathalysers for residual alcohol levels and/or readings caused by other issues.

However, what does get up my wick is the discriminatory nature of this proposed law which is, in my opinion, both perplexing and dangerous. Surely it is either safe to have a level of alcohol in your blood or it is not. It can't be both. There is no scientific situation whereby after one passes their driving test they achieve a higher level of alcoholic tolerance vis-a-vis the speed of their reactions. This is a nonsense. There should be one rule across the board when it comes to issues like this.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Crazy Driving Laws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazy Driving Laws   Crazy Driving Laws EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 7:10 pm

I agree it is a nonsense, yet the longer term plan may be to phase it in, starting with new/learner drivers. There is an element of policy grandfathering in there I'd say.
Back to top Go down

Crazy Driving Laws
Page 1 of 1