Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Let us Prey

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Let us Prey Empty
PostSubject: Let us Prey   Let us Prey EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 10:36 pm

Isn't it time this convoluted mess was brought to an end and all complaints of child abuse were dealt with in the normal way by the Gardai?

Quote :
Health chiefs are to be investigated over the handling of clerical abuse allegations in the Catholic Church, it emerged tonight.

Children’s Ombudsman Emily Logan said her office will probe if there has been any maladministration by the Health Service Executive (HSE) and Department of Health when it carried out an audit on child protection issues in Dioceses across the country, including Cork’s scandal-hit Diocese of Cloyne. (Breaking News)
Back to top Go down

Let us Prey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let us Prey   Let us Prey EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 2:42 am

Yes, it is and frankly I don't know why such allowances are seemingly made for the Catholic Church.
Back to top Go down

Let us Prey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let us Prey   Let us Prey EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 4:13 pm

Can anyone explain this in legal terms? and are Tribunals generally muddying the waters of investigation and prosecution of crimes. On the other hand, are people's names muddied by Tribunals that don't have to meet the standards of proof of a Court?
Back to top Go down

Let us Prey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let us Prey   Let us Prey EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 4:20 pm

I haven't followed it hugely to be honest. Partly because alot of the structures and that were all set up and put in place when I was in my early teens and I wasn't that interested.

However, I presume the Tribunals exist for a few reasons, three spring immediately to mind. They stop a plethora of actions coming before the courts, they provide a limitation on damages and they were a concession to the Catholic Church which was institutionally quite powerful at their conception.
Back to top Go down

Let us Prey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let us Prey   Let us Prey EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 4:02 am

I was listening to Mariane Finucane this morning and there was a priest on the show. He was very agreeable in terms of what he was saying etc. However, I was utterly shocked that he didn't seem able to articulate the child protection policy of his own institution vis-a-vis Garda reference etc. There is the root of your problem. Organisational disaster.

I hate to be critical here but in my Church we have clearly annunciated guidelines. Every single person who is interacting with children must first have Garda clearance. There must always be at least two adults supervising children, there must always be a male and a female adult. We have to keep huge amounts of information, consent forms, medical conditions etc in case of any emergency when kids are on our premises or on a trip away. We must take a record of any accident or anything of that nature which occurs at such an activity. All allegations must be reported to the Gardaí and there is a commitment to keep parents informed at all times. In regard to emotional child protection confidentiality can never be promised to a child under the age of 18, any allegation of improprietary in any regard must be reported to both the Minister and the designated lay person for child protection within the congregation who then have their own mandated procedures which they must follow. We have clearly displayed posters on our premises outlining the child protection policy for all parents to be aware of and a quick reference guide is provided to all adults who are leading groups of children as well as a guide which is given to all children.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Let us Prey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let us Prey   Let us Prey Empty

Back to top Go down

Let us Prey
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Religion Philosophy Law :: Law and Justice-
Jump to: